The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stock Steel Amplifiers
Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2019 11:54 am    

I've been reading this Forum since its inception and I have come to believe that as we grow as musicians, we have a tendency to search for that "something better", only to return to the original configuration/sound that was supposed to be in the first place.

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2019 12:10 pm    

Agreed.
Please rebuild exact copies of the original Session 400 and LTD!
I couldn't resist poking at you....but I'm serious.

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2019 12:38 pm    

Mike,
All the years I’ve experimented with amps, I always come back to the Peavey.

The great sounds and tones I came to love from Emmons, Rugg , Day, Chalker, Green, Garrish, Myrick and tons of others.

It’s hard to beat the tone, power, quality, bang for buck and service.

Ron Hogan
Nashville, tn

Last edited by Ron Hogan on 17 Jul 2019 5:03 am; edited 1 time in total

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2019 12:46 pm    

Make a "head only" Version of the Session 500. Best steel amp Peavey has ever made in my opinion.

Mike Brown

Post  Posted 16 Jul 2019 1:14 pm     Exact Copies?

Is there such a thing? We have been asked this for years and years(when reintroducing a product under same model name)..................and if that was possible, we probably would! But, here's the catch. Hartley did actually agree to reintroduce the Session 400 with the introduction of the Session 400 Limited. But, by the time we "introduced it", most of the original parts were not being made anymore and technology has advance threefold! That's why we can get "close" to the original sound of one of our earlier models, but no prize.

Peavey would rather seek out or create new methods in production to efficiently design and manufacture new products. Don't always "redo" what has already been done..............like some of our competitors.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2019 1:15 pm    

Doug Earnest wrote:
Agreed.
Please rebuild exact copies of the original Session 400 and LTD!

I second that emotion.

Mike Brown

Post  Posted 16 Jul 2019 1:15 pm     See reply above........................

:)

Jack Goodson

new brockton,alabama (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2019 3:51 pm     peavey amps?

here is my opinion on peavey amps, just make sure you have plenty of the good ones on hand and keep them serviced, this way you will have a new amp anytime you wish. i have a session 2000 in meridian now, and when i get it back i am sending my session 500 (short cabinet) to be modded and serviced, it is a lot cheaper than buying new amps plus you always know what you got. that is why i have a dozen peavey steel guitar amps....thanks jack

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2019 4:35 pm     Re: peavey amps?

Jack Goodson wrote:
here is my opinion on peavey amps, just make sure you have plenty of the good ones on hand and keep them serviced, this way you will have a new amp anytime you wish. i have a session 2000 in meridian now, and when i get it back i am sending my session 500 (short cabinet) to be modded and serviced, it is a lot cheaper than buying new amps plus you always know what you got. that is why i have a dozen peavey steel guitar amps....thanks jack

What Jack said. I sent my special 130 to peavey and did a outstanding work.well worth the wait and price. I am going to send another special down for repair. Best think I have ever done
P.w

Gary Watkins

Bristol, VA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2019 5:32 pm    

A friend of mine just traded a brand new Nashville 112 for an older Session 400 Limited because he said it sounded better. I guess those older Peavey amps are going to start going up in price.

Earl Briggs

Lancaster tx
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2019 11:45 pm     stock steel amps

i've been playing 45 years,used several brands of amps over the years bought a new nashville 112 about a year ago found the tone i wanted took about 2 days liked it so much bought another one a month later.they are very good amps and both are stock like em a lot.....

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2019 11:56 pm     Re: Exact Copies?

Mike Brown wrote:
Is there such a thing? We have been asked this for years and years(when reintroducing a product under same model name)..................and if that was possible, we probably would!
Peavey would rather seek out or create new methods in production to efficiently design and manufacture new products. Don't always "redo" what has already been done..............like some of our competitors.

agreed, kinda like the other major brand where there are reissues of the older amps but they are not even close in design and build , but they LOOK exactly the same. Don't get me wrong, they are not bad , they are modern versions of amps from decades ago that look the same but are NOT the same. PV is wise to not do that.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Randall Palmore

Albany,TX USA 76430
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2019 7:02 pm     Peavey amp

Mike- The first steel guitar amp I purchased in 1979 was a Ltd 400. I have had numerous amps.. I back with an Ltd 400, straight onboard reverb and love it!! Thanks RP

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2019 5:34 pm    

Had the same conversation with Billy Knowles and Roger Howard a few days ago. We keep searching for "that sound". That sound is the session 400. Peavey has always known what a steel guitar should sound like. I own three Sessions 400s and two NV 112s. My old bones like for me to take the NV112 when I play out.

Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2019 4:51 am    

I, too, have been playing a long time. My first steel amp was a NV400 and then I did the stereo-thing with 2 of them for many years. I still use NV400’s, a 112, and, yes, some Sarno rig setups.

But the thing is I know that my Peaveys will always deliver. Geez, the number of gigs played all those years using them! They took the hard use every night, travelled to the next gig in trailers where temps went from way below zero to way over 100 degrees, and still they kept up. And today if a quick gig comes up I often still throw a NV400 (or 112) in the car along with a steel and seat and I’m off to the races.

