Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I don't play at Steel Guitar Conventions
Bo Legg

Post  Posted 4 Sep 2019 10:32 pm    

Barry Blackwood wrote:
Quote:
I don’t approach the E9 in a conventional or recognizable style

If you don't want to sound 'recognizable' as a steel, why bother playing one? Confused

Because I like my unrecognizable style!!
click here

David Rattray

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2019 5:03 am    

Bo that is mighty fine playing....love it......David... Cool

Bo Legg

Post  Posted 5 Sep 2019 9:15 am    

Thanks David.
But I'm just a guitar player who will never learn how to play the E9 in a conventional manor simply because I'm lazy and use Theory instead of seat time!

Duncan Hodge

DeLand, FL USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2019 12:02 pm    

Well Bo... I don’t play at steel guitar conventions, either. That’s only because nobody ever asked me to and I still play poorly after all these years. After listening to the post of your playing, I think that you are a good enough to play at one. From what I have gathered around here, some people will complain about just about everybody’s playing.
Whatever you do, have a great night.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2019 12:34 pm    

I have yet to play a steel guitar show, but I'd like to give it a shot. I can't play as well or improvise like a lot of my heroes, but I play some unique things. (for what it's worth, I find 'unconventional' very refreshing at a steel show)

I'm sure I would make some mistakes but I think the steel guitar crowd is a friendly and forgiving bunch. I've been to many shows and seen both great and not-so-great performances but I never heard anyone complain. always compliments, encouragement, and acceptance.

Last edited by scott murray on 5 Sep 2019 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Drew Howard

Post  Posted 5 Sep 2019 12:42 pm    

I don't play shows, they died off with the players.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2019 12:55 pm    

St. Louis is done, sadly. but we've still got Dallas, a big show in Nashville this weekend, also Atlanta. there are lots of smaller shows around the country and around the world happening on a regular basis. they're not the size of St. Lou or Dallas, but I prefer a smaller show anyway... especially if I'm thinking of playing.

we've lost a bunch of our greatest players it's true, but there are still several left and a lot of truly great younger players and lesser-knowns. the state of steel guitar is strong and in good hands

Last edited by scott murray on 5 Sep 2019 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2019 12:58 pm    

Drew Howard wrote:
I don't play shows, they died off with the players.

Aww, Drew... You know there are a boatload of amazing, world-class players still playing steel shows. For example, just to name a few off the top of my head:

Paul Franklin, Bobby Black, Johnny Cox, Milo Deering, Russ Hicks, Doug Jernigan, Sarah Jory, Jay Dee Maness, Ronnie Miller, Steve Palousek, Buck Reid, David Wright, Joe Wright... and so many more.

Man, where I live, I almost never get to see any of this caliber of player. But if I go to a show, I get to see dozens in a single weekend! That charges my battery up real good for quite a while! (Or else it makes me want to go home and burn my equipment. Could go either way but that's a risk I have to take. Wink )

Not to mention hanging with the gang, seeing new gear that's available, attending seminars (heck, I went to a half-day seminar with Paul Franklin at a show last year...) etc., etc. What's not to like?

p.s. BTW, I think I met you years ago when you played a show in Michigan. Played a really good set too, as I recall! Wink

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2019 5:49 pm    

I use to play 3 or 4 shows a year, but haven’t
Played but 1 in the last 3 years. Officers in
the clubs have changed and clubs aren’t run
like they use to be. I always had a female singer
And we was well received. I’m not a top
Player, but people liked our variety. People
ask why we’re not doing shows any more
so I just say we aren’t invited. Things sure
change don’t they. Thanks for the post Bo.

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2019 10:40 am    

The last steel show I played was in 2017, and it was one of my favorite shows to play because Dawn Jackson asked me to play steel with her on a song she'd written called "That's What Angels Can Be", and it was an awesome experience because Dawn is a wonderful friend and a wonderful singer! And, in 2006, I played steel with Laney Hicks while she sang "Once A Day". And, at a few of the shows I played in Atlanta, one of my favorite bass players in Georgia, Sheri Dresser played bass with me-to play onstage with Sheri on bass was absolutely amazing, because Sheri is a wonderful singer, bass player, and friend to me! I now play acoustic jam sessions every Thursday and Friday night, and also play Dobro guitar in the band at my church. The last steel show I played was June 17th, 2017. I'm not the best steel player/Dobro player or anything, I'm just happy with what I do, even with mistakes. If there are mistakes, I just laugh and still play, or if I forget the words to a song while singing, I laugh and start the song again

Last edited by Brett Day on 6 Sep 2019 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Eric Philippsen

Central Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2019 2:00 pm    

Dick Wood wrote:
I have a hard enough time playing without having a couple hundred pickers breathing down my neck counting every clam.

Yep...those that count every clam. After all these years I can tell the difference between those who compliment you but are just saying it, and those who compliment you and mean it.

Mike Ester

New Braunfels, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2019 11:04 am    

Personally, I have no business playing for such events.

I used to participate in a local jam. But after hearing enough of the other (and better) players, I realized that I still suck even having been doing this since 1980. I was just embarrassing myself in front of them and the audience. I haven't been back, and I haven't been missed.

I had one of those better players tell me that "I thought outside the box" with my playing. I can't say for sure, but I think it was a back-handed compliment.

I'm lucky that I still have a gig with a band. But in that environment, the audience doesn't know any better. I'm able to fool them into thinking that I actually know what I'm doing. Also, there are rarely any other steel players in the house at my gigs. That helps to take the heat off of me.

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2019 12:48 pm    

I played music for 45 years and was never aware it was a contest. I thought music was the ability to convey emotion through pitch and tone. For instance I would rather hear Floyd Cramer play 3 little slip notes in just the right spot on a slow ballad than to hear Jerry Lee Lewis bang on the piano all night long. That never spoke to me. After he was almost retired he recorded the song Middle Age Crazy and I said Yes! Now Jerry Lee is speaking to me. I personally don't go to steel shows because I'm afraid I'll get steel poisoning. I'm a record producer more than anything and dearly love the sound of a steel guitar but to me it's a spice around a singer more than anything. I'm allergic to an overdose of C6th and the boo-wah pedal. Lol!

Ronald Moore

Mindoro, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2019 6:00 pm    

I play about three shows a year. They are not a competition. If they were, I wouldn't do them. For me it's not so much about the music, but the good friends and other good people you meet (Jim Cohen being one of them)

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2019 8:57 pm    

Ronald Moore wrote:
I play about three shows a year. They are not a competition. If they were, I wouldn't do them. For me it's not so much about the music, but the good friends and other good people you meet (Jim Cohen being one of them)

Bingo! There's the best reason to go. It's good to meet and talk to people that enjoy the same thing. Far better than any golf game or fishing trip. That's why I go to anything I suppose.