The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hall of Fame
Bob Cox

Buckeye State
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2019 7:54 am    

After attending the ISGC for many years,and getting to perform there, I am sadden by the unwillingness of the holding party's to hold a special meeting for this purpose. These awards need a permanent home of display. Its due time we all band together and come up with the solution and get this taken care of. These do not belong in a closet in ST Louis. They are for public viewing to honor those that achieved this high honor of respect. Perhaps Bob could dedicate a topic tile to help encounter a justified solution that will offer a lifetime home for these. Please offer up helpful solutions.

Lee Warren

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2019 10:38 am    

Would the Country Music Hall of Fame in Nashville be a suitable home?
If so, I have to believe that they would be receptive to some kind of proposal.

Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2019 12:08 pm     ISGC Plaques

The Musicians Hall Of Fame in Nashville would also probably give them a home. Joe Chambers ran it at one time. Another thought would be the opry lobby or the old ShoBud store/Roberts western store.

Bob Cox

Buckeye State
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2019 1:30 pm    

The Opry would be a great place with its longevity. Most of the award winners have played there too. Great Idea! Chime in Tommy White!

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2019 5:54 pm    

Well I think there should be a Steel Guitar Hall of Fame Building or suitable place built in Texas.

1) It is more centrally located in the Continental USA.

2) Many of the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame Inductees and Steel Guitarists were not associated with Nashville. You have West Coast Players, Vegas Players, Hawaiian Steel Guitar Players and other players of other regions and their Musical Genre tastes.

3)Texas has the largest Steel Guitar Show these days and it looks like it will continue to be that way. The Steel Guitar is alive and well in Texas as is real Country Music.

4)I love all the Steel Guitarists and all their contributions and styles. They deserve to be recognized no matter where the plaques and awards are housed.

5)My closing remarks, I will support the Steel Guitarists and their efforts regardless of where it is finally decided to build or display these awards. We Steel Guitarists all owe them at least this much. They paved the way for us and many paid dearly with their hard work and sacrifices to play the instrument we all love!

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2019 6:41 pm    

Who owns the awards?

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2019 6:41 am    

Lee Baucum wrote:
Who owns the awards?

My bet would be on the Scott family.

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2019 11:24 am    

I heard that the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame Plaques are be stored in a basement in St. Louis. The Plaques need to be on display for the general public. Hopefully they will available for display in the future. The Steel Guitar Hall of Fame belongs to the public and future Steel Guitarists!

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2019 11:28 am    

Who exactly is on The Steel Guitar Hall of Fame Board these days too? There used to be 7 or 8 members on it. Time to get things rolling along Steel Guitarists everywhere should unite on the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame, The Hall of Fame Awards and Steel Guitar Shows. We need to help things by working together. If we dont then the Steel Guitar will fade off into the Sunset. I am amazed that things are not running. Scotty paved the way for so many! Let's try to get things up and running again.

Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2019 3:52 am    

Scotty sure influenced me when I first started on pedal steel. His book and steel shows along with Winnie's book,opened the way for me for sure. Would love to see the SGHOF plaques on display anywhere.I would also like to publicly thank the Scott family and All who worked so hard for years to promote steel guitar in All its forms.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2019 9:23 am    

I have suggested in other threads about the HOF that the Musician's HOF in Nashville would be the ideal place for them.

Stored somewhere is not the place for them.

I don't know if the Scott family actually "owns them" or if by default they have them. I know we hosted a HOF Fundraising show in 2004 and there was close to $3000 raised at that one event, which I assume all (except $600 that went to one Steel Guitarist) went into the HOF's bank account. There were other activities that were HOF fundraisers. How much of the HOF funds covered the plaques????

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2019 3:01 pm    

I'm not sure that the Musicians Hall of Fame would give up the space to display all those plaques. If they did, then the guitar players, drummers, fiddle players, etc... would expect the same space allotment. I'd say a large plaque with a listing of the names is a more realistic expectation. Actually, I'd, like to see one in the Country Music Hall Of Fame, but I realize some of the members are not associated with country music.

RC

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2019 4:46 pm    

If I am not mistaken, Micheal Scott has tried to sell the plaques to all the venues mentioned, among others.

I don't know if he is asking too high a price or if no one really cares.

This was not a national organization, but yet one created by Scotty to honor steelers.

I suspect they will never be seen again.

Just my opinion.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2019 9:23 pm    

deleted

Last edited by Douglas Schuch on 19 Aug 2019 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2019 2:22 am    

Quote:
If I am not mistaken, Micheal Scott has tried to sell the plaques to all the venues mentioned, among others.

That may be the key to why they aren't somewhere that can be displayed.

Lee Baucum

Post  Posted 17 Aug 2019 4:34 am    

Click Here

Also Click Here

One has to assume the Steel Guitar Hall Of Fame, Inc. and plaques all belong to Scotty's lawful heirs.

Let's hope Scotty "had his affairs in order" at the time of his death.

When someone dies intestate (no will) there can be unintended consequences that can tie up an estate (both assets and liabilities) for years.

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2019 4:43 am    

My experience by living in Nashville and visiting the musicians Hall of Fame was a bit disappointing. It’s seems the displays were more pointed to seeing singing stars again that just happened to play in instrument and less about the meat and potatoes of the playing of the instrument.

I walked away depressed. But I can understand what draws in the typical tourist in Nashville Tennessee. The typical tourist knows very little about the steel guitarist that sat behind the steel guitar. Or should I say any other instruments. They are an excited by the major star that happens to hold a guitar but has had major singing hits. That’s really how that museum makes money to stay alive.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2019 4:53 am    

When we held the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame fundraising show, the Hall of Fame was presented as a registered in the State of Missouri non profit organization.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2019 5:50 am    

Lee, those are old web pages and nothing has changed on them in 2-3 years.

As far as Scotty having his affairs in order, who can say.

By what he told me several times, there weren't many affairs to get in order.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Lee Baucum

Post  Posted 17 Aug 2019 6:09 am    

Bill - I just posted those links for the benefit of newbies and others who may not know the back story.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2019 6:13 am    

These discussions always -- every single time, and that's a lot of times -- read to me as "Somebody needs to spend tens of thousands of their dollars so that we don't feel disrespected as steel players."

I have no use for halls of fame. They are poor substitutes for actual respect, remembrance and preservation and education. And they will ALWAYS cause lesser minds to complain that their personal favorite person deserves to be in before someone else's favorite gets in. Whether its batting average or hit recordings or artistry.

If the NEXT hall of fame thread does not start with "ok --I will start an organization and I will donate $xxx and file the paperwork with the state to start the ball rolling. Who is with me?" then it will just be yet another hall of fame complain fest.

And no, not me or my $$ but good luck.

Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2019 7:21 am     Where's The Money

Where is all the money gathered up at the many, many steel guitar "Hall Of Fame Fund Raiser Shows" that was to go toward a place to house the plaques?
This money supposedly was in a seperate account somewhere Shocked

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2019 8:02 am    

Fred. I don't know where the money is. Scotty just always told me there was not enough money to build a building.
I can't say anything for sure, but I would guess the money that he raised at the HOF shows went to pay for those plaques and such.

Last edited by Bill Ferguson on 17 Aug 2019 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total

Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2019 8:09 am    

Bill, thank you

Last edited by Fred Justice on 17 Aug 2019 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2019 8:27 am    

Read my previous editing post.

Last edited by Bill Ferguson on 17 Aug 2019 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total