The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dead spots on E9th neck
JB Arnold

Longmont,Co,USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2019 5:39 pm    

So I've got a couple of Dead spots on my B string, right past the fret markers 1 and 3. when I press the pedal or detune the string they move.

And i found one on my C6th neck the other night as well. It's a fulawka, have never had an issue with it before.

you slide up to it, note rings, hit the spot and the note vanishes, reappears when you slide past it. It's not right on the fret, but close enough that vibrato can hit it.

anyone got any ideas? the ball end of the string string appears to be seated in the changer correctly, although the E string next to it is not quite all the way in.

"All in all, looking back, I'd have to say the best advice anyone ever gave me was 'Hands Up, Don't Move!"

"Your FIRST mistake was listening to your wife instead of your steel instructor." (H.Steiner)

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2019 6:36 pm    

Does this happen both amplified and unamplified?

Have you tried a new string?

It's interesting that the dead spots move when you change the pitch of the open string.

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2019 6:46 pm    

Amazing , I had the exact problem a few weeks ago. Mine was 6th string , pedal down or up , on the eighth fret. I couldnt see anything under the string at the roller or the changer end. But it did it all night.

Move forward or backward just a bit and the problem was gone. the next day everything was fine. I went ahead and changed strings anyway. This only happened at one gig and has never happened before.

JB Arnold

Post  Posted 9 Aug 2019 7:12 pm    

yeah, the fact that the spots move is confounding. im going to try a new couple of strings right there and see if that does it, if so ill changed the whole set.

i just wanted to see if this same thing had afflicted anyone else, because its a weird issue.

"All in all, looking back, I'd have to say the best advice anyone ever gave me was 'Hands Up, Don't Move!"

"Your FIRST mistake was listening to your wife instead of your steel instructor." (H.Steiner)

JB Arnold

Post  Posted 9 Aug 2019 7:15 pm    

it also does NOT appear to happen at the octaves.

Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2019 1:00 am    

It is probably phase cancellation between the resonant frequency of the guitar and the fretted note. Common on all stringed instruments. Especially noticeable on acoustic guitars.

JB Arnold

Post  Posted 10 Aug 2019 12:17 pm    

hard to tell if its happening unamplified, and its in several places on both necks.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2019 3:19 am    

Olli Haavisto wrote:
It is probably phase cancellation between the resonant frequency of the guitar and the fretted note. Common on all stringed instruments. Especially noticeable on acoustic guitars.

Thats what it sounds like to me as well.. Only thing is, he stated he never had the issue before.. I would try a new string, and check the changer finger very closely where its against the string.. i have seen some weird things happen there that a bit of fine sandpaper cleared right up... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Bengt Erlandsen

Brekstad, NORWAY
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2019 11:44 pm    

Make sure absolutly all other strings are muted in order to isolate the problem. The "problem" string should only be allowed to vibrate between the bar and the changer. Can it be duplicated on another string at same pitch ?
Is your pickup very close to the strings so that there can be unintended magnetic pull on the string?
Try also different cable, different amp in order to eliminate any part that may cause the problem.
And also try a new string. Good luck with finding and fixing the problem. Nothing that feels worse than playing on an instrument that fights against you or misbehaves in weird ways.

B.Erlandsen
Zumsteel S12extE9 7+7

Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2019 11:46 pm    

My experince with dead spots on acoustic guitars is that you can go for years not noticing them, but once you do they`re ALWAYS there.😀
JB, if the same pitch on a different string is dead, I`d say it`s phase cancellation, if not, it`s something else....

Last edited by Olli Haavisto on 12 Aug 2019 5:36 am; edited 1 time in total

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2019 12:17 am    

John,Has Paul Carestia checked out your guitar?He seems very knowledgeable and could probably figure it out.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.