The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Why the Big E is seen playing so many brands of steels?
Gordon Borland

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2020 8:15 pm    

Why is Buddy E. seen playing so many different brands of steel guitars?
I wonder if he played other instruments like piano, six strings, or horns?
I miss him. Why did he leave such a big hole in some of our hearts?

Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2020 4:19 am    

What better way to sell your Guitars than to get "The Best of The Best" to Play it?
And yes Buddy did Play Bass for sure he Played the road with Rodger Miller for several years.

Barry

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2020 5:53 am    

Buddy had a falling out with the Emmons company and refused to play one for years.

I believe he endorsed MCI and Sierra guitars at one point but eventually he wanted the freedom to play any guitar he felt like and insisted on paying for them himself. it was good to see him go back to Emmons but he also played Zum, JCH, and Sierra in the last decade or so of his life

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2020 5:56 am    

He was also a killer vibes player. You hear him on some of his albums.

He could probably play a paper sack if need be.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2020 6:10 am    

Since we know the George L's E66 was patterned after the sound of the 66 Emmons guitar, did Buddy Emmons endorse it and/or use this pickup on guitars besides the Derby? Maybe MCI? What others? Emmons LeGrande? Certainly not on the Blade or other PP guitars.

Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2020 11:17 pm    

Buddy did play some piano. I don't recall him recording any vibes. Buddy played some fun stuff on the Christmas Sounds album, including the xylophone... but he played it on steel with a guitar synthesizer.

www.BuddyEmmons.com

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2020 8:13 am    

Buddy was a proficient guitarist as well.
he plays guitar on This Ain't The Blues as recorded by the Texas Troubadours. Bobby Garrett was on steel, I believe Speedy West wrote the song
https://youtu.be/xs53hzRq1KY

Jeff Peterson

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2020 11:59 am    

Ron Lashley Sr. told me, 'Buddy'll go anywhere the grass seems greener, and he just loves to try out new sh*t no matter where it comes from.' Never asked Buddy myself, but I kinda' felt the same way myself...except when it came to guitars. When I tried the Lashley III with Ron in Nashville, that was it for me, and still is. But amps, effects, etc., I tried 'em all...my favorite still is the Demeter TGP3, with Yamaha and Eventide delay, chorus and any number of great tube power amps...also, the Demeter compressor in front is the best for me.

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2020 12:35 pm    

I ran into Buddy around fall of '81 while I was doing a gig in Nashville. He was playing in the bar at the Opryland Hotel, and he was playing a red Dekley. (At least I remember it as a Dekley, although it might have been a Sierra.)
I asked him why he was playing that guitar, and his answer was, "Because I'm pissed off at Ron Lashley."

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it..

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2020 12:49 pm    

Skip Edwards wrote:
I ran into Buddy around fall of '81 while I was doing a gig in Nashville. He was playing in the bar at the Opryland Hotel, and he was playing a red Dekley. (At least I remember it as a Dekley, although it might have been a Sierra.)
I asked him why he was playing that guitar, and his answer was, "Because I'm pissed off at Ron Lashley."

Skip,he was taping"Nashville Alive"in the bar at the hotel...I was watching it at Mama's house in OKC...

Red Dekley was a single 12...he was playing the bebop stuff on it,no problem...an alien if ever there was one.

He was something else.

SH

Last edited by Steve Hinson on 6 Sep 2020 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total

Brett Crisp

NC
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2020 1:26 pm    

I heard this from a VERY reliable source, and I won’t mention their name on here just in case...but, lashley and emmons had an agreement that Buddy would get 100 bucks per guitar that Ron built and sold. Buddy later found out that Ron sold the guitars without giving him his cut. That’s why he quit playing emmons for a while, and possibly why he took the badge off of the blade.

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2020 1:31 pm    

DELETED

Last edited by Steve Hinson on 6 Sep 2020 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2020 2:07 pm    

Skip Edwards wrote:

You have to take the online inflation calculator with a grain of salt, it's not always apples-to-apples, but the dollar value comparison gets you in the ballpark. I remember 1981 pretty well - the year I got married, and my wife and I had both just gotten out of college and were pretty broke.

$100 in '81 translates to approximately $285 in 2020.

I wonder how many guitars per year Ron Lashley was selling back then?

RMckee

Broken Arrow, OK
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2020 2:11 pm    

Kinda way off topic and actually hijacking the thread, however....unabashedly, I trudge on... Buddy is my favorite and there isn't a real close second. In fact, I usually list him as my favorite musician and then rank my favorite steel pickers under that. He was always nice and responded to a plethora of posts providing great info. I only attended St Louis in 1984 and 1985. One of those years I heard some great guitar picking coming from the grand hall. I cracked the door open a bit and it was Buddy on a Les Paul, or something similar, He was sporting a gray derby. I was at the back door and he was on stage but it appeared to be a Les Paul. Whatever it was, Pat Martino would have stood and listened as well! Then in 1985, I think, Jeff Newman came up with his "Cream of the Crap" session. Jeff and Hal Rugg on "beginner" model pedal steels, Buddy on a 6 string lap steel and Paul Franklin on a resophonic guitar. I would say Dobro but might offend someone. They were all cooking on a song or two with Buddy really smoking on a blues number. Then they started playing "Great Speckled Bird", "Wild Side Of Life", whatever you know it by. Jeff played, Hal played, Buddy played, all superbly, then Paul took off on the dobro. He smoked that thing. When his turn concluded everyone was yelling for him to take another ride. Great music.

