The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Double Fret Lines on Richenbacher Model B and Intonation
David DeLoach

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2019 7:15 am    

I've been working on improving my intonation and have found the double line fret markers on my Richenbacher a great help.

I've been playing with a clip on tuner on my headstock so that I can check if I'm playing in tune. I've been focusing on sitting with the lap steel in the exact same position in my lap each time I practice, and looking at where the bar is in relation to the double lines.

For instance at the 2nd fret, from where I'm looking, the tone bar will cover the fret line closest to the nut, but the fret line farthest from the nut will still be visible.

At the 6th fret, I'll see about half of the fret line farthest from the nut.

At the 9th fret, my bar will cover both lines - but the edge of my bar with be right in line with the far edge of the farthest fret line from the nut.

Higher than the 9th fret, the double lines are not a visual help as they are both completely covered by the tone bar. But slowly working on each position with the tuner is helping me improve my intonation on those higher frets.

Of course I'm LISTENING as well and really trying to use my ears first, and then looking at the tuner to see where I'm at with the pitch.

It's slow going, but I can tell a definite improvement in my intonation after just a few days of this.

But back to the double fret lines. I'd like to shake the hand of the guy at Richenbacher who had that idea.

Any modern lap steels use the double line fret markers?

2nd Fret...

6th Fret...

9th Fret...