The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  NEW Tommy White and Paul Franklin Course!
John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2019 4:56 pm    

Modern Music Masters is proud to announce "Contemporary Pedal Steel Guitar Volume 1", a pedal steel guitar course taught by Tommy White and Paul Franklin.

For the first time ever, these two Hall of Famers sat down behind their guitars to do a video answering their most frequently-asked questions about picking, blocking and the PF4/TW Split pedal changes.

They explain the history of these techniques, where they came from and what they have evolved into as the pedal steel guitar continues to expand its place in modern music.

This is the definitive, up-close look at Tommy's palm blocking-based technique and Paul's pick blocking style, which evolved from Buddy Emmons' pioneering approach. They even come up with a new and more accurate term for it: "The 3 - Element Technique".

With over 40 tabbed licks demonstrating the various concepts, here's your chance to have a fun and informative visit with two great players at the top of their game.

Click here for full details: Contemporary Pedal Steel Guitar Volume 1

John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2019 5:37 pm    

YouTube Trailer: Contemporary Pedal Steel Guitar Volume 1

John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2019 6:42 pm     Early Reviews Are In!

Some early testimonial quotes from players who picked up the Contemporary Pedal Steel Guitar course. See post above for more info on this amazing and informative summit of two of the instrument's finest players.

"I totally recommend this course to a player of any level. Even if you “know everything” and you’re happy with your playing, it’s worth it to just watch them talk about the instrument."

"There are a lot of nuances in this course that would take many folks a long time to discover on their own. Thanks to both of you for yet another valuable learning tool."

"There is a wealth of good info here. Wish these lessons had been around 40 years ago !!!"

"The in-depth videos are a treasure"

Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2019 9:22 am    

Paul and I covered so much in this course. Paul’s gracious and kind way of teaching in detail is obvious and out front. He’s just the best and it really is a great course. I’m honored to be a part of it. 😊

Alexander Rehfeld

Aberdeen, Scotland
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2019 10:04 pm    

Hi John, hi Tommy,

great job!! What will be the subject of the other volumes?

Greetings from Berlin
Alex

John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2019 5:08 pm    

One suggestion was a "C6 Applications" course with Paul and Tommy, where they
explore common chord progressions and demonstrate their individual approaches to playing over the various changes in various contexts.

What other topics would you like both of them to cover in future volumes?

Darrell Owens

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2019 12:49 pm     Comment

I enjoyed these interviews and especially the history and development of the PSG. Paul and Tommy covered the questions we all have about how this instrument developed.

One note: There is very little of either of them actually playing the steel. It would have been nice to see at least a couple of performances from these two masters. Other than that, I was pleased with the lesson.

John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2019 7:16 pm    

Quote:
One note: There is very little of either of them actually playing the steel. It would have been nice to see at least a couple of performances from these two masters. Other than that, I was pleased with the lesson.

Thanks for enrolling in the course and for your kind words, we truly appreciate it!

There are over 40 tabbed licks and phrases that Tommy and Paul use to demonstrate the concepts they were teaching in this course.

Now that the technique side of things has been covered, look for more lessons with Tommy and Paul playing in a performance setting in future volumes...including their individual approaches to the C6 neck.

Franklin

Post  Posted 24 Sep 2019 4:10 am    

The comment about "not much playing" pertains to the "Interviews with Tommy"...In the interviews we were dissecting, as with the "Lloyd Green" interviews, Tommy's thoughts on everything steel guitar and discussing his amazing career as a musician...

The "New Lesson With Tommy - Contemporary Pedal Steel Guitar Part 1"....Is about how to play the instrument. We play things throughout to demonstrate the various directions ,in depth, so viewing players can use that information to advance themselves forward.

I hope nobody assumes the Tommy White interviews are the same as the lesson, although anytime we can sit down to listen to masters like Tommy and Lloyd speak we are being schooled from their perspective and vast experience....Personally in my journey, I never pass up learning from masters sharing their concepts.....There is always a tidbit that flips a switch for me inside their playing experiences.

Paul Franklin

Tab Tabscott

Somewhere between Vashon Island and The mainland.
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2019 8:18 am     Getting a bigger bar.

I had no idea my bar was too short. Im 6'2" and I was playing with a 3-3/8 BJS bar (10 string). I switched to a 12 string bar and it has helped me a lot. Then I switched to the BIG DADDY 4 inch BJS bar and that's now my bar of choice.
There is a lot of good information in this course. The bar information was worth the price. I had never thought about it much.

Play nice.

They is none else.

Eddy Dunlap

Nashville, Tn
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2019 8:46 am    

Just bought it! I can't commend Paul and Tommy enough for providing this special lesson plan for our community. I'll be diving in this evening and staying in the woodshed. If anyone is wanting to refine their technique, the Contemporary Pedal Steel Guitar Vol 1 with Tommy and Paul is an essential must-have Smile