Anyway... thanks for the memories and sorry to go down a rabbit trail.

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2020 2:27 pm    

Steve... so it was a Dekley!
Nice to know my memory still works every now & then.
Yep, I was there doing the Nashville Alive show with the Burritos... right around the time we did that gig in West Memphis, AR when you were playing with John Conlee.

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2020 2:31 pm    

Skip,I remember now that y'all were on the show and sounded great!

Hope you are well,my friend!

SH

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2020 5:56 pm     Re: Why the Big E is seen playing so many brands of steels?

Gordon Borland wrote:

Whenever I see or hear a steelplayer, the absolute last thing I'm paying attention to is what brand of guitar he's using. Similarly, when I look at a painting by Michelangelo, the absolute last thing I'm thinking about is what kind of brush he used. Mr. Green

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2020 6:48 pm     Re: Why the Big E is seen playing so many brands of steels?

Donny Hinson wrote:
Gordon Borland wrote:

Whenever I see or hear a steelplayer, the absolute last thing I'm paying attention to is what brand of guitar he's using. Similarly, when I look at a painting by Michelangelo, the absolute last thing I'm thinking about is what kind of brush he used. Mr. Green

You’re more pure of heart than I am. I check out the guitar of every musician I’ve ever seen, live or otherwise. There’s no way I can resist.

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2020 7:46 pm    

RMckee wrote:
Kinda way off topic and actually hijacking the thread, however....unabashedly, I trudge on... Buddy is my favorite and there isn't a real close second. In fact, I usually list him as my favorite musician and then rank my favorite steel pickers under that. He was always nice and responded to a plethora of posts providing great info. I only attended St Louis in 1984 and 1985. One of those years I heard some great guitar picking coming from the grand hall. I cracked the door open a bit and it was Buddy on a Les Paul, or something similar, He was sporting a gray derby. I was at the back door and he was on stage but it appeared to be a Les Paul. Whatever it was, Pat Martino would have stood and listened as well! Then in 1985, I think, Jeff Newman came up with his "Cream of the Crap" session. Jeff and Hal Rugg on "beginner" model pedal steels, Buddy on a 6 string lap steel and Paul Franklin on a resophonic guitar. I would say Dobro but might offend someone. They were all cooking on a song or two with Buddy really smoking on a blues number. Then they started playing "Great Speckled Bird", "Wild Side Of Life", whatever you know it by. Jeff played, Hal played, Buddy played, all superbly, then Paul took off on the dobro. He smoked that thing. When his turn concluded everyone was yelling for him to take another ride. Great music.

Anyway... thanks for the memories and sorry to go down a rabbit trail.

I remember that set when Paul took them all to school using the dobro.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2020 12:34 am     Re: Why the Big E is seen playing so many brands of steels?

Brooks Montgomery wrote:
I check out the guitar of every musician I’ve ever seen, live or otherwise. There’s no way I can resist.

Me too.

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2020 8:22 pm    

Buddy did a stint with E.T. playing lead guitar and he was pretty good. I believe it was during the time Bobby Garrett was on steel.

Jack Strayhorn

Winston-Salem, NC
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2020 8:45 am    

Since some of your guys want to go there, here it is. The agreement with the company was 5% of anything with the Emmons name on it. Ron was just sending random checks on a regular basis which included some sales beyond the agreement. Buddy was actually paid ahead so a month came up that cash was tight Ron didn't send a check. Buddy didn't understand. It went to court, Buddy lost. It was proven that Buddy had been overpaid. Ron dropped his countersuit, the end. Let it rest folks!

Jack Strayhorn

Winston-Salem, NC
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2020 8:48 am    

The Dekley episode was mentioned. Bubby played the guitar on a TV taping, breaching contract. That was the END! Further, Ron was not the bad guy. He walked away from the suit actually owed money. Many years later when we reissued the Black album on CD, Ron, on his own and in good faith, sent Buddy a check. He didn't have to do it, Ron owned the master. When Buddy called in the late 90's inquiring about a couple of new guitars Ron again was the good guy. Buddy's words, "it's time to return to the source"! It's true, I was there and phone on speaker! At the time Buddy wanted no ties, to anyone. He was tired of the builders seeking him to play. His words, 'maybe now they will leave me alone". He paid for the guitars using credit for some CD's we had made and sent a check for the balance. All of this isn't anyones business but since folks want to talk, I'll put the truth out there.

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2020 9:14 am     Ok...

Jack Strayhorn wrote:
The Dekley episode was mentioned. Bubby played the guitar on a TV taping, breaching contract. That was the END! Further, Ron was not the bad guy. He walked away from the suit actually owed money. Many years later when we reissued the Black album on CD, Ron, on his own and in good faith, sent Buddy a check. He didn't have to do it, Ron owned the master. When Buddy called in the late 90's inquiring about a couple of new guitars Ron again was the good guy. Buddy's words, "it's time to return to the source"! It's true, I was there and phone on speaker! At the time Buddy wanted no ties, to anyone. He was tired of the builders seeking him to play. His words, 'maybe now they will leave me alone". He paid for the guitars using credit for some CD's we had made and sent a check for the balance. All of this isn't anyones business but since folks want to talk, I'll put the truth out there.

...and there you have it...

I will now delete my comments...

SH

Dustin Rhodes

Owasso OK
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2020 11:51 am    

Wasn't he involved in EMCI steels?