The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  unique Sho-Bud Pro III 24 3/8 scale $3550 OBO
Jay Jessup

Charlottesville, VA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2019 12:01 pm    

This guitar was ordered new by the Richmond VA Sho-Bud dealer, Ray Garrett. I bought my first good steel, a 74 Pro III from Ray when it was new and when I saw this guitar for sale about 10 years ago I had to have it but it's just sitting in it's pristine case these days and I'm getting older and need to move it on to it's 3'rd owner.
Richmond was an Emmons town and I suspect some of the custom features of this guitar were the result of gentle ribbing Ray got from Teddy Lloyd and other Richmond players of the era.
It has the short key heads as Lloyd Green's guitar has but the scale length is 24 3/8" not 24 1/2 like Lloyds and a few other custom Buds I have heard of. Ray was a huge Chalker fan and even though the unique C6 tone control looks unusual I'm convinced that it how it came from the factory. It also has hotter than average pickups with the E9 pup showing 22.58 ohms and 10.90 tapped and the C6 reading 23.02 and 11.34 tapped on my digital meter.
Ray always carried his guitar to gigs covered and assembled which is why the case looks brand new. He also carried it with his volume pedal mounted to a bracket on the pedal bar which accounts for the scratches on the right side of the pedal bar. I'm pretty sure Ray also had a piece of leather taped between the two necks because there are very few bar dings or scratches there but there is some tape residue next to each neck which I have been hesitant to try to remove for fear of damaging the finish.
The finish is a Lloyd Green---Green and it has survived quite well over the years and doesn't look as brown as my pictures may look but it does vary from place to place.
The builders tag on the guitar is not signed but shows it as model #6164 with a 6144 serial number. I moved away from Richmond in June of 75 and Ray was still playing his SB crossover at the time but I suspect this guitar was built sometime in 75 as the square front and larger pedals indicate.
The pedal arrangement is standard but the knees are a little different but these guitars aren't hard to make changes to. I guess I should add that this guitar sounds and plays well.
I'll add pics and a copedent in a bit but if you have any questions ask away. This guitar weighs 75 lbs in the case so figure at least 80 once packed and shipped from 22901.

Last edited by Jay Jessup on 23 Jul 2019 12:32 pm; edited 2 times in total

Jay Jessup

Charlottesville, VA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2019 12:27 pm     more pics

Jay Jessup

Charlottesville, VA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2019 12:31 pm     copedent

Nicholas Scott

Norfolk, VA USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2019 12:33 pm    

Very Cool! Looking forward to the pics! Great history!

Jay Jessup

Charlottesville, VA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2019 6:08 am    

to the top

Michael J Thomas

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2019 1:27 pm     Short keyhead

These short keyhead long scale buds are rare and sound great

Jay Jessup

Charlottesville, VA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2019 11:30 am    

I know Pro IIIs aren't super collectable but this one is truly one of a kind and it's exactly the way it left the factory in '75. The few holes you see in the pics are not threaded so nothing on this guitar has been changed or modified since it was built.
Ray, along with his brother Dave ran Metro Music on Hull street in Richmond, he did play regularly back in the mid 70s but it may not have been more than a few times a month and I don't know how many years he continued playing after I left town so there is a good chance this guitar doesn't have a lot of miles on it in spite of it's age.
I'm not married to the price so if you've an interest in a one of kind classic Sho-Bud please let me know.
Jay

Jay Jessup

Charlottesville, VA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2019 10:31 am    

let's make this Sho-Bud day on the first page of the list.
I'm open to offers.
Jay

Jay Jessup

Charlottesville, VA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2019 10:56 am    

I've had no offers or even questions about this guitar so I assume no one in SGF land has an interest in it but wanted to give it one last shot before I try somewhere else.

Daniel Stein

Glen Allen, Virginia, US
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2019 11:54 am     steel

wish I could bring this bad boy back to RVA with me lol

I have a pedalmaster D10 that is a 8x7 that im trying to trade for something a little more "vintage"
Quilter mach 3
Quilter aviator (1x12)
Sho bud single channel
Custom b bender Tele
Fender telecaster bass
Yamaha fretless bass
MarkBass 1x12 (Bass rig)
‘70s Slingerland Drumkit
Yamaha modx 6 (keyboard)
‘79 washburn Jethro burns mandolin
2022 deering deluxe banjo
Unknown early 1890s to early 1900s fiddle

Bill Bailey

Kingman, AZ
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2019 11:17 pm     Sho-Bud

Very Happy Jay, you have a beautiful guitar there. Except for the older style floor pedals and the color, this could pass for my dream Sho Bud Pro III that I had to let go back around 1985 here in Kingman. The wood in these old Buds are to die for, I just love them. Best luck selling.
92 Emmons Lashley LeGrande D-10
Two Nashville 400 Amps and Nashvill 112.

Jay Jessup

Charlottesville, VA, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2020 6:33 am    

Giving this one more shot on the SGF, really needing to clean out the guitar closet so if anyone is interested please feel free to make me an offer.

Jay Jessup

Charlottesville, VA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2020 2:29 pm    

Please close, gonna give this a shot somewhere else.

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2020 8:51 pm     Re: Sho-Bud

Bill Bailey wrote:
Very Happy Jay, you have a beautiful guitar there. Except for the older style floor pedals and the color, this could pass for my dream Sho Bud Pro III that I had to let go back around 1985 here in Kingman. The wood in these old Buds are to die for, I just love them. Best luck selling.

Ol’ Blue ? I remember that guitar. It was a great sounding Bud!!!!

Bill Bailey

Kingman, AZ
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2020 10:11 pm     Sho-Bud

Very Happy Thanks Tony, yes it was a very special one that I pretty much wore out on the road. Some day I would like to meet you again face to face and tell you how I lost it. Much too long for here.
92 Emmons Lashley LeGrande D-10
Two Nashville 400 Amps and Nashvill 112.