The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  EQ pedal in lieu of an amplifier Mid Sweep.
Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2022 11:29 am    

I often hear folks comment -especially in regards to various Peavey SS amps- something to the effectthat it's a good amp, but not as good for steel without a mid sweep.

Is there a way to use an EQ pedal to simulate the usual mid-sweep that a lot of players seem to apply with amps such as the Nashville/Vegas/Reno/etc? If so, what frequencies to target?

I ask, because I just acquired a Special 150 Chassis that I plan to put in my currently-ampless, loaded Reno cabinet. Maybe it will work great, but if the lack of a Mid Sweep becomes bothersome, I do have one of these...
https://www.amazon.com/JOYO-6-Band-Electric-Equalizer-Provides/dp/B085QKS9LZ
… eq pedals I could use.

Chicago Valley Railroad. Trainspotting and Bargain Hunting...
https://chicagovalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2022 1:20 pm    

Most of these pedals are not cheap and may be overkill but the discussion somewhat pertains:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=377160

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2022 5:36 pm    

The the mid shift or mid sweep control is used to move the center of the mid-range dip, which is that lowering of the frequencies between 400hz and 800hz which many steelers prefer, as the mid range output of pedal steel guitars is very prominent in this area. With the unit you have pictured, I'd suggest that you start with all the sliders in the center of their travel, and then lower the two sliders for the 400hz and 800hz bands. (Note: raising all the other sliders and leaving those two in the middle will have the same approximate effect, but give you more drive.) Generally, it's just a case of lowering the offending frequencies so you get the desired sound. Experimentation is always necessary with different units, as they will have different bands and differing numbers of bands. The more frequency bands you have, the more control you have. The big advantage of a graphic EQ over just a regular mid-shift control is that you can can have more than just one "dip". This gives a flexibility that just a mid shift control can't offer, and it's often used to simulate the sound of Dobro (resonator) guitars on a pedal steel. Of course, some players are happy with a limited number of sounds or tones. Their guitar/amp combination gives them exactly what they want and no further tone modification is necessary. But graphic equalizers can be a powerful tool when your amp doesn't have the tone your looking for, and they allow you to get sounds and tones that are otherwise impossible to get with many amps. I've used graphic EQ units occasionally to get a big bass boost from a small amp, as low wattage amps are notorious for having little power in the bass range. If you have enough bands, they're also useful for eliminating feedback or offending noise. You lower various sliders one at a time until the offending noise or feedback is reduced. All in all, they're a very useful tool, but I don't consider them as "necessary", they're just useful when your not happy with whatever your amp is putting out.

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions or concerns. Winking

Asa Brosius

Post  Posted 9 Feb 2022 6:29 pm    

I'd suggest experimenting since you own the pedal. My favorite sounds come from amps without mid shift controls, even in the clean country Franklin/Green genre. There are so many variables at play, I experience the 'steel players prefer...' as a truism, that lives almost exclusively on this forum.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2022 6:51 pm    

Lots of great amps for pedal steel don't have a mid-shift control. Start with a blackface/silverface Twin Reverb or its variants like the Dual Showman Reverb or Vibrosonic Reverb. The tone controls on these are quite interactive - for example, changing the treble control affects the center frequency of the mid control. There are other examples, including almost every vintage Fender amp ever made. A Deluxe or Vibrolux Reverb doesn't even have a mid control at all, and they sound great for pedal steel, provided you don't have to be real loud. My 50-watt Little Walter has a single tone control - again, sounds great if I don't have to be super loud.

So carefully explore variations in the tone controls you have and see what you get. If that doesn't cut it, try your graphic EQ. As I said on that thread Jon referenced, if I want an outboard EQ, I prefer a multi-band parametric to graphic. But in general, I don't find myself needing external EQ for pedal steel - I've used them mostly for acoustic instruments. But you own this graphic EQ, it costs nothing to see what it does. I personally wouldn't throw a bunch of money at an amp that I got for next to nothing unless it was something very special.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2022 9:16 pm    

The Furman PQ-3 is the ideal parametric EQ. It has three banks, each with frequencies you can select. Plus, you can not only raise or lower your selected frequency, but you can also widen or narrow the frequency bandwidth. They aren't manufactured anymore, but can be found on ebay at a high cost. I had two of them and sold one on here. Buddy Emmons used one along with a Session 400 when he recorded the live double album at the Convention in 1977.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2022 4:00 am    

Dennis Detweiler wrote:
The Furman PQ-3 is the ideal parametric EQ. It has three banks, each with frequencies you can select. Plus, you can not only raise or lower your selected frequency, but you can also widen or narrow the frequency bandwidth. They aren't manufactured anymore, but can be found on ebay at a high cost. I had two of them and sold one on here. Buddy Emmons used one along with a Session 400 when he recorded the live double album at the Convention in 1977.

My first rack system was a PQ3 (it's also a preamp), Furman RV1 (spring reverb in a 1 space rack unit) and Peavey Power amp. In the early 80's, I was the scheduler for the metal finishing company that anodized the panels for Furman Sound. I would "prioritize" their jobs. They gifted me with the PQ3 and RV1. Yes, I can be bought 🤑. Wish I still had them.

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2022 4:17 am    

Thanks for all the advice and perspectives. Got to pick up some bolts today to attach the chassis and then I'll start experimenting.

Very likely though that I won't be investing in another EQ. This is a secondary amp, assembled from leftovers for playing around with stereo effects and visiting electric guitarists.

Chicago Valley Railroad. Trainspotting and Bargain Hunting...
https://chicagovalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/