The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Wayne Owen Gailey December 14,1938-August 14, 1978
Tom Alexander

Anchor Point, Alaska
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2019 10:24 pm    

Today is the 41st anniversary of the passing of one of the greatest pedal steel guitar players of all time. His music and performances were heard and enjoyed by many Country Music fans from southern California, to Alaska, to Nashville, to Las Vegas and Reno, and to Albuquerque. His many fans loved and admired his contributions to the “Bakersfield Sound” and Western Swing. He played with Paul Harper and the Westerners in National City, CA and Alaska, with Kenny Vernon and the Boondockers in Nevada, Colorado, and New Mexico, and was the favorite steel guitar player of the great Rose Maddox, appearing on several of her albums. He also had his own band, Swamp Root, that was a resident act at the Caravan East in Albuquerque. I have only known of my father-in-law since September of 2018, when my wife confirmed that she is his biological daughter. Over these past months, my wife and I have met his two sisters, cousins from Oklahoma, and his best friend, Nestor Eaton. We have also had the privilege of speaking with and getting to know his daughter in Albuquerque, Kenny Vernon, and many more cousins in Texas and Kansas. We have listened to him play on many recordings he had performed on, and have watched him on 8mm film at a family gathering on Christmas day, 1970. We have also seen him in many family photos, promotional photos, and fan photos. And the many stories we have been told of him are timeless! Kenny Vernon loves to tell stories of his dear friend and bandmate, and we never get tired of listening to them. Though we never got to meet Wayne in person, my wife and I have grown to love this man very much, and wish to honor, memorialize, and thank him on this anniversary of his death. He was an amazing musician and human being. Love you, Dad!

George Duncan Sypert

Colo Spgs, Co, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2019 2:24 pm     Wayne Gailey

Wonderful pictures of my good friend Wayne Gailey. My most favorite pedal steel player. This man could play anything he wanted to and anybody's style if he wanted and needed to. Closest one to Ralph Mooney that I ever heard live. He had knee levers on that 1000, at least 3 and maybe four. The knee levers had no stops. I used to sit down to this guitar once in a while at the Hogan in Colorado Springs. He sat in with the band I was in at the time on a Sunday night, played my Fender 400 tuned to D and played things that I never knew possible. No knees on that one.

The very first time I met Wayne was in San Antonio in Feb of 1962. He was standing up playing that guitar with Rose Maddox. Fast and clean as could be. We met again later in 1965 at the Hogan, Colorado Springs.

Words can never express the talent that Wayne Gailey had. You had to be there.

George

Tom Alexander

Anchor Point, Alaska
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2019 2:42 pm     Re: Wayne Gailey

George Duncan Sypert wrote:
Wonderful pictures of my good friend Wayne Gailey. My most favorite pedal steel player. This man could play anything he wanted to and anybody's style if he wanted and needed to. Closest one to Ralph Mooney that I ever heard live. He had knee levers on that 1000, at least 3 and maybe four. The knee levers had no stops. I used to sit down to this guitar once in a while at the Hogan in Colorado Springs. He sat in with the band I was in at the time on a Sunday night, played my Fender 400 tuned to D and played things that I never knew possible. No knees on that one.

The very first time I met Wayne was in San Antonio in Feb of 1962. He was standing up playing that guitar with Rose Maddox. Fast and clean as could be. We met again later in 1965 at the Hogan, Colorado Springs.

Words can never express the talent that Wayne Gailey had. You had to be there.

George

Thank you, George, for your kind words and stories. Through your stories, Patty feels like she was there with you watching Wayne play. Some day Patty and I would love to meet you. Kindest regards.

Tom

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2019 7:14 pm    

Thanks for this post. I loved Wayne's playing. Talked with him several times when he was with Kenny Vernon. A very down to earth guy. He could really do Moon. I recall he played one of Buck Trent's electric banjo tunes on the steel and ripped it.

Tom Alexander

Anchor Point, Alaska
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2019 8:57 pm    

Clyde Mattocks wrote:
Thanks for this post. I loved Wayne's playing. Talked with him several times when he was with Kenny Vernon. A very down to earth guy. He could really do Moon. I recall he played one of Buck Trent's electric banjo tunes on the steel and ripped it.

Thank you Clyde for sharing that. Patty and I just love hearing all of the stories about her dad. He was very talented!! One of our favorite stories told to us by Kenny Vernon was when Tom Brumley played in Okinawa as part of a USO tour, he allegedly told the awe struck crowd of Japanese steel guitar enthusiasts, "If you think I'm good, you should see Wayne Gailey play!"

Warm regards,
Tom Alexander

Tom Alexander

Anchor Point, Alaska
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2019 1:40 pm     Wayne Gailey photos

Wayne with Rose Maddox and Paul Harper

Wayne with Paul Harper

Wayne with Kenny Vernon and Nestor Eaton in the "Fender Room"

Unknown Wayne photo

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2019 5:25 pm    

I think thats the back of my head lower left in the Fender room photo. I was there every time they played as close as I could get.