The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tuning Question
Wayne Quinn

Cape Breton.NovaScotia
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2019 5:09 am    

Can some one explain why this happens. I have a Carter D10 played it of and on the last month or so tuning is always good . To day I sit to play. open strings are in tune but when I raise A pedal B to C sharp my high B is way sharp why would this happen you would think if anything it would be flat. I hardely ever have to twek my nylon tuners. just makes me wonder why after playing it for a month with the A pedal pulling to proper pitch then all of a sudden its 25 cents sharp. love to hear from some of you that may have more know how on this subject than myself there is got to be a answer for why this happens looking forward to any ones thoughts on it.

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2019 9:29 am    

That's a weird one. Here's my best theory:

Prior to today, the 5th string finger was a little sticky from gunk and disuse. When the raise was activated, instead of just pivoting on it's rivet, the lower finger was slightly activating too. The return spring wasn't quite strong enough to hold that lower finger down against the stop. This makes it harder for the string to get up to pitch when the pedal is pushed.

Since this was happening secretly behind the scenes, the reaction of the player is to crank that nylon tuner down tighter to compensate and get the pitch fully up to C#. That worked for a while.

But then something changed. You've been playing it a bit lately and have sort of 'unstuck' that finger from its gunk. Now, when you hit the A-pedal, the lower finger stays put against its stop as it should. Suddenly, the raise finger pulls a bit further than it did before since the lower isn't also activating and fighting against it. Result: your pitch is sharp with that pedal down.

So... now that the finger is un-stuck and behaving as it should, try retuning the nylon nut and you should be good to go.

And to keep it from happening again, lubricate the rivet down in the guts of the changer with Tri-Flow or some other high tech non-gunking Teflon-based lubricant (sewing machine or gun oil). The best way to get access is to remove the return spring and use a long spout or peice of wire like a coat hanger (run the lube down it to get it down in that tight space and hit your mark). You just need one drop on there. Hopefully, that will work and you won't have to take the changer apart and do a thorough de-gunking.

Of course, this is all just speculation. You might have had a string-ball from a broken string lodged in the changer and it just fell out today (check the floor). Or something.

Wayne Quinn

Cape Breton.NovaScotia
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2019 3:58 am     Thanks

That's a good explanation Tucker I can see how that could happen. and other than what you say I can not see how a string could go that much sharp I had to back the nylon tuner nut back one full turn but I will try flushing out all the fingers and re lube them any way its working ok right now so I will go and will see what happens and thanks for your thoughts on this matter.