The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Cab to match Milkman "The Amp"
Devon Teran

Kansas City
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2019 7:56 am    

I recently got a Milkman "The Amp" to put together a light gigging rig (and for a lot of other great uses).

I have a 2x12 I use with my Bassman I'm putting it through currently. I'm looking for cab suggestions for doing a full light-weight gigging rig. I will also play guitar through the setup. I'm thinking of some sort of single speaker cab that I can use to project out for small gigs, and for larger gigs, just point at myself as a monitor.

Any recommendations to pair with the Milkman?
Speaker size? I'm used to 12s, but not sure about the pros and cons of going to another size.

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2019 10:37 am    

I use Tim's recommendation, the Jupiter Ceramic 12". I have it in a Mojotone Lite cab, whole thing is about 22 lbs...sounds great. sometimes I just use the XLR out with the Cab Sim on into the PA, but that isn't as pretty. I have The Amp right on my pedal board...

Others use the Milkman Neo, a few lbs. lighter, and what he uses in the combo version with a speaker in it. I believe it actually is the Celestion Neo Creamback.

Marc Jenkins

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2019 11:00 am    

I’m using the Milkman 12” in a very lightweight aluminium cab from an old film projector. Put it together for traveling, loving the tone!!

Devon Teran

Kansas City
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2019 12:23 pm    

Is there any reason to avoid going down to a 10”?

How about open or closed for pedal steel? Would the bass response be better with closed?

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2019 3:31 pm    

Devon Teran wrote:
Is there any reason to avoid going down to a 10”?

How about open or closed for pedal steel? Would the bass response be better with closed?

I use a single 12" JBL D120 in a small open back cab with my "The Amp". Plenty of bass. Sounds like heaven.

You could try a 10 but I haven't had much luck with them. Also a closed cab can be great but tend to be focused in a weird way. Like it might have a strong bass response but only at 120hz. I've tried them and decided that the efficient projecting certain frequencies was not worth losing the more natural (to my ear) full sound of a semi open backed cab.