The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Soft case for lap steel and stand?
Jim Rossen

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2019 9:55 am    

Seems like this two compartment case might be useful for a guitar and stand or legs.

Jim

https://www.amazon.com/Covert-Homeland-Security-Adjustable-Shoulder/dp/B01D15AKVY

Nelson Checkoway

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2019 11:13 am    

Jim - You beat me to it! I'd been looking for a lap steel bag and settled on a lightweight 36" single rifle bag from 3VGear that I found on Amazon last month:

I traveled with this by train down to a club in NYC in early January--light and easy! (And somewhat surprised that no security or police at Amtrak stopped me to ask what was inside the bag--which is designed to carry an AR-15 assault rifle!!)

A few weeks ago I reopened my search, this time for a bigger bag to fit a Remington Steelmaster D-8 that I recently acquired. I found this 36" double-rifle bag from Savior also through Amazon:

The nylon covered foam pad effectively separates the "legs" and "body" compartments and both bags have additional side pockets for cords, strings, picks, bars, tuner and effects (I even was able to fit a neo vent Leslie sim and power supply)

Both have a heavy duty handles and shoulder straps and the larger bag has back-pack straps (though carrying a D8 console on your back is not what I had in mind!).

Some of the hard rifle cases can be good to pack a lap steel for flying and some have pick-out foam to form fit for the instrument---check out those from Plano Mfg. thru Amazon. Best news is that these are all in the $50-60 range -- much cheaper and/or more protective and practical than comparable bags made for small keyboards or the few that are made for specific lap steel brands.

Important: measure your steel and check out the internal dimensions of the bag listings very carefully, including some posted in the comments and reviews that might conflict with the "official" internal measurements. It's worth looking at a lot of bags to find as close to perfect fit as you can.

Spread the word!

Michael Butler

California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2019 9:59 am    

you may want to check chromacast. i found a good deal on a gig bag for a uke. i purchased thru amazon tho.

play music!

https://www.chromacast.com/products

http://muscmp.wordpress.com/

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2019 4:06 pm    

Hi Nelson, old thread and you might not see this, but do you happen to have measurements of your steelmaster? I'm considering the 36" double rifle Savior bag for my Magnatone D8. I guess I could return it if it doesn't fit...but it'll be a lot easier to carry than in the original HSC which I'd rather just keep in nice condition given its age (and this would be a lot lighter relatively).