The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fretboard Roadmaps Book
Jim Graham

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2019 3:10 am    

Anyone here used the Fretboard Roadmaps - Lap Steel Guitar instruction book? I've reached a point where I want to learn more but I'm not sure this is a good way to go. It probably is but would like to hear from anyone that has used this book.

David Knutson

Cowichan Valley, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2019 8:29 am    

I'm not familiar with this book, but I've seen some of Fred Sokolow's other books and he certainly knows how to present his material well.
I just had a look on Amazon, and their "look inside" link gives quite a bit of the first part of the book - probably enough to show if it's the right book for you or not. He seems to concentrate mostly on G and D tunings, with smaller sections on E7 and C6. Good luck. Have fun.

Brad Richard

Chisago City, Minnesota
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2019 10:09 am    

I bought it a couple of years ago for dobro open G. Didn't even realize it's a lap steel book (even the cover picture didn't sink in. DOH!). I've now been using it for C6 LS and like it. The songs are tabbed out for more of a beginner like me and are accurate. Along with the tracks, I think it works well.

I don't know that I would call this a raw beginner's book, but there is a lot of info. I think he assumes a basic grasp of music theory. I found many of his diagrams kind of confusing (maybe just me), but I've gotten plenty out of it. One thing he doesn't pay much, if any, attention to is muting. There are plenty of muting resources available elsewhere, though.

Overall, I don't regret buying it.

Jim Graham

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2019 2:26 pm    

Thanks for the replies, I'm going to order it. I've been working with some online resources and getting a handle on blocking for a few months. I have lots of theory knowledge, I hold grade 5 certification on classical guitar from RCM and more years experience than I'm willing to admit. I've also recently taken up banjo.