The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I Think I'm Getting The Hang Of This Thing
Richard Alderson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2019 2:02 pm    

I notice you already have a lap steel tuned to C6th. You should know that on your new guitar all those C6th voicings are right there. Just engage the knee lever that lowers the E string to E flat.

Richard Alderson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2019 6:03 pm    

I notice you already have a lap steel tuned to C6th. You should know that on your new guitar all those C6th voicings are right there. Just engage the knee lever that lowers the E string to E flat.

Michael Sheehan

Everett, Washington, USA - Heading back to Florida 2021
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2019 6:15 pm    

Richard Alderson wrote:

That’s very exciting to me, although I didn’t get super good at the C6 lap steel yet anyway 😅👍.

Thanks

Michael Sheehan

Post  Posted 3 Nov 2019 12:47 pm    

Just a quick follow-up to say that I am learning something new each and every day, and I'm actually surprising myself by how natural and normal some of this is starting to feel.

Of course, I have a LONG way to go, but I'm spending more time playing than posting here.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2019 1:51 pm    

I remember the first 5 years. I would wake up in the middle of the night and find myself sitting behind my guitar for a hour or two.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2019 1:53 pm    

Oops, I spend more time reading SG forum than playing.

Mark McCornack

California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2019 10:03 pm    

Band-in-a-Box is definitely worth considering, though no need to spend big bucks on the deluxe version. Though the program is a bit lame in the user interface department, buggy, and somewhat funky sounding, it keeps Great Time, and is In Tune. These two things are super valuable and will do a great deal towards getting you up to playing with others.
Even if your not playing the hottest of hot licks right out of the shute, playing in Time and in Tune are worth 10x snappy licks any day. If you don’t have that foundation, you are missing the essentials. Just my two bits....Enjoy the journey

Michael Sheehan

Post  Posted 7 Nov 2019 10:30 pm    

Mark McCornack wrote:
Band-in-a-Box is definitely worth considering, though no need to spend big bucks on the deluxe version. Though the program is a bit lame in the user interface department, buggy, and somewhat funky sounding, it keeps Great Time, and is In Tune. These two things are super valuable and will do a great deal towards getting you up to playing with others.
Even if your not playing the hottest of hot licks right out of the shute, playing in Time and in Tune are worth 10x snappy licks any day. If you don’t have that foundation, you are missing the essentials. Just my two bits....Enjoy the journey

I was actually thinking about that! I appreciate the recommendation. Playing in tune and in time is mostly what I’m working on now (along with alternate positions/pedals for every chord).

Cool

Mark McCornack

California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2019 10:51 pm    

In Tune and In Time are hard, but essential. It can be kind of a grind sometimes, but dedicating a good bit of your practice time on refining these will go a LONG WAY to making you a player. It can be boring and monotonous at times, but the time you put in will pay off.
One thing I can tell you for sure, you can’t blame anything on the guitar Wink Our new Encores are the Bomb.

Mark Epstein

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2019 6:59 am     me, too

So, I'm 2 weeks into my journey of becoming a competent steeler. I'm finding the fact that I have played guitar for 53 years and banjo for 40 is both extremely helpful and hindering. Helpful in knowing music theory, chords, positions on the neck, etc. Hindering in the right hand. It is a new and different technique and I find myself reverting to my banjo hand setup if I don't think about it. As I told someone, it is a rewiring of many neurons.

I also embarked on the Franklin beginner series. Helpful. I also really enjoy just playing along with songs and seeing how many of the notes I can get 'right' in the right register and at the right time. That can be stressful!

Also using the Hal Leonard and Mel Bay intro books. I think it has helped me having so many different approaches to learning. They all offer a little something different.

The highlight for me in learning this instrument is now, when I listen to music of all genres, I'm blown away at how many songs incorporate the psg. I feel the same of the banjo - it fits in almost any genre if played properly.

This forum has been invaluable and I so appreciate all of you who take the time to share your expertise and experiences with us newbies!

Durango, CO

Mullens RP
'67 Fender Deluxe Reverb (original)
too many banjos

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2019 3:07 am    

You might want to look into ChordPulse. There is a free demo, but it';s not very expensive if you decide you like it, and it's very easy to use. I have found that with a lot of other aps, I could spend as much time learning and tweaking them as I ever -put into practice of my guitar - but I'm not really a techie either.

http://www.chordpulse.com/