The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Fender Tone Master Twin Reverbs....only 33lbs!
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2019 7:28 am    

Looks like the Deluxe Reverb does NOT have a Mid control,,like the Twin does? Seems strange?

Rick Heins

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2019 7:47 am    

Sonny Jenkins wrote:
Looks like the Deluxe Reverb does NOT have a Mid control,,like the Twin does? Seems strange?

Deluxe Reverbs never had a mid control. They a have an internal fixed mid control that’s set at 5 in the amp and have bern this way since Leo made them in 1963-64. Smile

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2019 9:49 am    

Thanks,,,I am not that familiar with the vintage amps,,,just comparing the current ones.

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2019 10:29 am    

I look forward to trying one out. I use a lot of backline reissue Deluxes and Twins for away gigs and the biggest bummer of that is the consistency of the Twins. The Deluxes are always good and super consistent from one to the next, but about one out of four of the reissue Twins has been really quite bad sounding in my experience. Hoping these new twins are in improvement in that regard.

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2019 1:33 pm    

OK, so I'm a gear whore. I couldn't stand not knowing, and got one from Sweetwater, free shipping (and great CSR's and all. Full disclosure: I was in a band for awhile with a guy that worked at Sweetwater years ago. Great buddy, so I'm loyal).

I'm definitely the last person that should be reviewing this amp, what with all the mega-experienced pros that populate this site, but I'll take one for the team and put the red laser dot on my rookie forehead:

The amp sounds fantastic with my old Sho-Bud Pro I, fantastic with my Zum Encore, fantastic with my strat, my Clinesmith, and my Asher.

It is more amp than I really need 80% of the time. I'm a small town, small bar, small-time player. We occasionally open at outdoor venues for "the real bands". This Twin will be great for those outdoor gigs where we need all the watts.

But most of my use will be in very small bars, elks club gigs, jam sessions, and of course practicing. The ability for this amp to dial in that 'twin' tone for any room is just really great. I've only had it a week, but it's looking like I will put up for sale a pile of amps that this will replace, including: an Old Gibson Twin, a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, an old '65 Princeton black face (that will be hard to part with, but this amp does all that too), and a Quilter 201 with cab.

The BIG added bonus for me with this amp is that I play blues harp with a lot of the local bands around here also. This amp with a Shaker mic, and the attenuator switch dialed down to 12 watts or 22 watts, makes for a driving Paul Butterfield-style kick ass amp. All the honk that I would ever want, for any gig, big or small.

Is it as tasty as the old tube Twins? That sound that I grew up with? My back says "hell yes!"
Of course, I've got tinnitus, so you'll have to be the real judge. . .Winking

Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2019 3:59 pm     Twin

Rick,

Any chance this amp might make a showing at the Dallas show next March? I'm sure there would be a lot of interest to the steel community at this event.

Thanks,

Don

Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2019 3:50 am    

A question for Rick:

I used to own a silverface Twin, but I sold it for two reasons – over 100 lbs with the JBL speakers, and the intermodulation distortion that comes with all tube amps to some degree. Now I play a DR 65 reissue (very nice), which has less intermodulation, but it is still noticeable at times. Will the new Twin show less intermodulation, like other solid state amps, or have you "cloned" that part of the sound as well?

Rick Heins

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2019 9:18 am    

Per Berner wrote:
A question for Rick:

I used to own a silverface Twin, but I sold it for two reasons – over 100 lbs with the JBL speakers, and the intermodulation distortion that comes with all tube amps to some degree. Now I play a DR 65 reissue (very nice), which has less intermodulation, but it is still noticeable at times. Will the new Twin show less intermodulation, like other solid state amps, or have you "cloned" that part of the sound as well?

Per Berner, We tried to replicate a Twin as close as possible so there will be some distortion as the amp is turned up but it stays clean up until after 7, which at 85 watts is pretty loud. If you're looking for an amp that has no distortion at all this might not be the amp for you but if you love the way a Twin sounds and feels this is a great alternative!

Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2019 10:45 pm    

I have no problem with an amp distorting naturally a bit when cranked way up high, that can be quite desirable at times. What bothers me are those pesky "wolf notes" that can occur at any volume when playing two or more notes together. It can get very annoying when bending one note more than the other, such as when stepping on the A & B pedals or playing counterpoint licks. My SS amps show very little of this, but it has been audible in all the tube amps I've tried/owned... Probably not something that would be noticed in a band setting or in a recorded mix, but when playing alone at home it is a bit disturbing.

Rick Heins

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2019 2:25 pm    

Per Berner wrote:
I have no problem with an amp distorting naturally a bit when cranked way up high, that can be quite desirable at times. What bothers me are those pesky "wolf notes" that can occur at any volume when playing two or more notes together. It can get very annoying when bending one note more than the other, such as when stepping on the A & B pedals or playing counterpoint licks. My SS amps show very little of this, but it has been audible in all the tube amps I've tried/owned... Probably not something that would be noticed in a band setting or in a recorded mix, but when playing alone at home it is a bit disturbing.

Per Berner, I posted a clip earlier in this thread that might help. I don't notice these wolf notes you mentioned but maybe I don't know what to listen for or my setup is different than yours. These should be hitting Europe any day now so maybe you need to try one in person and see if it might work for you.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2019 2:12 pm    

Sounds wonderful to me Rick. You can here that warm depth that we always got from the old Tube Twins. I like. Going to look into this. That is the sound that I still look for and I have tried just about every amp that is out their sometime or other. I would want with a lite weight 15" speaker. Hope you make that happen. An Eminence 15" C Speaker would work fine in this amp. Just my two cents worth. Thanks, J. R. Rose

Charlie Thompson

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2019 10:47 am     Wattage

Rick you reference 85 watts above for the twin but all the info says its 200 watts?