I’m forever grateful to Peavey for backing steel players even when, I know, it’s not the most profitable of commitments. No one will ever find me talking badly about them.

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2019 9:44 am    

Playing out with the Peavey MiniMax amp.

CLICK ME

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2019 10:09 am    

Quote:
agreed, kinda like the other major brand where there are reissues of the older amps but they are not even close in design and build , but they LOOK exactly the same. Don't get me wrong, they are not bad , they are modern versions of amps from decades ago that look the same but are NOT the same. PV is wise to not do that.

It's because they sound so doggone good. Sometimes it's hard to improve on something that's perfect. They try to cut corners in production, which is understandable from a business standpoint, and they will convince themselves that it is better, but the market for original equipment will prove them wrong usually.

Then again, younger players seem more open to newer ideas.

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2019 4:03 pm    

Fender is a prime example of what happens when you try to "Reissue" an amplifier for instance. But with all fairness to Fender, i recently played through a Deluxe Reverb reissue that surprisingly sounded very good to me, comparing it to my own original 65 Fender Deluxe. Still not the same. HOWEVER....with that being said. My motto is, if it's not broke, guys love the sound of it, you leave it to hell alone. The only similarities the new Session 500 has with it's popular predecessor, is the name and silver trim on each side. To me, peavey is reaching a bit, in calling it The Session 500. Not a reissue is it? Never could figure out why after these many years, peavey would decide to call this model a Session 500?

Quote:

In lies the inherent problem. Steel guitar isn't changing, but modern amplifier production "methods" and standards of efficiency are. Thank goodness steel guitar is starting to change, with today's new energetic players like Robert Randolph, who puts new demands on older tried and true steel guitar amplifiers. Along with new music styles and players, come new innovations, and player demands. I can't wait to hear what the new jazz, and young rock steel players are playing, i love it. Also holds true with our Sacred Steel players. It's just my wish that peavey actually stays on top of their game, the same way they were when the Session 400, 500, and Nashville 400, LTD, were created. And apparently peavey is. With the new creation of the Peavey Robert Randolph Signature Amplifier. A big round of applause to the Peavey folks. It once again shows to me, that peavey does indeed have the up and coming young steel guitarist in mind. Thank You Peavey for your insight.

It's not really a matter of:
Quote:
always "redo" what has already been done..............like some of our competitors.

A company wants the competitive edge, always. And sometimes that quest comes down to of course money. China with it's manufacturing, production cost cuts, allows peavey to stay competitive. Is it in peavey's best financial interest to reintroduce an exact Session 400, 500, or Nashville 400, knowing the tremendous increase in production and manufacturing cost? Nope.

Just a fun fact. In contrast Peavey just celebrated it's 20 year anniversary of producing the Legendary 6505 amplifier. An amplifier i have played both guitar, and steel through. I absolutely love this amplifier. It's still around, still built basically the same way it was 20 years ago. Although peavey has introduced several variations of it. Peavey has also throughout the years even incorporated player mods into it's production. And of course we all know why the 6505 is still around and the Session 400 isn't.... now don't we?

https://peavey.com/news/article.cfm/action/view/id/640/cat/1

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2019 12:29 pm     Stock steel guitar amps

There is a copy of a 1970 Session 400, it's called Stereo Steel. This was related to me by GD Walker himself at his booth at the Dallas show in 2016. I have the Stereo Steel and think it's great. So my comments on other posts saying Peavey is not for me, I wish to ammend. I also liked the Session 500.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2019 7:24 am    

The LTD 400 has always done it for me. I have had the Session 500, Session 400 & Session 400 Limited, Nashville 400 and they all sounded good but the LTD 400 is such an all around good package. I have two of them now. Recently brought a Peavey Artist VT and what a great surprise that was. Four 6L6 power tubes. Sounds very much like you know what kind of other tube amp. I like it. Thanks, J.R. Rose

Mike Marsh

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2019 10:42 am     Respect the Tube Amp!

More and more, the best steel players in the Business are using Tube amps for recording and performing!
Just saying, and I have a house full of Peavey's Nashville Sessions etc..
2cents,
Mike

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2019 1:12 pm    

I had a great amp since 1977, one of the original all-tube Music Man 2120HDs. Serial # something or other 399.

But it weighed over 70 pounds, and I'm too old to carry it around anymore. I sold it to a younger player and bought a Quilter Steelaire. It sounds different, but just as good, now that I've found the settings I like. And at 33 pounds, it doesn't kill my back.

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2019 1:23 am    

I wish this forum had a "like" button....lol

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2019 7:14 am    

One big reason so many of us love the old (and not so old) Peaveys, other than that they can deliver good steel tone, is that they are built so well we know we can count on them all these years later. My NV112 is nearly 20 years old, has had countless hours of use and is still chugging along perfectly. And all the much older Session 400, Nashville 400, LTD400, etc. that I've had were all so nicely built, solid, road-rugged, easily serviced/maintained. The good ol Peaveys were built to last. I always appreciate that built quality, that ethic Hartley put into his classic designs.

B

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2019 8:54 am    

Steel players, in general, like clean, distortionless power. I suspect that's one of the reasons they've been so popular for us. They're also relatively maintenance-free for many, many years...and that's probably helped, too!