The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Expanding Role of Steel Guitar
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2019 5:02 am    

Just stumbled upon this article from 2018...

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/04/the-curmudgeon-a-brief-history-of-american-musics.html

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2019 5:49 am    

Interesting read. Good to see the movement to spread the use of pedal steel to other music formats.

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2019 7:16 am    

Yes. Just because it isn’t always making the old sounds and sometimes you can’t readily pick out the steel guitar on some of these new Nashville records, it don’t mean that it’s dying.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2019 7:59 am    

Great lead to interesting-sounding albums, thanks, Jimbo!

Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2019 8:26 am    

K Maul wrote:
Yes. Just because it isn’t always making the old sounds and sometimes you can’t readily pick out the steel guitar on some of these new Nashville records, it don’t mean that it’s dying.

That's true. Putting the steel guitar low in the mix or having it play unobtrusively is not something I see celebrated here on the forum, but I think there are a number of producers who see its value in that role and know how to use it.

Even with my own playing, sometimes I'll play a video recording from a show to a friend where the band is full and loud. My parts are undeniably audible, but sometimes they can't pick them out because I'm supporting another instrument (or the vocalist) instead of taking the lead. But then I can play them a different clip of us where I'm sitting out on steel and they can clearly hear the difference. I think even with other (rock) musicians, they can't put their finger on the steel, but they know that when it's in the mix, the sound is elevated and taken to the next level.

Jonathan Mitguard

San Rafael, California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2019 8:05 am    

Love playing the steel unconventionally. It is a challenge for sure in rhythm mode because there is so much to go wrong in that there are lots of notes that you don't want to ring. Anyway I think the second POCO record "Poco" has what is still some of the most innovative steel playing. Always be surprised that Rusty didn't keep going down that road.

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2019 8:32 am    

Jonathan,I think you're right on the money. The idea of steel in a live band setting, but not just soloing or playing melodic all of the time. Rusty was great at bringing just what was needed to each song. Some B3 pads or stabs, sounding like a string section (Poco 7), some funky rhythmic stuff, or a simple hammer-on into a chord. Sometimes the economy of laying out really lets the next phrase or lick really shine.
MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.