The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New to me Show Pro! Have some questions.
Marc Jenkins

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2019 1:21 am    

Well I went and bought a Show Pro from a local player. It’s this steel:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=164615&highlight=show+pro

It’s pretty great! Few questions for those in the know:

- only issue seller had was that the knee levers stop directly against the wood, and he said that affected tuning stability. He’s added some little pads where the levers stop, but is there a better solution?
- I’ve played a rack and barrel Bud for so long I can’t remember - when tuning pulls is it best to release pedal or lever before adjusting?
- nylon tuners are very stiff, can I do anything about that?
- will an old Sho~Bud pickup fit? 710 in it looks wider.
- I’ll eventually need to change some pulls. Best to order new rods from Jeff?

Thanks kindly!

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2019 7:21 am     Re: New to me Show Pro! Have some questions.

Marc Jenkins wrote:
knee levers stop directly against the wood, and he said that affected tuning stability. He’s added some little pads where the levers stop, but is there a better solution?

Use something really hard that cannot give way, such as a coin or similar-sized piece of metal.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2019 12:33 pm    

my guitar has little metal squares under lever stops, get in touch with a Jeff , and I’m sure he’ll send you some ...

I always tune my guitars with pedals released, not sure about the pickup , stif nylon tuners I don’t mind, but from my experience some guitars are little stiffer then others

Last edited by Damir Besic on 24 Jul 2019 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2019 12:39 pm     Re: New to me Show Pro! Have some questions.

Marc Jenkins wrote:

- only issue seller had was that the knee levers stop directly against the wood, and he said that affected tuning stability. He’s added some little pads where the levers stop, but is there a better solution?
- I’ve played a rack and barrel Bud for so long I can’t remember - when tuning pulls is it best to release pedal or lever before adjusting?

Thanks kindly!

Are you sure that the levers stop against wood? On mine the levers stop against adjustable bolts set in brackets. My Show Pro has zero tuning issues. I'd give Jeff Surratt a ring and maybe email him a photo of your guitar's undercarriage. He could advise you if your guitar has been tampered with in any way.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Marc Jenkins

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2019 12:53 pm     Re: New to me Show Pro! Have some questions.

Ken Byng wrote:
Marc Jenkins wrote:

Thanks kindly!

Are you sure that the levers stop against wood? On mine the levers stop against adjustable bolts set in brackets. My Show Pro has zero tuning issues. I'd give Jeff Surratt a ring and maybe email him a photo of your guitar's undercarriage. He could advise you if your guitar has been tampered with in any way.

Very sure. I looked up pics here from early Show Pros, and the set screw rests against wood.