The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel Guitar Jam in Bakersfield Ca?
Billy McCombs

Bakersfield California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2019 7:34 am    

How many Steelers would show up at a Jam in Bakersfield Ca? Since we have no activity for players in this area. I'm thinking of Hodels Buffet its right off of 99 Hwy. Got a nice size Hall that can be used if enough Meals are sold. Might be able to get Larry Petree to show. Who knows maybe even Norm Hamlett or JD? I have no experience of putting on a jam like this so any help or ideas would be great. Im just kicking this around to see what kind of response or ideas I might get. Jim Barron if you see this will you give me a PM. Just got of off the phone with the people at Hodels. There's plenty of parking and the Buffet is pretty good. More later. Thanks
78 Emmons PP,Great tone.82 Emmons SKH #56

Last edited by Billy McCombs on 7 Aug 2019 10:06 am; edited 3 times in total

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2019 7:45 am    

I'm over on the Central Coast, but would come.
MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.

Tom Dillon

La Mesa, California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2019 8:30 am    

Depending on my band's schedule, I'd make the trip up from San Diego.

Billy McCombs

Post  Posted 8 Aug 2019 8:40 am    

TTT

Ronald Heinzel

Hollister, California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2019 12:41 pm    

Depending on the date, I'd go

Aaron Johnson

Lemoore, CA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2019 3:18 pm    

I can't play crap but I would be there to listen!

Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2019 9:57 pm    

What Aaron said.

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2019 8:24 am    

Let's do it. Billy, can you scrape together a small PA & some backing tracks? What else would be needed? It would be blast to just get together, eat a meal, get to know some folks, and trade licks, ideas, etc. I imagine you're talking about a Saturday.
MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.

Billy McCombs

Post  Posted 9 Aug 2019 11:15 am    

Im working on it Mike. We would have to sell 25 Buffet meals at $23.00 each in order to get the Hall for free. that includes Drinks and Taxes. That's for 5 hours of use for the hall, which I don't think would be long enough. More like 8 hours. Still waiting for some guys to step forward that will know more about doing this than I. Im think this Fall. And yes it would be on a Saturday.

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2019 3:02 pm    

I'd like to see it closer to 8hrs than 5hrs. What if we each kicked in another 10 to 20 bucks so it wouldn't take so many attendees? If I go to an event I really like, I expect to pay for my meals as well as an entrance ticket or fee.... Just an idea.

Billy McCombs

Post  Posted 12 Aug 2019 3:54 pm    

TTT

Billy McCombs

Post  Posted 14 Aug 2019 4:03 pm    

Not getting much interest. I will leave it up for another week.

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2019 5:21 pm    

Hey folks.... how about those in the Central Valley?
This would be a great opportunity for some steel guitar fellowship and fun. Aaron said he can’t play crap and he’s coming. I CAN play crap but I’m coming anyway. Let’s make this happen !

Billy, I have a 6’, a 4’ and a 2’ folding tables if needed. I can also provide a small PA if necessary....

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2019 7:52 am    

Anybody else?

Billy McCombs

Post  Posted 21 Aug 2019 12:33 pm    

Mike the Hall has pretty much every thing in the way of Tables and chairs. We just have to have the people. I will give it a few more days. Maybe try again down the road.

Luke Sullivan

El Paso de Robles, CA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2019 1:26 pm     Over on 99

Steel social sounds like a great idea. I'll show up if I can. I have some pre-recorded tracks (Bobbe, Headrick). Be good to see other steelin' fans. Two and a quarter hours drive for me, Bakersfield.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2019 6:03 am    

I'm moving to Montana in mid September, so probably won't be here. Otherwise, I would go.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2019 7:50 am    

You should pm Larry Petree, a great steeler who is a Bakersfield icon. I bet he would attend if he could. Also knows a lot of other musicians in the area and might be able to help put together a live band, if you wanted to go that route.

James Flaherty

California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2019 5:25 pm    

I'm Thinking about it but nothing is certain yet. I go through Bakersfield whenever I go to visit my sister in Oxnard.

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2019 8:23 am    

I’d be interested. I’m about the same distance as The Vista jam.
John

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2019 10:48 am    

Billy, does 25 people sound like too big of a reach? Is there a way we can make it work with more like 15 people..... kick in a few bucks more..... or a different venue? There's clearly some interest here... it would be a shame to just fold up. Anybody else have some ideas?

Billy McCombs

Post  Posted 23 Aug 2019 1:51 pm    

Mike the Venue is perfect. Good size Hall, Easy to find, Plenty of parking,and the food is great. I believe there's even a stage. We also need Pickers, anyone that shows needs to let us know if they will be part of the Jam. I talked to Big Jim Baron I think he's interested in helping out. We will keep this open and see how it plays out. I guess we don't have to get in a hurry to do this. It may not happen until next spring. LOL. Thanks Guys for showing interest. Another thing I think we will stick with Backing Tracks. A live Band would just complicate things. 15 people with wife's or Girl friends would more than cover the 25 Meals for the hall. Plus I'm pretty sure were gona want the Hall for maybe 8 Hours. Keep on Picking.

Billy McCombs

Post  Posted 23 Aug 2019 2:08 pm    

Mike I have a PA, also Backing Tracks and Jim Barons BIB CD with plenty of BIB tracks. I'm thinking we would have jammers that are going to play, submit intermediate songs that they like and we would come up with a list before the jam so that the pickers would have a idea of the songs and could work on them if need be. I have been warned about letting to many people be involved in the song list. Lol, if you know what I mean. These are just ideas of mine, let me know what you guys think. If we get lucky enough to get a advanced or well named player Im for him having a 45 min. set to blow us away. How cool would that be? Anyway, Im getting way ahead of myself just thinking of this JAM.

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2019 2:01 pm    

This sounds good Billy. We’ll do it when we can.

Larry Hopkins

Lubbock Texas USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2019 3:49 pm     Bakersfield Jam

I might try to make it out there for that as a spectator of course
Larry👍