The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  All The Chord Forms You'll Likely Need
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2019 7:52 am    

I ran across an item I got from Jeff Newman,,,a page showing about 12-13 G chords with extensions (moveable up and down the neck) using 3 pedals and 3 KL. G maj, G7, G9, G6, G13, Gm, Gm7, Gdim, Gaug, Gsus4, Gma7,etc,,,,,showing 4 or 5 locations for each. These with a few occasional slants thrown in just about covers everything. It's amazing what Jeff could do with minimal pedals and knees,,,makes you wonder why we keep adding changes. Anyone interested let me know,,or if there is enough interest I'll try to figure a way to post it.

Brian Hollands

Geneva, FL USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2019 8:19 am    

I'd like to see that

Andre Dardeau

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2019 8:31 am    

I’d like to see this, thank you.

Tom Wilson

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2019 8:43 am    

Put me on the list please.

Tom Wilson

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2019 8:48 am    

Put me on the list please.

Gabriel Edell

Hamilton, Ontario
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2019 8:53 am    

Me too!

Dennis Brion

Atwater, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2019 9:23 am    

Ditto

Ben Waligoske

Denver, CO
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2019 9:34 am    

Count me in.

Don Kuhn

Poetry/Terrell ,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2019 9:48 am    

Something New yes sir I'm In,,,, Thanks

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2019 9:50 am    

Would love to see it Sonny.

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 13 Aug 2019 10:16 am    

Not sure if this will work????,,,

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 13 Aug 2019 10:21 am    

I don't know how to rotate,,,or make it bigger???
Also,,not all the major grips will work on all forms,,,just have to figure out which strings in each group will be effective,,,still,,,a good place to start. Also some forms are stated as being one name, when it is actually some other name,,,but will work as named. Just thought it might be useful to someone.

Brian Hollands

Geneva, FL USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2019 10:27 am    

Here ya go, there's a rotate option in that box where you select the picture you want to upload. Easy to miss

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 13 Aug 2019 10:30 am    

Hey Thanks Brian!!! Can it be enlarged a little?

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2019 1:37 pm    

Thanks for posting, guys.

Wow, I'm surprised this came from Jeffran Music because there are several mistakes on it when it comes to the difference between 7th and 9th chords.

Basically, grips matter and make all the difference, and that's not reflected on the chart.

The chart lists:
1A for 7th
1X for a 9th

But BOTH of those positions can be a 7th if you don't include strings 3 or 6.

But if you DO include strings 3 or 6 as is so often the case, they both become a 9th chord.

So the difference between a 7th or 9th chord is not a matter of which pedal you hit, A or X, it's a matter of which grip you use with A and X. Once you select a grip, you get the same chord with either pedal. You can toggle between A or X and it's two ways to play the same chord. Try that toggling thing... it's a nice lick you hear a lot in classic country.

The reason both pedal positions give the same chord in a given grip is that we're only playing partial chords here rather than the full 4-note or 5-note versions (a 7th chord has 4 notes, and a 9th chord has the same ones plus 1 more added on top).The two pedal inversions on the chart are just selecting a different subset of the 4 (or 5) possible notes that make up the chord.

So 1A or 1X, it's still a G7, if that's the grip you're using because it leaves out the strings that would add in the 9th tone (leaves out strings 3 and 6). Change to the grip that does include the 9th tone and both pedal positions are a G9. Or more accurately, they're both a partial G9.

Along the same lines of 'grip matters', the chart lists 6D for a 7th chord. This is only true if we don't hit strings 4 and 8. But if we do hit those strings, we've expanded it to become a 9th.

I imagine the lax rules here are because 7th chords can frequently be used in place of 9ths and vice versa. A lot of people throw them both into one mental bucket of interchangeable parts and roll.

Last edited by Tucker Jackson on 13 Aug 2019 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 13 Aug 2019 2:09 pm    

Hey Tucker,,thanks for the expertise,,,actually I did qualify regarding grips,,and chords that "may" not be that specific name,,,but serve that purpose,,,but I'm sure Jeff would have appreciated your input,,(and then he would have done his input,,,as only Jeff could do,,,LOL)

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2019 2:17 pm    

I think that for most purposes, a person could learn all the 7th and 9th positions and just use 'any of the above' whenever either is called for. We're talking practical useage rather than 'technically correct.' Most of us play by those loose rules... but the teacher in me sees red flags when something that's a learning tool for the less initiated is posted that has some small errors.

On the other hand, to write the chord chart more accurately would make it harder to learn and read, and there is something to be said for simplicity if it gets you in the ballpark. Basically, this chart is really helpful.

Last edited by Tucker Jackson on 13 Aug 2019 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Don Walworth

Gilmer, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2019 2:19 pm     Enlarge it..

Copy and paste to a Word Processor program... fills up the page -- print it out --- and it is easy to read.

Worked for me.

Thanks for the info.
don

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2019 3:15 pm    

Hey Sonny, I'm finding it hard to read the fine print - probably due to the restrictions on image size for the forum. If you email me the image you took (the one on the camera or computer, I can host it on my G-drive (like Trap's chord charts) so anyone can download a full resolution copy.

Doug

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2019 5:51 pm    

Can somebody please explain the Gsus4 using 8B (the next to last line in the chart)?

You can get a Gsus4 in the 8th fret if you hit the right strings... but if you hit the strings attached to the B-pedal as suggested, you've thrown in the flatted-7th tone which is not good. Maybe it's a typo and should read 15B? Or maybe I'm just missing something obvious?

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2019 6:41 pm    

Tucker Jackson wrote:
Can somebody please explain the Gsus4 using 8B (the next to last line in the chart)?

You can get a Gsus4 in the 8th fret if you hit the right strings... but if you hit the strings attached to the B-pedal as suggested, you've thrown in the flatted-7th tone which is not good. Maybe it's a typo and should read 15B? Or maybe I'm just missing something obvious?

I agree with you on this. Except that if you add the flat 7 to the equation the chord should be named G11, which isn't an unusable chord.

For anyone who's confused about why you'd name it that.. Calling a chord a 9,11, or 13 implies that it has a dominant (b7) quality (but doesn't necessarily have to be played). If you want a G11 without the b7 you'd say Gadd11. Similar to a Gsus4, but a sus4 chord doesn't have a third.

G - g,b,d, (1,3,5)

Gsus4 - g,c,d (1,4,5)

Gadd11 - g,b,d,c (1,3,5,11)

G11 - g,b,d,f,c (1,3,5,b7,11)

It says page 38 at the bottom so I'd have to imagine there's missing info here on the grips.

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2019 7:01 pm    

Another iffy one is where it says G7_______6D

You could say that's a G9 sans root, but I'd call it a Dmin.

ii,V,I (Dmin,G7,C)

Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2019 5:18 am    

I know absolutely nothing about music theory but I know that Jeff liked to use the bass or something else in the band to mix with what he was playing to make it sound right. I remember him saying he played a band one night & the guitar player complimented him on his minor chords. Jeff said he wasn’t playing any minor chords. Maybe that would explain how those examples would work???

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 14 Aug 2019 6:51 am    

Let me say first,,I posted this because several people asked me to. If you can use it, use it,,,if not, just ignore it and move on, find something else to vex yourself over. Second, this was copied from the last page (page 3Cool of an instruction book,,,forgot which one. Third and most important,,,I wish ole Jeff was here to answer these question,,,only Jeff had that special way of answering a question that could make you feel like a fool for not considering this or that little "insignificant" fact. Man I miss ole Jeff!!!

Doug Taylor

Shelbyville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2019 7:37 am    

Thank you for posting this Sonny, I am one month into my steel journey and I find it most helpful,