The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Just a pic of me and my Excel D10
Glenn Demichele

(20mi N of) Chicago Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2019 7:19 pm    

Played a fun show with "Davidson County Band" in Highwood IL at their annual "Nashwood" festival. Highwood has lots of restaurants and bars, and every year they have been doing this clever thing where the whole town becomes "Nashville" for three days and every bar has country bands, and there are 5 or 6 street stages too. I'll bet there were more steel players there than in the real Nashville. I really love that guitar. We had a crowd of over 1,000 people - beats my regular gig at the BBQ joint.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2019 4:20 am    

Live music in the street! Pretty awesome and great pictures. I remember playing at block parties years ago when live music and real garage bands were king. Nice pics and thanks for posting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2019 5:51 am     Just a pic of me and my Excel D10

holy cow how did i miss this Crying or Very sad would have love to come to highwood to see you glen. did a lot of drinking in that town in my younger days Cool Laughing

p.w

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2019 5:58 am    

Wow, what a cool event! Had never heard of it, either.

No purple Franklin?

Jeremy Threlfall

now in Western Australia
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2019 4:51 pm    

appears he has gone from purple Franklin, to purple Excel. Maybe next a purple Derby and then maybe a Clinesmith
http://ralwaybell.bandcamp.com/

Glenn Demichele

(20mi N of) Chicago Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2019 7:14 pm    

Hi:
Yeah Paul, "Highwood" got its name for a reason.
I love my Franklin, but the Excel is lighter, takes less room and plays and sounds great. I thought the Franklin was more "irreplaceable" than the Excel too, so safer to take out, but now I'm not so sure. The Excel is actually a "Midnight Blue" front with a black top. It looks black in most settings, but when the light hits it right the blue really jumps out. It does look purple in this pic though. I still play the Franklin out, but only on art gigs when there might be steel players in the audience (like driving the Porsche to the High school reunion, like I have one).