The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Fender Tone Master Twin Reverbs....only 33lbs!
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2020 10:16 am    

I just left the Fender room at Dallas. The Twin amp is light but lifting it up yourself is still an amazing experience. I heard two different players get a really clean but warm tone out of these with an Emmons Legrande, a bit of delay and amp reverb set on 2. Nice tight bass on the lower strings. Definitely an amp to consider for pedal steel. To my ears the sound was not at all like any of the transistor amps, even the FET based ones, and not exactly like a tube twin. Just really impressive all around on the pedal steel!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2020 12:28 pm    

Greg, that's great to hear. I have one on the way. I wish someone would video a few of these at the show and post them.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2020 12:30 pm    

Is anyone using one on stage?

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2020 12:58 pm    

Stage and small room amps are mostly Telonics. No video allowed just pictures. No one here including Fender is actually selling the amps. I asked the Fender rep if their was a special steel show price and was told no.

Last edited by Greg Cutshaw on 13 Mar 2020 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2020 1:00 pm    

Greg Cutshaw wrote:
Stage and small room amps are mostly Telonics. No video allowed just pictures.

Audio is usually allowed, though, so if someone uses one, please try to get an audio recording.

Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2020 9:30 am    

Dumb question...does it void the warranty if you add tilt back legs ?

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2020 12:55 pm    

The power attenuator works really nice on these amps.
The Twin has tilt back legs.
I like a stand better.

Roy McKinney

Ontario, OR
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2020 3:09 pm    

OK, what settings are everyone using?

Willem Langeveld

California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2020 11:11 pm    

Quote:
Dumb question...does it void the warranty if you add tilt back legs ?

Well, the Tone Master Twin comes with tilt back legs already, just like a regular Twin. But I have it on an amp stand anyway.

Willy.
Dekley S12 5-4 with Alumitone PU, Telonics Pro volume pedal, Peterson StroboPlus HD tuner, Peavey Nashville 112 with Strymon Big Sky reverb or Headrush Pedalboard with my own pedal steel patch, or Fender Tone Master Twin Reverb with Strymon Big Sky through the normal channel.

Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2020 4:29 am    

Well, I’m “jonesing” for one now. Based on the demo’s I’ve heard, it’s the best sounding non-tube amp I’ve ever heard.

Mark Gough

Sault Ste. Marie Ontario
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2020 9:12 am     Fender Tone Master Twin Reverb Serviceability

Does anyone know if the Fender
Tone Master Twin Reverb is field serviceable after the warranty expires?

Jay Dee Maness

North Hills, CA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2020 6:14 pm     new twin

Rick, Jaydee Maness here. I would like to try one of the New Twin amps sometime. I live in NorthHills in the San Fernando valley. If this could be arranged after the lock down eases let me know.

Roy McKinney

Ontario, OR
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2020 6:19 pm    

Hey JayDee, come on up to Oregon. I have one here in the house. Would be great to see you again. Been a lot of years since American Legion at March AFB. Hope you are doing well.

Rick Heins

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2020 9:08 am     Re: new twin

Jay Dee Maness wrote:
Rick, Jaydee Maness here. I would like to try one of the New Twin amps sometime. I live in NorthHills in the San Fernando valley. If this could be arranged after the lock down eases let me know.

JayDee,

I’d love to have you try a Tone Master Twin and get your feedback! Reach out to me via Private message here and we can figure out something when things get back to a little more normal. I’ve had a few steel players tell me “you should have Jaydee try this amp out!”

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2020 7:13 am     Guts are clean

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2020 9:01 am    

It is based on amp modeling technology.
Only models one amp and seems to do a good job.

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2020 9:21 am    

I've been trying to learn to record at home during the shutdown. Although it didn't matter much to me when I bought the TM Twin, that XLR out is proving extremely useful now! Also, with the attenuator, I can get a little bit edgier sound for electric guitar and then a cleaner sound for steel.

Scott Akers

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2020 7:52 pm    

Is anybody using this for both their pedal steel and 6 string electric? On most gigs(when you still could)I play psg and tele and wonder if this might be a good solution? Does the attenuator affect both channels?

