The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Installing a Vertical on an LDG. Have you?
Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2019 8:40 am    

Has anyone installed a vertical lever on an LDG using Michael's LAMA part(tall)? any picture would be appreciated. Thanks...

Brian Hollands

Geneva, FL USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2019 9:33 am    

I'm planning on doing it soon, haven't yet though. This is the only reference picture I've got. Not 100% sure it uses Michael's part...

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2019 1:10 pm     Thanks Brian

That is a good picture. If that is the tall LAMA, it has been modified. Do you know who owns that LDG and if they did the install?

Brian Hollands

Geneva, FL USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2019 2:42 pm    

No, I don't even remember where I got the picture. I'm still trying to decide where to place the cross shaft. I do like the length of the lever. Should give a lot of leverage

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2019 3:52 pm     True...

Lots of leverage there. Mine needs to be a little different, have to pull a whole tone which means a little more movement then some. Looking for ideas and if the LAMA was used.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2019 7:57 pm    

Here is a picture of my llama. His name is Horace, he sings in a Mötley Crüe tribute band.

Also, here is a pic of a vertical knee lever on a late model 'bud, just for grins. What is it that you're trying to determine? The bracket is designed to extend the lever out beyond the plane of the bell cranks, Michael's part is a replica of the original pot metal Sho-Bud item.

The geometry of the bracket shouldn't be particularly relevant in determining whether this is the right part for the job, there aren't too many options here. The bracket just mounts a lever at an appropriate position, and rotates a shaft. The need for increased or decreased leverage in the associated pull would be dealt with between the bell crank and the changer.

Brian Hollands

Geneva, FL USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2019 3:35 am    

I can't speak for Dick, but for me the issue is placement. On the LDG the Left KL's are out on the lower part of the deck, 4+ inches from where you have the lever on your S10. So, is mounting it like you have it awkward relative to where the existing knee levers are? And, can you mount it on that lower area under the pad or is it too tall to fit there (i.e. can you still close the case)?

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2019 8:40 am    

I see what your concern is Brian. In the pic, the plane of the lever itself is 2-7/8" off the deck. This ends up ~5/8" lower than the aprons on my S12. The original case closes fully without contacting the lever.

The aprons on a Pro II or LDG are actually ~5/8" taller than on my S12, so there is extra vertical clearance sort of built into the cabinet. On your LDG it would end up ~3/4" lower than the aprons if you mounted it on the rear deck.

Presumably your case dimensions are proportionally larger too but I don't know. You could test the "will it fit in the case" question by just finding or cutting a block or something that is 2-7/8" or 3" tall and placing it where the lever would go to see.

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2019 8:57 am    

Nice Llama Ian!

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2019 10:49 am     Wow... Now we are getting the needed discussion.

The issue is placement. On the LDG the Left KL's are mounted out on the lower deck, approx. 4+ inches from where they are on an S10. Can it be mounted on that lower area under the pad or is it too tall to fit there (i.e. can you still close the case)?

In a rough measurement on the LDG, it ends up about 3/4" taller than the front apron mounting.

The case dimensions are not proportionally larger to accommodate that.

If the tall "LAMA" vertical actuator as supplied by Micheal is used on the LDG, what mode has to be done to it to allow it to fit in the case.

Back to the original question, has anyone done this or is there another M. Y. part possibly available.

Ian, Horace is one beautiful Lama. They look so smart.
Very Happy

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2019 11:59 am    

Looks like he's ready to spit. Whoa!
Erv

Alan Bidmade

Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2019 12:20 pm    

Hi Dick - long time etc...

What you need with a VKL on a 'Bud is a split screw (or a second pull rod, The likes of which I have never quite understood). I had a VKL on an old 'Bud. which was either 'in tune' pedals up, or 'in tune' pedals down, but not both. As for a split with A pedal... forgettit!!
(Hope the bow arm is strong, and there are a few White-Tails left...)

Best to you and yours.

Nick
Ben-Rom #017 'Lorelei', Guild D25, Epiphone 'Joe Pass', Roland 40XL, Hilton VP

First name Alan, but known as Nick

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2019 12:29 pm     Nick...

Very Happy

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2019 4:18 pm     Re: Wow... Now we are getting the needed discussion.

Dick Sexton wrote:
...If the tall "LAMA" vertical actuator as supplied by Micheal is used on the LDG, what mode has to be done to it to allow it to fit in the case...

Did you try the test I suggested to Brian above? Find something around the house that is ~2-7/8" - 3" tall (the height of Michael's bracket installed), place it where you intend to mount the lever and see if the case will close. If not, you probably need a different part. It would probably be easiest to just give Michael a call. He's likely encountered this very question more than once as the geometry would be the same on any Professional/Pro II/Pro III too. Let us know what you learn.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2019 4:21 pm    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
Looks like he's ready to spit. Whoa!
Erv

he's actually singing the refrain in Dr. Feelgood. Spit is compulsory.

Brian Hollands

Geneva, FL USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2019 5:08 pm     Re: Wow... Now we are getting the needed discussion.

Ian Worley wrote:

Did you try the test I suggested to Brian above? Find something around the house that is ~2-7/8" - 3" tall (the height of Michael's bracket installed)

It'll work.
There's 2.25" clearance at the rear deck but there's also 1.25" clear above the aprons/end plates on a stock case with the top closed. About 3.5" total by my measurement.

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2019 6:08 pm     Well...

After careful measurements of the steel and case clearence, it will fit in the case. With about a 32 in. to spare. I consider that tight, real tight. Took a couple of pics of where we are at this point. The straight edge is 1 1/8" wide, the vertical lever is even with the straight edge leaving only the lever adjustment locking nut above that. That said, it will go in the case.

Jay Cann

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2019 4:41 am    

Here are some pics of mine using Michael Yahl's LKV bracket. Yes, it fits in the case. Hope you find these helpful.

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2019 5:03 am     Jay, Yes..

Excellent pictures and just what I was looking for. I was headed in another direction, but need more parts anyway, so your pics and installation give me more options. Looks like I installed the lever just about where you have yours. Thank you, Sir!

Brian Hollands

Geneva, FL USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2019 5:44 am    

Yes, great pictures. Thanks

Jay Cann

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2019 6:24 pm    

You’re welcome guys. I got a lot of help from pics on this forum when I was getting this guitar back in shape so I’m happy to pay it forward when I can!