The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Speaker impulse response (IR) for steel?
Alex Cattaneo

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2019 6:07 pm    

Has anyone looked into this? With more and more people using Kemper, Fractal Axe-Fx, Atomic Amplifire and such, I'm wondering if there are any IR's of classic steel guitar speakers out there.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2019 8:02 pm    

Since steel is such a "fringe" instrument I would venture to say that we are left out of the loop.

But I often wonder if steel would fall under the menu of bass amps?

Tom Dillon

La Mesa, California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2019 9:22 am    

I've dug into this. As you've probably seen, there are 1000's of Impulse Response files out there made for guitar and bass players. Except for a JBL D130f IR I found, and use, there are no other IRs I'm aware of that are specifically made from the common steel guitar speakers we use. I suppose there will be some day. The D130 IR is taken from a 2-15" Fender Showman cabinet. It sounds ok and I use it with an HX Stomp (Twin Reverb clean channel) for rehearsals. I'm not liking it enough to use it for gigs yet. I got it here:
https://www.redwirez.com/bigbox.jsp

I've been comparing the IR to the Stereo Steel D130 cabinets I have. Using the same HX Stomp amp model, the IRs coming through a QSC K10.2 monitor don't sound quite as good as the real JBL speakers. I'm continuing to tweek it.

That said, I do use a Neunaber Iconoclast cab sim pedal for gigs and like it a lot. I send its output to the PA. It doesn't use IR files. It lets you define your own speaker response waveform or load a free premade one from Neunaber. They have a D130 profile available and I use that. Again, it doesn't sound quite like the real JBL speakers yet but I think it has more potential to dial in a sound using the PC/Mac software that comes with it.

Alex Cattaneo

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2019 9:56 am    

Thanks for the link Tom. I found two Fender Twin libraries, one with the Jensen C12 and the other with the JBL D120F, as well as the Dual Showman library you mentioned. At 9$ per library, it's certainly worth a try!

I'm trying out an Atomic Amplifire 6 for gigs using in-ear monitoring. Right now just using the stock Twin Reverb amp sim with matching cab. I might try some of the stock bass speakers as Godfrey suggested.

Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2022 2:49 am    

Guys I just bought a headrush gigboard so I was researching IR files tonight and ran across Eminence digital which sells IRs of several PSG speakers including the PF-350, PF-400, TT12, TT15, Wheelhouse and a few others.

This thread popped up on my search as well and these were not mentioned so I figured I’d share this info. You probably already know about them but maybe the next guy like me who purchases a modeling rig that doesn’t know anything will find this thread and be thankful. Here’s the website.

https://eminence-digital.com/collections/steel-guitar-impulse-responses/impulse-response

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2022 12:28 am    

I bought 3 IRs from Eminence: The PF350, the TT12, and the Wheelhouse 150. I've now played three gigs going totally direct, no speaker on stage, and for me the TT12 is the first choice, with the Wheelhouse 150 a close second. If I worked more with the PF350 I could probably get it sounding excellent as well. I never thought I would say this, but I like playing direct into the PA.

I'm running my steel through a 1968 Dual Showman head, and then to a Two Notes CABM and Captor, so I'm getting the full benefit of the preamp and power tubes of the Fender. That sounds much better to me than the amp sims in the CABM. So the only simulation I'm using is the speaker sim loaded into the CABM. It sounds excellent.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2022 5:31 am    

I am running the Eminence PF350 with my Fractal Ax3 rig and it sounds great. Fractal also offers a bunch of JBL and Altec speakers but none sounded as good as the PF350 to my ears. The PF350 comes with with 7 different mic models and placement locations so there is more than one sound supplied with that IR.

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/AXE%20FX%203/AXE%20FX%203.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2022 6:47 am    

Greg, great and thorough review with some fine tone examples. I was seriously impressed with the tone of the Tweed Deluxe examples. It appears that you spent considerable time on your accomplishments. Thanks for sharing with us.

Paul Hoecherl

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2022 8:07 am    

I have been using the Eminence PF-400 57 Royer IR for the past several months of shows & recording with an Axe-FX III.

The improvement in FOH signal has been noticeable over the 1x15 IRs I was previously using (Buttery 57 or Vibrato Verb 421 for Axe-FX owners)

Playing stand-alone, I did not note the difference as much, but the warmth and clarity is as good as just playing with my Steelaire. Positive feedback from the console (and other players) agree. YMMV of course!