The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  PBS Country Music Special
Ken Boi

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2019 7:06 pm    

Colin Swinney wrote:
I found a great article about some of the more obvious omissions. It's a good read that is only trying to serve as an addition to the doc, rather than call it out for missing these folks.

https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/biggest-oversights-in-the-ken-burns-country-music-documentary/

As mentioned in this oversight article, I agree that Glen Campbell was really overlooked. He was mentioned but his affect in both the country and pop charts wasn’t really emphasized very well.

I didn’t catch any mention of Randy Travis, unless it was rather quick. I thought he was really big during his popular years.

On the other hand I thought Johnny Cash received too much coverage.

Overall it is a good series IMO.

Travis Wilson

Johnson City, TX
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2019 4:38 am    

Colin Swinney wrote:
On the other hand I thought Johnny Cash received too much coverage.

Overall it is a good series IMO.

Johnny Cash is the country artist that people who don’t like country music like. So I’m not surprised. I really don’t consider Cash “country”, I don’t know what I’d call it really.

Dennis Brion

Atwater, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2019 5:46 am    

I would have to agree with that statement!

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2019 7:47 am    

Nobody is more country than Johnny Cash. One concept the documentary attempts to drive home is that country music is a soup or a stew that derives its sound from a variety of sources and traditions. JC is an excellent personification of that.

Dennis Brion

Atwater, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2019 7:52 am    

Didn't say I didn't like Cash just agreed with the statement, non country fans all know Cash more for a rebel against the establishment! Can't say he was one of my favorites though, liked Hank Snow, Faron Young, Jim Reeves, Day Price...I think they all shaped country music more than Cash.

Dennis Brion

Atwater, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2019 7:53 am    

Ray Price dam keyboard!

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2019 11:59 am    

There's a place for keyboard (piano) in country music.
Just listen to Gene Watson, he has the best sounding piano on any country record I've ever heard. Very Happy
Erv

Dennis Brion

Atwater, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2019 12:58 pm    

Love Gene Watson going on the country music cruise in January he is on the cruise, Wade hayes, T Graham Brown, David Frizell, 40 others can't wait!

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2019 1:01 pm    

I think that I have more CDs by Gene Watson than any other country artist. Very Happy
Erv

Ken Boi

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2019 1:28 pm    

Dennis Brion wrote:
Ray Price dam keyboard!

Ray Price was hardly mentioned either.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2019 3:31 am    

There was a quick photo of Elizabeth Cotton at the end, but no mention of her. A small omission, perhaps, but a famous picker.

Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2019 8:09 pm    

I got the companion book in the mail today. Over 500 total pages. There's more in the way of other artists mentioned, like Stoney Edwards and O.B. McClinton, and several others. The best thing about the book is being able to spend some time looking at the pictures and reading the stories. The film was so fast paced, it was sometimes hard to absorb.

It's a very nice book, and mirrors the film series with more content. Ken Burns and Dayton Duncan also addresses the "sprawling and complicated story of what many people consider a simple art form" explaining it wasn't meant to be a Country Music "Encyclopedia" but a narrative. They also used some words of wisdom that a couple of great songwriters had told them when they discussed the agonizing choices they had to make in content selection.

Not related to the book...did anyone else notice that at the end of the film series they showed the quick picture of the Dixie Chicks followed by one of Toby Keith? Was that by design? I don't remember hearing anything of their little war of the words mentioned earlier.

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2019 4:02 am    

Kenny Davis wrote:

Not related to the book...did anyone else notice that at the end of the film series they showed the quick picture of the Dixie Chicks followed by one of Toby Keith? Was that by design? I don't remember hearing anything of their little war of the words mentioned earlier.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2019 7:40 am    

Can of worms indeed. Don't go there. No politics on the forum, please. I've deleted some replies. Mad

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2019 1:53 pm    

James Mayer wrote:
Country music is loaded with class warfare and politics. If you didn't notice that until the Dixie Chicks, it just means that you agreed with the sentiment.

And rock music isn't? Laughing Likewise with rap, folk, and reggae. In fact, some forms and genres seem (and actually are) built upon discord, but they get surprisingly little criticism about it anymore. Country music is just today's easy target. Twenty years ago, it was rap. And long before that, it was rock 'n roll.

In the end, most all music is emotion, and to a large extent, it's about struggle, strife, love and hate.

James Mayer

back in Portland Oregon, USA (via Arkansas and London, UK)
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2019 1:03 pm    

Donny Hinson wrote:
James Mayer wrote:
Country music is loaded with class warfare and politics. If you didn't notice that until the Dixie Chicks, it just means that you agreed with the sentiment.

And rock music isn't?