Rick Heins

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2019 12:24 pm     Re: Wattage

Charlie Thompson wrote:
Rick you reference 85 watts above for the twin but all the info says its 200 watts?

Charlie, The 200 watts is Class D power in order to replicate the 85 tube watts it puts out. We do that so the loudness and power is the same but I can understand why it might be confusing. Hope this helps.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2019 12:23 pm    

I ordered the Twin model. I had a (AB768) Twin years ago and except for the weight loved it.

I've been through the Quilter's, both the Steelaire and the new Travis Toy combo and found them too bright for me.

The amp is due for delivery Saturday from Sweetwater.

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2019 1:53 pm    

I bought the Twin version 3 weeks ago and couldn't be happier. I will keep the 1970 Twin in the office except for special occasions.

forrest klott

Grand Rapids Mi USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2019 6:01 pm    

Out of curiosity, what is the warranty time period?

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2019 6:33 pm    

If bought from Sweetwater, 2 years parts and labor:

https://www.sweetwater.com/about/warranty/

Looks like the Fender warranty is similar:

https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Original/10002/Fender-Squier%20Brands%20Amplifier%202%20Year%20Limited%20Warranty%20REV%20JAN%202017.pdf

"Fender warrants that the Fender or Squier amplifier product you have purchased shall be free of any defects in parts and
workmanship if used under normal operating conditions for a period of two (2) years from the date of purchase or initial lease,
including footswitches, covers, speakers, cabinets, handles and cabinet hardware, except vacuum tubes are warranted for a
period of ninety (90) days from date of purchase or initial lease (“Limited Warranty”). This Limited Warranty applies only to
the original retail purchaser or lessee when purchased or leased from an Authorized Fender Dealer and is subject to the
limitations set forth herein. IMPORTANT: PLEASE RETAIN YOUR ORIGINAL SALES RECEIPT, AS IT IS YOUR
PROOF OF PURCHASE VALIDATING THIS LIMITED WARRANTY. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Rick Heins

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2019 8:44 am    

Jack Stoner wrote:
I ordered the Twin model. I had a (AB768) Twin years ago and except for the weight loved it.

I've been through the Quilter's, both the Steelaire and the new Travis Toy combo and found them too bright for me.

The amp is due for delivery Saturday from Sweetwater.

Hope you enjoy it, Jack. I've had a lot of steel players that are digging theirs. I'm sure the Travis Toy amp is great as well. In some ways, it's a great time to play steel with so many choices when it comes to amps!

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2019 11:19 am    

looking forward to hearing your report Jack.

Congrats on a great product Rick! Just when you think there's nothing new left to invent or market in a guitar amp, this comes along. The internet buzz on these amps is off the charts!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Rick Heins

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2019 1:59 pm    

Greg Cutshaw wrote:
looking forward to hearing your report Jack.

Congrats on a great product Rick! Just when you think there's nothing new left to invent or market in a guitar amp, this comes along. The internet buzz on these amps is off the charts!

Thank you kindly, Greg. We're extremely happy that there's been such a positive response. Especially since there can be a huge bias against digital amps from the tube community.

Dale McPherson

Morristown, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2019 5:11 pm    

Ok guys, mine was delivered this week and I opened the box tonight. Hooked it up, strummed across the strings and knew it was a winner. It's a little different with the power switch and mute. Very versatile thru several ranges. It has lows, mids and highs. I am anxious to play with it and see just what it will do. I have never been a fan of 12" speakers for a steel but I think I am going to like it.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2019 5:41 am    

FedEx delivered the amp at 8:30PM last night.

Initial tests this morning, its a keeper. I did a short test with my wife's GFI S-10. I'll know more when I get my Franklin set up and test, but that won't be until Tuesday.

The more conventional acting (at least what I like) tone controls are one plus I noticed. The classic Fender reverb sounds good too.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2019 6:08 am    

I know this isn't exactly what Rick wants to hear but, for what it's worth, IF I were in the market for an all-purpose amp I'd look no further than this new Fender!

I'm almost regretful that I have no justifiable reason for buying one - its apparent versatility, power and price-point are 'bang on the money'. And I know it'd be perfect for my beloved Telcasters.

If only I were a younger man! Sad

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2019 7:09 am    

I hear you Roger. About a year ago I bought a Quilter Steelaire...put a semi-back on it to tame the high's and run it through a black box. I would have bought this new Fender if it were available at the time.

I've spent a small fortune doing the nonsense "speaker change-out" game over the years. If it doesn't sound right stock...dump it!

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2019 7:29 am    

Jack Stoner wrote:
FedEx delivered the amp at 8:30PM last night.

Initial tests this morning, its a keeper. I did a short test with my wife's GFI S-10. I'll know more when I get my Franklin set up and test, but that won't be until Tuesday.

The more conventional acting (at least what I like) tone controls are one plus I noticed. The classic Fender reverb sounds good too.

Jack, I'd be more curious of what you thing once you get it on a stage live. We both know that an amp sounds very different once you get it out of your practice room. Let me know. Also, what are your thoughts on the two speaker vs. one on that amp?

Ron