Larry King

Watts, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2019 11:46 am    

Our friend Mark Abbott reports the death of Jim Glaser

Jim sang the tenor part on El Paso....he also had Woman , Woman

john buffington

Owasso OK - USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2019 1:01 pm    

So sad to learn of, one of the greatest trio's and harmony singer. Sympathies and prayers for his family.

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2019 1:04 pm    

That smarts---the Glaser Brothers were my favorite country group of all time. Jim was a very approachable guy--I got to spend some time talking to him the only time I saw the brothers perform, in SF in the 1980s.

Billy Murdoch

Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2019 2:47 pm    

R.I.P Jim and condolences to Family and friends.Jim was a superb singer and from all accounts a real Gentleman.

Jerry Fessenden

Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2019 4:14 pm     Jim Glazer

I hate this news ... I worked with him and Lamar Morris yrs ago in Bristol,Tn He taught me how to rehearse without wasting a lot of every ones time . I never forgot that. What a great songwriter , and GREAT singer to the end ...he sounded the same as when he was younger. True sadness now !

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2019 9:34 pm    

I sure loved this guy. He could sing higher then most female singers. He and his brothers left us such great music. Did the Glasers' ever get inducted into the Country Music Hall Of Fame after their spat with the nashville music establishment?

Bruce W Heffner

Payson, Arizona
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2019 7:16 pm     Jim Glaser

A great artist, his legacy lives on in his music. My favorite, the Lights of Albuquerque.

"We live in Arizona now."

Payson, AZ

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2019 7:34 pm    

The Glaser Brothers were one of the best country harmony family groups ever! Jim Glaser's song titled "Woman, Woman," was a huge hit for the 60s Group "Gary Puckett and The Union Gap." But nobody could sing it better than Jim Glaser himself. There is a video clip on YouTube of him singing it on The Country Family Reunion show. Watch it and hear a Great singer. RIP Jim Glaser

Jim Keith

Anna Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2019 9:50 am     One of my favorites

The Glaser Bros. was my favorite backup group, and had been since 1961. Jim was especially gifted. I will always miss these guys.

David Zornes

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2019 11:20 am     Jim Glaser

I remember working with Jim in the early 80s. He was a gentleman and was very kind to me. He had a great range with his voice.

Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2019 2:34 pm    

Terry Wood wrote:
The Glaser Brothers were one of the best country harmony family groups ever! Jim Glaser's song titled "Woman, Woman," was a huge hit for the 60s Group "Gary Puckett and The Union Gap." But nobody could sing it better than Jim Glaser himself. There is a video clip on YouTube of him singing it on The Country Family Reunion show. Watch it and hear a Great singer. RIP Jim Glaser
Terry, I remember when that particular show aired. I was amazed that Jim sang Woman,Woman with such precision and ease at his advanced age. Of course, he received a well-deserved standing ovation! His voice was my favorite of the brothers.
May he rest in peace.
- from movie Six Degrees of Separation

Come visit my steel guitar store on CafePress! http://www.cafepress.com/zoomwithaview
Webmaster, http://www.georgiasteelguitar.com

Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2019 3:17 pm    

I'm sad to hear of Jim's passing. An absolutely GREAT singer and a good guy too. I loved the Glaser Bros. sound but Jim was especially something else..!!

My prayers go out for him and the family and friends.

Chris "Tiny" Olson

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2019 5:32 pm    

Jim could write'em-sing'em-play'em about as good as anybody I can think of...a true"hoss"and I will miss him.

Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2019 7:28 pm    

I really hate to hear about this. When my wife and I were dating, he was our favorite artist. We got to see him do a club date in OKC and got to visit for a minute. Really nice guy. The last couple of years I thought it would be really great to maybe catch him passing through between dates and hire him to do a 'house party' performance for a few friends. That would have been special at almost any cost!

Gary Spaeth

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2019 10:05 am    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQTaLcLgPGA

Diane Diekman

South Dakota, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2019 3:34 am    

Ronny Robbins sang "El Paso" at the book release party for my Twentieth Century Drifter: The Life of Marty Robbins in 2012, with Jim Glaser and Joe Babcock singing harmony. it was the first time Jim and Joe had sung together in fifty years.
Author of "Twentieth Century Drifter: The Life of Marty Robbins"

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2019 8:54 am    

I loved the way the Bros. could do tunes and change parts right in the middle of a line. Tompall would start it off and sing maybe half a line and Jim would come in and finish it. There's a video somewhere of them doing this on YouTube. Even Chuck took a part in some of this.

One of my favorite records of theirs was "Gone On The Other Hand" with "Big Joe Talbot on the Steel Guitar".........JH in Va.

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2019 10:02 pm    

Jerry Hayes wrote:
I loved the way the Bros. could do tunes and change parts right in the middle of a line. Tompall would start it off and sing maybe half a line and Jim would come in and finish it. There's a video somewhere of them doing this on YouTube. Even Chuck took a part in some of this.

Jerry:

Here's an audio track of that.

https://picosong.com/wQAsc

As far as I know, they never did that on a studio recording. I asked Jim about it and he said they figured the attraction was mostly because of the visual effect of Jim poking his face in front of Tompall's, at the last possible moment, right in front of the mike. They didn't think it would translate well on a 45 or LP.

The story is that the idea originated in the early 60s when the brothers were performing in a club in Canada. The crowd seemed to be more interested in talking, drinking and carrying on than listening, so out of frustration Tompall decided to just start singing a bunch of songs back to back without introduction. The crowd is said to have gone wild about it, so it was thereafter incorporated into their live show.

Bill Paisley

Athens, TN, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2019 5:34 am     Jim Glaser

Jim was a great talent. The brothers had the best harmony. They did a show at my home town and Doyle Grisham was the steel player

Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2019 10:17 am    

Diane Diekman wrote:

Ronny Robbins sang "El Paso" at the book release party for my Twentieth Century Drifter: The Life of Marty Robbins in 2012, with Jim Glaser and Joe Babcock singing harmony. it was the first time Jim and Joe had sung together in fifty years.

That's had to be quite the release party, Diane! Congratulations on your many accomplishments, and thank you for sharing! Donna Dodd
- from movie Six Degrees of Separation

Come visit my steel guitar store on CafePress! http://www.cafepress.com/zoomwithaview
Webmaster, http://www.georgiasteelguitar.com

Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2019 11:15 pm    

Sad to hear. He was one of the good guys.

Kind Regards, Walter

Travis Partain

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2019 8:10 am     Mr. Jim Glaser

Jim Glaser was and still is among my favorite singers and I love the way he sang Woman, Woman, among the others he did. RIP Jim Glaser

Gary Watkins

Bristol, VA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2019 8:29 am    

Terry Wood wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQTaLcLgPGA

Dennis Manuel

Quesnel, B.C., Canada
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2019 10:22 am    

Sometimes no words can portray the sadness one feels in the heart. Today is one of those days for me. Miss you Jim and your talent forever!

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2019 12:52 pm    

My favorite Glaser Brother. RIP.