The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  North Florida Steel Guitar Association?
Johnny Baker

Southport, Fla
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2019 6:35 pm    

Anybody know anything about this? Is it still active or no longer around? Thanks so much

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2019 6:07 am    

I've just moved to NW Fl and met many steelers here. No mention of any association.

Jack Stoner would probably be the best person to ask.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Johnny Baker

Southport, Fla
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2019 1:34 pm    

I live within the Hurricane Michael Cone of Destruction, Southport, Fl. Is that close to you? I saw the name of the convention on a You Tube video featuring Joe Wright and that prompted me to ask.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2019 3:20 pm    

It's about 150 miles. I am in the far NW corner of the panhandle, NW of Pensacola.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Lonnie Portwood

Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2019 5:19 pm     N. Fl. Steel Guitar Assoc.

Johnny, Bill Lawson and Myself started the assoc. in 2007 here in Jacksonville, Fl. and had to disband in Jan 2014 for lack of support. We had some great musical experiences over 7 years, and some of the best of the best musicians graced our stage! One of those players was Bill Ferguson! Bill, I can't believe you forgot where and who we were down here in N.E. Fl! By the way, welcome to Florida, currently lending credence to the claim of "global warming" (which I don't believe this doomsday talk)

Johnny, You can email me thru the Forum if you have any questions about the NFSGA. Thanks, Lonnie Portwood

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2019 4:35 am    

Thanks Lonnie,

I did not forget. I did not know that was the name of the Jacksonville show.

Wish it were still going on.

Johnny Baker

Southport, Fla
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2019 5:14 pm    

Southport is located about 10 miles North of Panama City, on Hwy 77. I actually know the area, where you live pretty well also, having lived a spell in Ferry Pass and attending school there. I was hoping against hope that it was still in existence and it was close enough to participate in, when I have time. LOL. It's very hard, in my area to even find anyone who will admit that they have and/or play a steel guitar. Mine is currently sitting in a closet, in it's case and hasn't been touched in about 3 or so years. Thanks for the info guys and I'll be in touch.