I didn't write that it isn't.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2019 5:17 am    

James Mayer wrote:

Sorry, I may be alone, but I can't agree with that. Being ignorant of a trend, or not noticing it, does not mean that you agree or support it. Things often get overblown in some people's minds, and what's a major issue to some is not always a major issue to everyone, nor should it be.

The two major forms of mainstream music now are rock and country. I feel that your saying that country music is loaded with class warfare and politics could give some the false impression that those qualities aren't found as readily in other types of music. That's all I was trying to say, and I'm sorry if I was misunderstood.
Oh Well

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2019 7:02 am    

Donny Hinson wrote:
The two major forms of mainstream music now are rock and country.

I disagree. "Country" is the only rock you'll find on the charts these days. There are virtually no rock bands in the Billboard Top 100. It's all modern pop, hip-hop, and what they call country.

As for real country, it's been renamed "Americana" - a much smaller genre like classical, jazz, and now rock.

Joe Alterio

Irvington, Indiana
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2019 8:23 am    

Mark O'Connor wrote an insightful piece:

https://markoconnorblog.blogspot.com/2019/10/maybe-country-music-industry-was-better.html

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2019 8:51 am    

I’d say Mark is pissed, and perhaps rightfully so. Thanks for posting, Joe.

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2019 9:17 am    

wow.
Good read.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2019 10:37 am    

b0b wrote:
Donny Hinson wrote:
The two major forms of mainstream music now are rock and country.

I disagree. "Country" is the only rock you'll find on the charts these days. There are virtually no rock bands in the Billboard Top 100. It's all modern pop, hip-hop, and what they call country.

As for real country, it's been renamed "Americana" - a much smaller genre like classical, jazz, and now rock.

b0b, I don't want to get tangled up in semantics. Billboard has no "Modern Pop" classification on their top 100 charts, but they do have "Rock". Their official chart designation for that category appears to be "Rock and Alternative"
Quote:

Billboard Hot 100 Top 20
01 October 2019 - 07 October 2019

The Hot 100 is the United States’ main singles chart, compiled by Billboard magazine based on sales, airplay and streams in the US. View the full Hot 100 here.

Singles, Albums, Compilations, Dance, Urban, Rock & Alternative, Film, DVD & Blu-ray, Streaming, Vinyl, USA, Irish, End Of Year

Here's a small sampling of what's on the singles charts this week...

SENORITA
SHAWN MENDES & CAMILA CABELLO
SYCO/ISLAND

SOMEONE YOU LOVED
LEWIS CAPALDI
VERTIGO

RAN$OM
LIL TECCA
GALACTIC

NO GUIDANCE
CHRIS BROWN FEATURING DRAKE
CBE

PANINI
LIL NAS X
COLUMBIA

BAD GUY
BILLIE EILISH
DARKROOM

CIRCLES
POST MALONE
REPUBLIC

GOODBYES
POST MALONE FEATURING YOUNG THUG
REPUBLIC

OLD TOWN ROAD
LIL NAS X FEATURING BILLY RAY CYRUS
COLUMBIA

I DON'T CARE
ED SHEERAN & JUSTIN BIEBER
SCHOOLBOY/RAYMOND BRAUN/ATLANTIC

TALK
KHALID
RIGHT HAND MUSIC

SUNFLOWER (SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE)
POST MALONE & SWAE LEE

SUCKER
JONAS BROTHERS
REPUBLIC

Last edited by Donny Hinson on 8 Oct 2019 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2019 10:57 am    

Uh, hello? Billboard?

rock and roll
/ˈˌräk ən ˈrōl/
noun
noun: rock 'n' roll; noun: rock'n' roll
a type of popular dance music originating in the 1950s, characterized by a heavy beat and simple melodies. Rock and roll was an amalgam of black rhythm and blues and white country music, usually based on a twelve-bar structure and an instrumentation of guitar, bass, and drums.

I also like the phrase “rock n roll was”....

This definition also plays into Mark O’Connor’s very comprehensive dissertation on the PBS special.

Dennis Brion

Atwater, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2019 12:47 pm    

Think I agree Fred, how could they skip so much! I really liked Buddy and the boys in the video posted after his commentary. Buddy, Jerry, Mark and those guys are pickers extraordinaire,first time I saw that video totally awesome!

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2019 6:53 pm    

I guess you're right that it's semantics, Donny. None of the songs you listed sound like rock music to me. I mean, isn't a guitar an essential ingredient? All of those songs are just synths with auto-tuned vocals. No stringed instruments - not even real drums. I can't call any of it "rock". But if you want to call it "rock", and if you want to call their country charts "country", then I suppose you're right that "The two major forms of mainstream music now are rock and country".

They just don't sound like that to me. Oh Well