The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lap steel leg socket removal?
Kristen Bruno

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2019 10:35 am    

I have a small 3 legged lap steel (I suppose you would call it a "console"). One of the legs is a little jiggly. The leg screws into the socket tightly, but its the socket in the wood that is a little jiggly. Looking for advice on removing the socket without damage and see what i can do to make sure it seats back tightly again.
Thanks

K

Keith Glendinning

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2019 11:01 am    

To state the obvious, are the screws holding the socket loose? If so, just tighten them. If not, remove the socket and use a good adhesive, "Gorilla or Superglue" should do it, and ensure that the fixing screws are then securely tight. If the screws won't tighten properly, maybe fit the next bigger size.

Kristen Bruno

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2019 11:09 am    

The leg is screwed in tightly to the socket. No slack between leg screw and socket. I need to remove the socket. I don't want to chisel it out. Was wondering if there is a tool or certain trick to removing it.There are no visible screws to loosen. The socket is "in there" somehow. Probably glued.

Thanks
K

Keith Glendinning

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2019 11:15 am    

If the socket is glued in, then maybe applying some heat will soften the glue. Then with the leg in place you could try to move it. A soldering iron, or even steam could be used to heat the socket.

David Venzke

SE Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2019 12:22 pm    

A photo would be helpful. Also, who is the maker of your guitar?

Kristen Bruno

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2019 6:59 pm    

Its a Carvin. I found a picture of an exact look-alike of mine on the forum. Here is the link.
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=156790

K

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2019 1:58 am    

Kristen Bruno wrote:
Its a Carvin. I found a picture of an exact look-alike of mine on the forum. Here is the link.
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=156790

K

Still no picture of the leg socket. That's what we need to see.

Kristen Bruno

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2019 4:07 am    

Hopefully this will upload.
Anyway, good news and bad news. I tried another leg in the socket. No jiggle with a different leg. The "jiggly" leg in question was put in another socket and it jiggled in that socket. So the problem is in the screw thread at the end of the leg. Not the socket. This piece at the end of the leg with the screw threads needs to be replaced. In the pic you can see my finger pointing toward the piece at the end of the leg. Any suggestions on how to replace this part?

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2019 6:24 am    

I would just remove the plug and goop it down with something like JB Weld and put it back in again.
Erv

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2019 7:54 am    

If the plug itself is loose, then I would do what Erv suggests. (Easier said than done with some of those crimped plugs). It looks to me though, like the threads on the plug are stripped so they're loose in the socket. I don't know what you can do besides having a new plug machined. Perhaps you could have the socket drilled and tapped for the more standard 1/2" x 13 thread and just buy a new leg from Mark Roeder.

I believe that the threads on your leg are 3/8"-16 - the same as some Gibson, Rickenbacker and perhaps National consoles. Maybe we can talk one of the leg manufacturers into making a leg with that size plug.

Kristen Bruno

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2019 8:08 am    

Ok. Thanks. I am gonna take a trip to the hardware store and see what I can rig up.

Thanks
K

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2019 10:34 am    

Kristen,
I just spoke with Mark Roeder of DeLuxe 34 Stands. He has the parts to make up 3/8"-16 legs. $35 each + shipping. Definitely worth it compared to the time and frustration of fabricating something and your nice little Carvin guitar is certainly worth the small investment. One leg will be a little mismatched but you can put that one in the middle. Very Happy Your best bet would be to call the number on his website. I've got no affiliation but he has a well-deserved excellent reputation.

https://www.deluxe34.com/index.html