The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Peavey Nashville 112
Francesco Porcu

Italy
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2019 5:56 am    

Hi everyone, who ever did the tests between the two amps? What is the difference between the old and the new model? Thanks to those who will answer me. Francesco Smile

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2019 6:08 am    

I have a friend that had an older NV112 and now has one of the new versions. After speaker break-in he says it sounds the same.

One issue, the new model has soldered in op-amp chips where the old model was on chip sockets.

Francesco Porcu

Italy
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2019 11:01 am     Peavey Nashville 112

Hi Jack, thank you for your reply in my post, but I don't understand the fact of welding what you mean .. Francesco

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2019 2:21 am    

On the older models, the 5 Op Amp chips were installed on sockets. In the new version the Op Amp chips are soldered directly to the printed circuit board.

Francesco Porcu

Italy
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2019 3:06 am     Peavey Nashville 112

Here now it is clearer to me on fact there are some demonstration videos on you tube where they show the replacement of the micro cip to have a cleaner and less dark sound to what I understand from the video, I don't understand why Peavey doesn't make the amp come out of the house perfected if they know that a person will then change it. Smile

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2019 4:52 am    

Because many users are happy with the amp the way it comes from the factory.

h

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2019 6:40 am    

I would say that at least 99% of people are happy with a STOCK Nv112. That is why they bought it.

When the new NV112 was designed, most of the old techs at Peavey were gone.
The first batch that came out, did not sound good at all. I got a call from Mike Brown, saying that Hartley Peavey would like for me to come to Meridian, MS with my steel and my original NV112 (one of the first ones ever built).

We did an A/B comparison with my amp and a new amp. The new amp sounded like it had a blanket over the amp. Hartley told his engineers, "Do not ship any of those amps to customers".

So they kept my original NV112 for 6 months and went through it part by part to see what was different with the new models. Seems a few small parts had been substituted in the new model.
Hartley had his crew in Meridian open every box and change out the parts. Then he read the riot act to the company building the new amps in China.

So, the new NV112 sounds just like the original NV112, except maybe a little better, because of some modern technology.

Peavey is still having the speaker built in the USA and shipped to China to install in the new amps.

You can't go wrong with either an old or new NV112 and IMHO, leave it STOCK.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Francesco Porcu

Italy
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2019 12:33 pm     Peavey Nashville 112

Thank you very much Bill for your intervention, for me it was very important what you wrote, then I will buy a new Nashville 112, I thank all those who answered in my post, a greeting for you from Italy .. Francesco

Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2019 2:53 pm    

Bill Ferguson wrote:
When the new NV112 was designed, most of the old techs at Peavey were gone. The first batch that came out, did not sound good at all.......We did an A/B comparison with my amp and a new amp. The new amp sounded like it had a blanket over the amp.
So they kept my original NV112 for 6 months and went through it part by part to see what was different with the new models. Seems a few small parts had been substituted in the new model.

Man, I'd LOVE to know exactly WHAT those parts were!!