Thanks

Willem Langeveld

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2020 10:27 pm    

I have used it like that. Guitar on the vibrato channel using the reverb there, or using a reverb pedal (I sometimes put my Headrush Pedalboard before the amp), and pedal steel on the normal channel through a Strymon Big Sky reverb pedal. The attenuator affects both channels equally, so it is somewhat difficult to get the volume right for both without adjusting the attenuator. But sounds great! Only need one amp, and... 33 lbs Smile

Willy.
Dekley S12 5-4 with Alumitone PU, Telonics Pro volume pedal, Peterson StroboPlus HD tuner, Peavey Nashville 112 with Strymon Big Sky reverb or Headrush Pedalboard with my own pedal steel patch, or Fender Tone Master Twin Reverb with Strymon Big Sky through the normal channel.

Jim Bloomfield

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2020 8:15 am    

Where are these amps made?

Rick Heins

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 13 May 2020 9:31 am    

Jim Bloomfield wrote:
Where are these amps made?

The high tech parts are made in China but final assembly and the cabinets are made in Ensenada, Mexico. Hope this helps.

Rick

forrest klott

Grand Rapids Mi USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2020 10:35 am    

Hi Rick,

Please check your email/PM’s?

Thanks!

Skeeter

Charlie Thompson

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2020 5:47 pm    

Scott Akers wrote:
Is anybody using this for both their pedal steel and 6 string electric? On most gigs(when you still could)I play psg and tele and wonder if this might be a good solution? Does the attenuator affect both channels?

Thanks

I have used this for many gigs on Steel and Tele. It is a great amp for this purpose and is the main reason I have it. The attenuation is global to both channels. I prefer the 45 watt or less setting for guitar, so I have learned how to reach around back and switch it without looking when I switch instruments, no big deal.

I would add that I recently got a great sounding Webb and plan to use it on most steel only gigs.

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2020 3:30 am    

Dan Beller-McKenna wrote:
I've been trying to learn to record at home during the shutdown. Although it didn't matter much to me when I bought the TM Twin, that XLR out is proving extremely useful now! Also, with the attenuator, I can get a little bit edgier sound for electric guitar and then a cleaner sound for steel.

Yes...the XLR direct to the board (interface) and then turn the speaker off with the mute switch (which is what used to be standby), then use one of the two mic sims.....works great!

Scott Akers

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2020 4:26 pm    

My Tonemaster Twin arrived last Saturday. So far all playing has been at relatively low volume. Have the chance to gig June 15th and can say more about live sound after that, but.....still up in the air about playing out at this time.

First Impressions:
As mentioned by many before, the attenuator is handy for playing at home, and 1 or 5 w setting is plenty in my limited space. Volume 4, Treble 7, Middle 6, Bass 6, Reverb 2. Can't wait to use it live. I've played through a 76' silver face twin for years (mostly 6 string) which never sounds good at low volume, so this TM is a winner there. Not to knock my faithful SFTR, I love it, ..... but it's heavy. Hoping to use this TM as a multi purpose amp for pedal steel, 6 string, and lap steel on the gigs where I need all 3.

For stealth home playing:
Signal chain is Carter D-10 -> Goodrich Volume Pedal -> TU-2 Tuner -> Sparkle Drive Mod -> Barber LTD -> Carbon Copy Delay -> TM Twin -> line out -> Scarlett 2i2 -> Imac -> headphones.

playing around with both the Barber and Sparkle drive to try and get a good OD slide sound when playing stuff like the Faces "Stay With Me". Band recently added Adam Hoods "New Deep Ellum Blues, but using my old magnatone lap steel tuned to A for that one. Sounds good through this amp too.

Novice at recording but the IR out sound seems so much better, even with my limited playing and recording experience, than any preset or customized amp sounds I've been able to whip up in Logic-Pro.

I've enjoyed reading what ya'll have posted about the pro's and con's of this amp. They were a great help in my ultimate decision to buy one.

Thanks Again!