The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need Some Advice Please
Lester Mabry

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2019 1:07 pm    

Hello everyone,

I just bought a Carter Starter pedal steel and I need to figure out what to buy to get it going.

I can't seem to find any YouTube videos on how to hook these up and what kind of cables, amps, or pedals that I need and how I hook them up when I get them.

I need to be able to play quietly and cheaply. Apparently, I am going to need to get extensions for the pedals so I am unsure if I am going to need a low profile pedal or not. I have my eye on these:

www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sho-Bud-Volume-Pedal-for-Steel-Guitar/113831040842

and

www.ebay.com/itm/Bugera-V5INFINIUM-5-Watt-Class-A-Tube-Combo-Amp-New-JRR-Shop/183416826346

Also, I guess I am going to need cables to hook them up with. I don't even know wher to start with this. Can anyone give me a hand?

Thanks for having me,
Lester

Benjamin Davidson

Post  Posted 27 Jul 2019 1:25 pm    

Welcome to the journey.

As for volume pedals, although there is a draw getting something like that sho-bud pedal its unnessacary. Any modern built volume pedal can do the job (running a ernie ball vp jr myself). Which you should be able to find used cheaper.

To an amp where. If playing cheap and quiet are your priorities, a 5 watt tube amp may not be the best bet. I would look for a quality built soild state amp that will have a full 3 band eq control and the option to plug in Head phones. (An aux in to play backing tracks may be helpful as well) where this low output amp looks ok, with marketing. Based on its discription I doubt it will remain clean enough for use with a steel.

1) its looks like its ment to have some breakup from the EL84s (I own a 15w EL84 amp, which sounds ok but I have to keep input low)

2) only an overall tone control, this isnt enough to really tone shape a steel. You'll find yourself able to cut highs and thats about it.

3) an 8 inch speaker, would be ok to practice, but may not sound inspiring.

As to the hookup, i run my steel to volume pedal witha 3 ft cable, a 6in bridge to a strobe tuner, and 5 to 10 ft of cable from that to my amp. Pretty straight forward.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2019 1:51 pm    

I see you're from Texas. We always need more Texans on the Forum!

Would you happen to be a descendant of Brigadier General Woodford H. Mabry?

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Lester Mabry

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2019 1:53 pm    

Like this? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ernie-Ball-VP-Jr-250K-Guitar-Volume-pedal-Guitar-Effect-Pedal/323869360687?epid=93970013&hash=item4b681e422f:g:6lUAAOSwLrtdO5Y-#viTabs_0

Do I need to worry about the difference between 250k or 500k or whether or not the "pot" is dirty or whatever?

Also, that one looks pretty slim. Can I expect to get much smaller than that? I think the legs on this thing are 26 inches with no adjustment, and it is about 23 inches from the floor to my knees at a 90 degree angle.

I am looking at the amps you mentioned as we speak. Smile

Lester Mabry

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2019 1:56 pm    

Hey Lee!

I used to an Admiral of a starship in a text based online game, so it wouldn't surprise me if we shared some blood. Winking

Benjamin Davidson

Post  Posted 27 Jul 2019 2:09 pm    

All the ernie balls are about the same height, not low like a hilton or goodwrich, but doable.

Difference between a 250k pot and a 500k pot isnt significant (ive run both in mine, one isnt better than the other till you learn enough to start chasing your own tone). If the seller says the pot is diry or scratchy, move on to the next listing. A dehraded pot could be of use to a guitar player who isnt using the pedal much, but you'll get to move that pedal during every note or measure. You dont want a drad spot, scratch or distortion at any point.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2019 2:26 pm    

Why not get a "steel guitar" volume pedal and be done with it. Steel guitar volume pedals are properly angled for someone sitting down and have the desired 500K pot. The 6 string pedals, like the Ernie Ball's and several others, are designed for someone that is standing up and have a different angle.

Lester Mabry

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2019 2:31 pm    

That's what I figured. Is that sho bud a steel guitar one? I am not quite sure how to spot them.

Lester Mabry

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2019 2:55 pm    

I found some tuners. Is that necessary?

www.ebay.com/itm/Peterson-SP-1-StroboPlus-HD-Chromatic-Hand-Held-Strobe-Tuner/192996932442
and

www.ebay.com/itm/Peterson-403867-SP-1-Strobo-Plus-HD-Strobe-Tuner/183864138159

May I ask what the size of the connections are that go from the pedals to the tuner and to the amp?

For example: I didn't understand what you meant by 6 inch bridge. Are they all the same size? Can I just go straight from the pedal to the amp? I am trying to price this out and figure out exactly how these plug in.

