The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ohms law question?
George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2019 11:06 am    

If I total all the wattage on gear and divide by 117. that will give me the total amps being pulled, right?
I just got in today a Furman Power conditioner that is rated at 15 amps. My amp is 200 watts and my PA is 200 watts for a total of 400 watts. Ohms law says I am pulling 3.418 watts so with a 15 watt power strip I should be good to go, right?

Bill A. Moore

Silver City, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2019 11:17 am    

I never remember all the formulas, but I do know P = I x E.
117 V X 15 A = 1755 W capability.

Jeremy Moyers

Lubbock, TX
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2019 11:48 am    

I believe that you are correct, but to make sure I want to make sure that you know that the wattage that you use in this calculation is the wattage in power (electricity) that your amp uses, not the wattage of the power amplifier that is built into the amplifier. I have seen several people make this mistake in the past.

For example, a Nashville 112 has an 80 watt power amplifier but draws 200 watts in power consumption. So, in this instance 200 watts divided by 120 volts would mean that a Nashville 112 draws a total of 1.67 amps. You would be just fine.

Hope this helps....

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2019 6:12 am     Re: Ohms law question?

George Kimery wrote:
If I total all the wattage on gear and divide by 117. that will give me the total amps being pulled, right?
I just got in today a Furman Power conditioner that is rated at 15 amps. My amp is 200 watts and my PA is 200 watts for a total of 400 watts. Ohms law says I am pulling 3.418 watts so with a 15 watt power strip I should be good to go, right?

Just for clarification, the words in bold should be amps, not watts. Very Happy

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2019 7:00 am     Ohms law

Donnie thanks for the clarification. Shows how ignorant I am on this type of stuff and why I am asking questions. I have always used a plain old power strip for my amp and effects pedals which had no surge protection. Now that I have the Furman I am going to run the amp, PA, and effects pedals all through it so I have surge protection. RF and hum reduction. Looks like I will have plenty of power with the 15 amp power supply.

Thanks for all the help from everybody.

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2019 12:47 pm     Re: Ohms law

George Kimery wrote:
Donnie thanks for the clarification. Shows how ignorant I am on this type of stuff and why I am asking questions. I have always used a plain old power strip for my amp and effects pedals which had no surge protection. Now that I have the Furman I am going to run the amp, PA, and effects pedals all through it so I have surge protection. RF and hum reduction. Looks like I will have plenty of power with the 15 amp power supply.

Thanks for all the help from everybody.

George,
Furman is a very wise investment to protect your amp and gear. I use a rack mount Furman in my rack as well. Protection from electrical surge and there is also the possibility a thunderstorm could wipe your gear out just being plugged into the wall at home.
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2019 12:56 pm     Ohms law question?

Patrick, I agree 100%. I also have a Furman in my rack system. I just got a combo amp last week so I decided I needed protection for it and my PA. I did't want to overload by running both so this is why I was asking, just to be sure.

PS: I have a Furman 8 input rack mount for $30.00 if anybost is interested.