The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Quilter MicroPro Mach2
Jeff Buesing

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2019 7:28 am    

Hello. I recently bought one of these. I know Quilter makes the Steelaire with a 15, but I've never tried it. This Mach2 sounds great, and it's 21 lbs! Anybody else here use this amp?

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2019 10:45 am    

This guy uses it.Sounds real good to me ! It's the HD model with a 12 inch speaker tho'.
Just a little heavier and a little more expensive,but not much !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvzWXy3ox7Y

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2019 12:18 pm    

The 12" HD has been my gigging amp for the past year. Something like 21 lbs. My feelings about it range from 'sounds great' to 'sounds good enough'. I am very happy with it. I have run it straight into the board and I have run it mic'd. And I often run it unmic'd and I have not yet lacked power to keep up with a very electrified acoustic guitar into a PA.
I very much needed to lighten my load and this was heaven-sent. I have never tried the Steelaire so I can't compare.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2019 5:45 pm    

Jeff, I have one and have yet to fall in love with the sound. Today I used a Peavey classic 15 speaker cabinet from the output jack and was much happier with the tone. I added a peavey tube preamp and Lexicon Mpx1 using the Quilter as a power amp. More improved tone but added gear. The basic tone is ok but not all I wanted. Hope this helps.

Butch Mullen

North Carolina, USA 28681
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2019 6:53 am    

I have the head version. Got a lot of knobs to play with that actually changes the sound. Got 3 or 4 different cabs.Got a BW 1502-4 that I think sounds the best with steel or tele. Got a Hilton VP with the tone control, turn the treble all the way up seems to help. Like Jon says, goes from "sounds great" to "sounds good enough"YMMV. Butch in NC

A J Head

Compton Ca
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2019 2:21 pm    

I have one and seem to get the best sound through the mic input, tone knob either 10am or 2pm, or there about. Maybe not enough volume for a loud band. I need to try some different speakers

Morton Kellas

Chazy, NY, USA 1
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2019 3:33 pm    

I have the HD model and when used along with the HD extension speaker it has a very big sound, I love the combination. The HD has the Celestion BN12-300 speaker and it is a great speaker. I also have the Steelaire, one of the first 500 built and it is extremely loud,the speaker is well seasoned and sounds great. I prefer the 12" speakers in the HD version.

Jeff Buesing

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2019 7:31 am     Thanks for all the responses

I appreciate it.

Dale Thompson

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2019 8:26 am    

I have a Steelaire combo as well as a Mach2 HD combo. I have on many occasions used the Mach2 for a steel gig and have been very satisfied. Sounds incredible with a Telecaster as well!

bob drawbaugh

scottsboro, al. usa
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2019 5:23 pm    

Jeff, I have 8" version of the amp. I didn't buy it for steel but for 6 string. I have played my steel with it around the house and it sounds good. I've got a couple of Nashville 112E speakers I've also used with it. I wouldn't be afraid to play it out with a band with the 12" speakers. Even the 8" would work in a band setting if it was a small venue.