The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Peterson tuner on iphone 7
Jerry McNulty

Kingsbury Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2019 6:22 am    

I have the Peterson soft tuner on my iphone 7 and purchase the adapter from Peterson to plug my guitar into it. Since the iphone 7 dose not have an ear phone jack, it required another adapter. I purchased that adapter also but I have yet to get it all to work. Its not the adapter as it works without the Peterson attachment. Has anybody figured out how to make this work?

Doug Taylor

Shelbyville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2019 6:40 am    

I just bought this app over the weekend and got the adapter in the mail yesterday. When you bought your IPhone you should have got a lightning to 1/8 adapter. I plugged the Peterson adapter into the IPhone adapter and it worked great.

If you don’t have this adapter I would think you could get one at Wal mart etc or Amazon.

I used it to tune my steel last night and it did a great job,I have been using my phone to tune my bass for at least a couple of years and it looks like it will now be my pedal steel tuner of choice.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2019 7:20 am    

I'm assuming yo have the following items:

https://www.petersontuners.com/shop/item/Adaptor-Cable-for-Mobile-Devices

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MK5F2QT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had to change one of the settings on my Iphone X to get the Peterson app to work well. I checked the setting called "BOOST".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Doug Taylor

Shelbyville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2019 7:28 am    

Sorry Jerry, I misread your post, thinking you did not have the second adapter

Gaylen James

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2019 9:56 am     stop "improving"

Shucks, I still miss the old long iphone, ipod, ipad jack. First they get rid of that, then get rid of the 1/8" jack. I have different jacks all over the place but never seem to have the one I need when I need it.
This is not improving, this is just mean.

Jerry McNulty

Kingsbury Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2019 12:48 pm    

I have both parts the Peterson adapter and the lightning to ear phone jack.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2019 3:44 pm    

Does your iPhone work at all through the built in mic with the Peterson app?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Jerry McNulty

Kingsbury Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2019 7:39 am    

the tunner works with the mic when everything's unplugged. Im going to buy a new adapter at walmart and try again. Looked at my settings and havnt found anything

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2019 7:54 am    

Boost is not under "settings". On the main tuner screen, bottom left hand corner, there is a left pointing arrow next to the temperament display. Click that arrow and the options appear:

Mode
Tuning
Display
Speed

Noise Filter
Boost

Jerry McNulty

Kingsbury Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2019 10:10 am    

The boost filter was on. I talked to Peterson and they said on the right side there is an option to go from mic to plug. I see its set on mic. Im at work and dont have the adapter with me to see if that will make it work but im thinking thats the issue.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2019 1:06 pm    

With no cable or just the lightning to 1/8" cable plugged into my iPhone, I get the MIC symbol showing on the lower right of the screen and the MIC is active. Shown in 1st pic below.

Once I plug the Peterson 1/8" to 1/4" cable into the 1/8" port of the lighting cable, the MIC symbol changes to a DOWN ARROW, the mic is inactive, and the 1/4" cable port works with my guitars. Shown in 2nd pic below.

In either case the MIC vs DOWN ARROW is not selectable but changes with the Peterson + lightning cables being plugged in or unplugged.

There is a slight bug however. The tuner app goes dead (freezes up) after I plug in all the adapter cables until I close the Peterson app and then re-open it, but only if the app is open when I plug the cables in!

Last edited by Greg Cutshaw on 26 Jul 2019 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jerry McNulty

Kingsbury Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2019 4:48 am    

mine is not switching. My lightning to 1/8 also has an input for a charger. I wonder if this is just not compadable

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2019 5:53 am    

Get the lightning to 1/8" cable like I have above. I've got a bunch of lightning cables here and only about half of them have the data connections in them. Guess some are probably charge only cables.

Jerry McNulty

Kingsbury Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2019 10:56 am    

Grabbed a new adapter from walmart. As soon as i plugged it in to the device the icon switched. Im guessing its good now. Ill plug in the guitar when I get home. Appreciate the help

Brian LeBlanc

Falls Church, Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2021 10:26 am     iPHONE 7 tuner....& JN"s Tempered tuning?

- Peterson best iPhone 7 tuning app ...?

- i'm trying to use Jeff Newman's Tempered tuning chart...
with specific Hertz #'s

- is that an option ...( and how ?)

- or am i out-of-tune with 2021 ?

- !

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2021 6:26 pm    

I have a iphone 7 plus and the peterson app works just fine without anything plugged into it... I usually just sit the phone on top of my C6th neck when I am tuning the E9th, and vice-versa ... still picks up the strings fine when I am using the amp, or its really quiet - not ideal for quiet tuning on a gig though hehe.
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.