The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tim Marcus - Question
Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2019 1:08 pm    

Tim , I have a Bugera 12" turbo sound speaker in a closed cabinet and am thinking about getting the 50 watt milkman. How would the amp match up to this speaker for steel guitar?

I have a DV Mark 50 that really doesnt give me the sound I want live. It does fine on recordings but I'm just not real happy with the amp live. I was thinking that It might be the speaker with the closed cabinet because everyone else talks great about the DV and it is a great little amp.

Tim Marcus

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2019 5:37 pm    

I am not a fan of closed back cabs for pedal steel - they are usually too boomy compared to their open back counterpart. A Bugera speaker might not have the voicing you want for steel either - to compensate for the closed back they may have used a very mid forward voicing which does not always jive with steel guitar. In my experience, steel guitar begs for a mid scoop a la Fender/JBL/Jensen.

The 50W Amp pedal has a mid scoop built in plus the added scoop from a 12AX7 - I can not speak to the DV amps but my guess is that they are using an active EQ with mid sweep and you have to add the scoop on your own if you want it. Compared to a scooped 12AX7 and Fender style tone stack its just never going to be a fair fight in my opinion Very Happy
Milkman Sound on Twitter

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2019 8:02 am    

Thanks Tim.