The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Show us your Sho-Bud Permanents
Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2019 1:55 pm    

I'm curious how many folks still have these great old Sho-Buds.
Here is my 68 perm.

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2019 4:20 pm    

Here's my early 60's D10 rosewood Madison:

And here's my probably 58 or so original D10 Madison:

They're both great sounding, great playing guitars. I still prefer the music that was being played when these guitars were new, and don't really touch my newer guitars much these days.

Dave

Jay Jessup

Charlottesville, VA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2019 12:57 pm    

You could still buy a new Permanent in 68? Learn something new everyday! As a young steel player in the 70's I thought the pull release changers were ancient history that should be left there. However since I now own one I realize how misguided I was in my youth. The pedals aren't hard, the travel might be a little longer but I find that you can be much more expressive with your feet with those old changers because of the feel they have than with modern guitars.
Here's mine, Tommy White learned how to play on this guitar as it was his Dad's. I think it's a 64 or so and was converted to a SD-10 at Sho-Bud in the 70s. Sorry about the poor pics.

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2019 1:59 pm    

A late 50s, I think. Bobbe Seymour had it, then Chris Scruggs. It trickled down to me a couple years ago.

Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

David Ball

Post  Posted 17 Sep 2019 2:13 pm    

That one of Kevin's looks an awful lot like my rosewood guitar. Both still have the little taper of the neck going into the peghead that the later ones don't have, and don't have the adjuster screw on the pillow blocks holding the changer.

It strikes me though that Kevin's guitar has black fingerboards, and the card cluster on the front apron has the club and the spade also black. On mine, the fingerboards are white, as are the club and spade on the front apron. I know on mine, the pickups are wound on rosewood formica looking material to match the rosewood necks. I've seen pics of other permanents that also had pickup colors that matched the neck color. Seems that at least in the Madison era, the Sho Bud folks were attentive to that kind of detail. Wonder if the card cluster colors/fingerboard colors are consistent too?

Dave

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2019 6:05 am    

I put the “card cluster” on myself. It came without but I just HAD to have that on the front.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

David Ball

Post  Posted 18 Sep 2019 6:38 am    

You obviously have good taste and color coordination!

Dave