The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need help with chords
Tim Kowalski

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2019 10:51 am    

Over the weekend, I downloaded a compilation of Hits of the 70s - Not by the original artists. I enjoy hearing familiar songs sometimes with different arrangements, etc.
One of the songs was On and On (Originally recorded by Stephen Bishop) This version was just vocal and an acoustic guitar. Although the original song is basically a 2 minor - 5 - 1 progression, the guitar player subbed some beautiful chords for the vanilla ones. I am having a heck of a time finding the voicings and lack the theory to understand what they are doing.
Should I get a giant chord dictionary and try every variant of Bm (for example)? If I post a link to the song, can someone help me identify the chord names? They are not your typical Major/Minor/7th/Maj7th/sus chords. I am stumped.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2019 2:53 pm    

Definitely post a link. There are a lot of ways to get from I-ii, ii-V, and V-I, especially with simple melody. The chord names are good to know, but the voicings (how the chord tones are “stacked”) are just as important.

Tim Kowalski

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2019 8:40 pm     Link added

You are absolutely correct, Fred. I messed around with the tune after work and have figured some of it out. I think that the song is played in A with a capo on the 2nd fret.
I wish that one of my guitars sounded like this.
I also think they’re using a second guitar on the bridge and chorus.
Here’s the link. Better than the original radio hit!

https://app.box.com/s/r2cgf6brd5qhumqzp68xzzux7ubjfxtk

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2019 8:46 am    

In the verse, the I/add9-vi/11 change establishes the Caribbean groove. Then a quick ii7-V11 turnaround. I’m hearing a VIsus-VI7-ii7 change leading into the chorus. IV-iii7-ii7-V11-I on the bridge, with a vi7-II7-V11 turnaround back into the verse.

Voicings? Sounds like key of Bb. Capo fret one. Play key of A open position chords. That’s one way. We also might be hearing chords played with multiple capos. Slap the full capo on fret one, and the partial capo on fret 3 across strings 4-3-2 for an open A chord (in Bb position). That would make playing the I/add9-vi/11 groove interesting, if not challenging. I would have to work out chord fingerings with that setup. I would work on the single capo idea first.

Tim Kowalski

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2019 10:01 am    

Yes - Bb Sorry.
Fred,
Thank you so much for taking the time to listen and comment. I knew that someone with a keen ear would recognize the chords.

I can't wait to try your suggestions.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2019 10:02 am    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljuJnUYozUg
The original is in the key of B. As Fred rightly said the version here is a half step lower in B-flat. I think either way the capo is put on either fret 3 or four so the tune can be played in G.
The version that Tim posted is more embellished, but why should the singer stray away so far from his original, other than a small key change done with the capo?
When he sings The first time is the last time the C-major7 chord fits right in.

Tim Kowalski

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2019 11:48 am    

Hi Joachim
As much as it sounds like Stephen Bishop, it is just a very good cover of the song by an unknown singer.
The fact that it isn’t note for note is what I find appealing.

I have been working on it without a capo and it definitely works best in A.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2019 12:33 pm    

The reason I didn’t suggest Capo III and key of G chords, is because I hear a low root on the V11 chord (F11) played on the open 6th string. That contributes greatly to the fatness of those ii7-V11 changes. So unless you drop D tune the 6th string, there is no way to play a low root on the V chord with key of G fingering. Drop D tuning for this arrangement would present some unnecessary difficulties. Either play in A /no capo or Bb/capo I/key of A fingering.

I would not be surprised to find out this recording was done with a partial capo at fret 2. It sure sounds like it. I dinked around with it a little and it is very doable.

I also hear a low root on the IV chord on the bridge. I agree with Tim that a second guitar joins in at that point, probably detuned to Eb with Drop Db on string 6. The voice is also obviously double tracked there. And yeah, it sounds a helluva lot like Stephen Bishop, but better...

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2019 7:01 am    

I really like the pedal steel in the original (Stephen Bishop) version. It adds a "spacey/open" sound that's hard to replicate with any other instrument. Done by Michael Staton (a name seldom mentioned on the forum), it's just about perfect! Cool

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2019 8:57 am    

A very talented guy, who obviously is not afraid of a little criticism...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NqpNQ9AJYgU