Thanks, Benjamin!

***Edit*** I was reading about amps that came with pickups. I guess I kind of assumed that the pickup would be in the guitar already. Do I need to start looking at pickups? Thanks guys, I know this is a lot of questions!

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2019 3:25 pm    

A tuner is a definite benefit. You can start cheaply with a clip on for around $15.00

You just need regular old guitar chords with 1/4 inch plugs. One from the guitar to the input of your volume pedal (probably about 3 feet long will do). you need one from the output of your volume pedal to the amplifier (just how long you need it to be by how far you will place the amp from your guitar. You can pick these up at any music store, on Amazon, eBay, Reverb etc.

If you just need an amp only to hear your guitar in your room, you can pick up a practice amp pretty cheaply - from any of the places mentioned above. Maybe someone on hear can suggest a decent one for you. If you want to sound good, you'll need to spend some more $$, and do a little research about what different ones do. I will say this though, you can find Peavey Nashville 400s all day long between $300.00 and $400.00. They are great sounding amps, as loud as you will probably ever need to be, and they were made for pedal steel guitars.

Good luck in your hunt, and enjoy your pedal steeling!

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2019 3:30 pm    

I just read your last question: The pickup is in the guitar - you don't need to buy it. You need a guitar, volume pedal, 2 chords, and an amplifier. This will get you going. And, a steel bar, if you don't already have one, and 2 finger picks, and a thumb pick.

Lester Mabry

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2019 3:37 pm    

Bobby, thanks for responding!

Can you tell me what you think of this amp? Could I get something a little cheaper that would suffice for playing in my room?
www.ebay.com/itm/Peavey-KB-300-105-watt-Keyboard-Steel-Guitar-amp-WOW/392342732497
Could I turn that amp low enough to play when people are sleeping? Or do I need to look elsewhere?

Also, are these pedals going to be okay?
www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sho-Bud-Volume-Pedal-for-Steel-Guitar/113831040842

It looks like they're missing a bottom cover. Is that how they came originally, and will they last that way?

I can't think of any more questions. I am getting close to knowing what I need to buy.

Thanks again!

Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2019 5:14 pm    

Hi Lester the volume pedal you are looking at was designed to fit a Sho Bud steel with an attaching bracket that is a permanent part of the pedal bar. It could be used in your case but there would be some work and parts to get it to work.

Good luck
Barry

Lester Mabry

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2019 5:30 pm    

Thank you, sir.

Jamie Kitlarchuk

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2019 6:11 pm    

Since you sound like you’re brand new to this, I’d suggest getting a new volume pedal if possible, so you don’t have to worry about buying someone else’s problem... unless you like to tinker. If you don’t want to break the bank check out the Stage One volume pedal.

I just bought a used Goodrich low profile pedal, but played an Ernie ball Jr for a while and it was fine, just too high for me. I like the feel of the Goodrich better.

Any decent tuner where you can measure cents will be fine. I use my old Boss TU2.

My thought is you’re better off spending some money on quality instructions or lessons to get you going, and not getting too caught up in buying all the best gear right off the bat.

YMMV

Lester Mabry

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2019 6:25 pm    

Hi Jamie,

So great to hear from you. That stage one pedal is much more reasonably priced than the others I've seen. I may just end up getting that one.

I was thinking that I might want the low profile pedal though, since my inseam is about 36 inches...but I think this guitar can be raised up to 3 inches with one 75 dollar extension.

I guess I may have to wait until the guitar comes in and measure it to be sure. It would be nice to only have to spend a hundred dollars!

Thank you!

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2019 10:32 pm    

Lester, that amp looks like it will do you just fine to get yourself off the ground with. And it look like they have a 14 day return policy which should protect you from receiving an amp that doesn't work.

I'm with Jamie about not getting caught up with lot of expensive gear right off the bat. This is a very complicated instrument to get a hold of, and takes a lot of time and dedication. You will have plenty of time to learn about all the ins and outs of gear and so on. I have one thought about the volume pedal though: with a 36" inseam, you may want to go ahead and get a Hilton. It's a high end vol pedal, yet still affordable ( a little more than twice what you'll pay for an old pedal), and has a very low profile. If you decide you want to get rid of it at a later date, you will have no problem selling it for near what you paid - and as stated above, you won't be starting off dealing with problems, which to me, is worth a little extra $$.

Billy J Bonner

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2019 9:41 am     lester where in Texas are you located

Where in Texas are you living someone may be close enough to give you a hand and let you try out there stuff!