The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  For my BUCKET LIST!
Gary Watkins

Bristol, VA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2019 5:33 pm    

My health is pretty bad and I am not sure how much longer I have here on this earth, so I did something that may seem foolish to some, but to me it makes a lot of sense. This is a beautiful EMMONS SKH, and it looks brand new. It has the DAY set-up, so I am trying to learn that as well as learn a little C6. I just can't tell you how happy I am about this.

Larry Jamieson

Walton, NY USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2019 5:58 pm    

Beautiful guitar, Gary. Enjoy it and have fun. Spend your time living, not waiting to die.

Dennis Brion

Atwater, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2019 6:16 pm    

That is a beauty Gary!

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2019 6:24 pm    

Have Fun And God Bless To You Gary!!!!! Was on my Bucket List about 40 years ago. It's been a long journey and lot of fun. Met a whole lot of great people over the years, even some abroad. Me and my Sho Bud Pro I traveled to Ireland in 2009. Had a great time. Playing a Super Pro D10 now as my primary guitar.

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2019 8:33 pm    

Good for you Gary! As you well know, you live in an epicenter of American Music. It’s in the air and water, and now in your house.
Enjoy!
John

Carl Williams

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2019 3:22 am    

Go for it Gary! Carl

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2019 4:46 am    

Quote:
The butterfly counts not months, but moments, and has time enough.

Rabindranath Tagore

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2019 6:43 am    

Way to go Gary. I made a similar decision when my wife passed in 2016. Let's live and enjoy what we have available. Excellent choice of starter guitars. It's a beauty.

Gary Watkins

Bristol, VA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2019 10:43 am    

I had to go to my VA doctor this morning and now they are putting me on oxygen. This steel is so heavy (for me) that I had to have my neighbor help me to set it up in my living room. Well, I guess this is where it will remain until I die, LOL. I just hope I die while playing it.

Emmons catalog link: http://www.jedistar.com/pdf/emmons/Emmons-Catalog-2011.pdf

Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2019 4:15 pm    

Gary,
I hope your beautiful steel brings you years of happiness.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2019 9:46 am    

Beautiful exsample an looks to have the good keys congratulations on a beautiful steel!

Doug Taylor

Shelbyville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2019 12:15 pm    

Enjoy your new guitar Gary, reading the posts here make me smile. I wish you many years playing your new steel.

Gary Watkins

Bristol, VA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2019 8:30 am    

Do any one you think if would hurt the value of my SKH if I put a backing plate behind the EMMONS name plate? Not that I'm going to sell it, but I'm just asking because I have the chrome plate now, I just haven't put it on.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2019 11:44 am    

Gary I would not change anything on that Beauty!

Gary Watkins

Bristol, VA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2019 11:52 am    

Johnie King wrote:
Gary I would not change anything on that Beauty!

Johnie, you don’t know how much I respect what you have to say, so I won’t do anything to it, just like you suggested. Thanks Johnie!

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2019 12:00 pm    

Yes Gary I just took another look at your Emmons short key head wow the End plates are perfectly snug against the cabinet that’s a plus!

Gary Watkins

Bristol, VA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2019 7:54 pm    

My serial number is: 253L. How do I find out the year it was made? I hope I don't have to get rid of it, but I am having a real hard time with the DAY set-up. As bad as I play, and believe me, I am BAD, this SKH makes me sound GREAT! Maybe I am not giving it enough time, but I have played the EMMONS set-up so long that I don't think I can play a steel with the DAY set-up. Any suggestions, other than just keep trying?

Jack Goodson

new brockton,alabama (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2019 5:45 am     photo of underside?

gary, i am curious if this guitar came from the factory as a day setup,if it came as an emmons and has been converted to the day setup it will be easier to change back to the emmons. i ca let you know if you will send me photos. if it was emmons original, and the knee levers are in the correct position if you will get it to me i will change ot for free....thanks jack

Gary Watkins

Bristol, VA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2019 7:25 am     Re: photo of underside?

Jack Goodson wrote:
gary, i am curious if this guitar came from the factory as a day setup,if it came as an emmons and has been converted to the day setup it will be easier to change back to the emmons. i ca let you know if you will send me photos. if it was emmons original, and the knee levers are in the correct position if you will get it to me i will change ot for free....thanks jack

Jack, I think it came from the factory as a DAY set-up. I appreciate your offer to help me get it changed over. Tony Prior offered to do it for me free also. I am just too sick and weak to get it to you or Tony, even if you lived next door to me. Other people learn to play the DAY set-up, so I guess I can too. It gives me something to work on, LOL. Again, thanks for the offer.

Jack Goodson

new brockton,alabama (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2019 7:30 am     set up

gary, if it came as a day from the factory then u have to change the location of the levers. good luck with the health problems, i have seen a lot of miracles happen....thanks jack

Gary Watkins

Bristol, VA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2019 8:07 am    

Getting ready to clean my SKH. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H-I7Jv9Aww

This should work out just fine!

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2019 3:51 pm    

That’s a funny video. First time I viewed I thought it was for real and my jaw dropped😂

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2019 5:36 am     Backing plates

Gary..I installed them on both of my SKH Emmons and assuming that you have the same style plate as mine, adding them should in no way affect the value of your guitar. They install utilizing the same screw holes as the name plate so no drilling is required, are easily removable, and IMO, enhance the appearance quite a bit.