The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Big Feet
Paul Strojan

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2019 3:02 pm    

I have just started to play pedal steel and I have found that my feet are too wide to work the pedals with the ball of my foot. Is there anything I could do aside from commissioning a new guitar with wider set pedals?

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2019 4:43 pm    

Your seating position has a lot of affect on this. It sounds like you are placing your foot at about a 90 degree angle to the pedal bar. Try shifting your seat to toward the right. Now, you left foot will address the pedals at an angle, the center of the ball of the foot over the A pedal and the inside edge of the foot over the B pedal. This position is more comfortable and requires less twisting of the ankle. You might find that shoes with a thin sole will help too.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2019 6:19 pm    

What Bill says. I have always played without a shoe on my left foot. Almost 40 years.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2019 7:14 am    

Paul,
That's one of the reasons why some steelers prefer the old Emmons p/p, the pedals are further apart. Very Happy
Erv

Paul Strojan

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2019 9:37 am    

Thanks for the advice. Shifting to the right has made the A and B pedals playable but the C6 pedals are still almost unplayable. I guess I am looking an excuse to commission a new guitar.

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2019 9:47 am    

Pedal spacing may/may not help. You are at the beginning of your journey. If possible have a "player" watch and make suggestions.

Of course, there's nothing wrong about a new build adding to the pedal steel economy. Smile

h

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2019 9:44 am    

What kind of steel is it? Maybe the pedals are too wide? Narrower pedals would have more space between them even if the centers were spaced the same.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2019 10:19 am    

Paul Strojan wrote:
I guess I am looking an excuse to commission a new guitar.

Oh! Well, why didn't you say so in the first place? YES! You definitely need a new, custom-made guitar that will be just perfect for you. Don't delay, order today! Wink

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2019 10:23 am     Re: Big Feet

Paul Strojan wrote:
I have just started to play pedal steel and I have found that my feet are too wide to work the pedals with the ball of my foot. Is there anything I could do aside from commissioning a new guitar with wider set pedals?

Paul I have the same issue...13EEE feet. My solution?

Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2019 10:25 am    

Thankful that Mullens and especially Mullens worked on by Mickey Adams are sock friendly and pedal action is butter smooth
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Paul Strojan

California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2019 8:11 am    

I unhooked the C pedal of my guitar and that opened up room for me to work the pedals comfortably. I think I am going to move the E to F# change to the LKV pedal.