The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel at Burbank's Viva Cantina?
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2019 12:35 pm    

Question Question

I was just telling a Pasadena steel student to get out and hear L.A. steelers at Viva Cantina in Burbank. Found their Facebook page, looks like management has changed, I didn't see one country band on their music calendar. Is that right? And if so, are there other joints in L.A. that still feature country bands, ideally with steel players? Ernest Bovine, Skip Edwards, Mike Perlowin, et al, please clue me in to the current local scene.

¡Muchas gracias! Question

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 27 Aug 2019 12:50 pm    

It appears Viva Fresh became Viva Cantina and then closed. Mr. Bovine would know more about this I'm sure.
I've been out of the loop since the mid-nineties. Not an endorsement, but all I know of is this..
http://www.thecowboypalacesaloon.com/home.html

Last edited by Barry Blackwood on 27 Aug 2019 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2019 1:01 pm    

All I can suggest is that you look at the schedule to see who will play there. Things have changed since the days of Cody, when I used to play there. The new owner, Peacha, learned quickly that bands will play for free, and from what I hear, the transition to free bands is almost complete. In fact, tonight will be the last John Pisano Guitar Night at Viva, because John insists that his sidemen get paid.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2019 1:48 pm    

Mad Sad

How sad. So many great acts, country, rockabilly and Americana, played there. So is there any other venue near Pasadena with steel guitar players?

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2019 2:23 pm    

Viva is alive and kicking... I play there every Sunday afternoon at the jam, headed by Pete Anderson. Don't think there's much steelin' going on there these days, though.
As far as playing for free...I get paid a little whenever I play there... not a lot of money, but at least it's a long drive in traffic...

For steel, The Cowboy Palace probably has more...it's a line dance joint with country bands. There's also a few places like that in Orange County.

Jay Dee and I play with Cody Bryant every Wednesday night at the Burbank VFW.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2019 5:18 pm    

Earnest Bovine wrote:
All I can suggest is that you look at the schedule to see who will play there. Things have changed since the days of Cody, when I used to play there. The new owner, Peacha, learned quickly that bands will play for free, and from what I hear, the transition to free bands is almost complete. In fact, tonight will be the last John Pisano Guitar Night at Viva, because John insists that his sidemen get paid.

To me thats demeaning, and it sickens me that there are fine talented musicians that give away their talent while someone is profiting from it.. Maybe I am not as noble as some, but I would never play for free unless it was for a cause i believed in.. Would not do it to sell beer, sorry... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2019 5:38 pm    

I AM WITH YOU BOB. J.R. Rose

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2019 8:28 pm    

I live not foo far from there, and one of these Sundays I may schlep my gear down to jam with Skip and Pete.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 28 Aug 2019 7:40 am    

The Cowboy Palace has been transformed into nothing more than a social club thanks to the line dancers and Djays. I think the "honky tonk" aspect left the auditorium a long time ago... Oh Well

Ron Shalita

California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2019 7:32 pm     Done..

I moved back to LA 12 years ago, and played all the local joints and never got paid, I have all over the world and its not that I think i am too of that , but I do feel like it would have been nice to make a little something for driving in the traffic.. this one joint in Culver City even made us pay for our own beer.. so it got old fast and now I play at home for my Dogs ..

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2019 7:42 pm    

Where was that Ron?