The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Eminence Beta 15 speaker?
George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2019 4:41 am    

I have been told that you can't hear any difference between the $89.00 Beta 15 and the $225.00 EPS 15. I have read that the EPS 15 and a JBL D-130 sound the same. Has anybody had experience with the Beta 15 and the EPS 15 vs. the JBL D-130? I think the EPS 15 was designed to be a replacement for the JBL, as was the Black Widow 1501.

Last edited by George Kimery on 12 Sep 2019 8:33 am; edited 4 times in total

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2019 6:21 am    

George, what you've read and heard are opinions, and they sound like opinions that many would not agree with. I normally just try to apply common sense when confronted with these types of claims. Does anyone really believe there's no difference (other than size and price) in 8" speakers and 15" speakers?

Really? Winking

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2019 8:21 am     Eminence Beta 8 speaker?

Donny, you're right on the money. I can't count the times that I have went with opinions only to be disapointed. I misunderstood on the Beta 8. The person was referring to the ohms, not the speaker size. The Beta 15 is the 15" speaker.

Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2019 10:48 am    

I cannot compare the two, but when I upgraded the speaker in my 22-year old Evans SE200, I went with what Scot Buffington recommended, the Eminence Beta 15. It was a big improvement over the stock Eclipse speaker (also lighter). I liked it enough to buy another Beta 15 for an extension cab.

Interestingly enough, the guitar player in our band has a Beta 15 in his vintage Standel amp, and it sounds good with his Tele.

For what it's worth.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2019 12:30 pm     Eminence Beta 15 speaker question?

Tommy, Scott was the one that told me that the 15" Beta and the much more expensive EPS 15C, for all practical purposes, sound the same. Nice to hear some positive feedback on the Beta. For the time being, I will stick with my JBL even if it is 8-10. LB heavier. My SE 200 is 50.3 LB with the JBL. I am guessing with the Beta, 42-43 LB.

Billy Morgan

Talladega, Alabama
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2019 7:22 am     Eminence Beta 15 speaker?

I was needing a 12 inch speaker and Scott recommended a 12 inch Eminence Beta II. I bought one and installed it in an old Peavey Bandit 65. After breaking it in, it is my opinion the Beta is the best speaker you can get for the money. I have purchased two more and one of my friends (with a good ear for tone) has also purchased two. When I first put the speaker in, it I was a bit disappointed but after breaking it in it just keeps sounding better and better. I am running two amps on my job (a Nashville 400 with a Black Widow along with a Bandit 65). I have nearly all of the Peavey amps made for pedal steel including a Session 400, an LTD 400 and a Vegas 400. I am completely satisfied with the tone from the 12 inch Beta. If you are looking for an inexpensive speaker for pedal steel, I would recommend it highly. I know everyone has their opinion, but this is mine speaking from experience with the Eminence Beta.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2019 7:51 am     Eminence Beta 15 speaker question?

Thanks, Billy. Down the road, I may make an extension cabinet for my Evans SE 200. It sounds like the Beta would be a good choice for that application.