The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  recommendation for first acoustic steel
Will Slack

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2019 8:27 pm    

I've been playing 8 string electric for a couple years now, and I love it. My only gripe is that even with my small, portable single necks, I can't just play on a porch or have a simple roadtrip setup. I know I could get a portable amp, but that's an added hassle, and sometimes it's just not right for the mood--no one wants your amp around the campfire.

So, I'm thinking I might pick up a 6 string squareneck resonator of some sort, but I don't know where to start. I play hawaiian and western swing, so I'd love an old tricone, but if the whole point is porch-worthy beater, I don't want an antique. I also worry about the weight of a metal body, but I've never actually picked one up.

Dobro style resonators seem much more common. It's not quite the instrument for what I play, but could it still fit the bill? I'm aware of current brands like Republic and Regal, and I'll try to get out and play a few. Where should I start? Are the more affordable tricones decent sounding?

On another note, I've seen 1930's National Tricones going in the $3k range, but I've also seen a number of 90's and post 2000 nationals going for that much. This confuses me--I would assume the vintage models would sell for more. Either way, I won't be spending that much.

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2019 2:23 am    

I'll caveat this with, my experience with resonators is limited and your mileage may vary, but the Republic squareneck tricone gets my vote. You could also consider, for a bit more money, the 8 string Gold Tone PBS-8, but my thinking on that is, the scenario you describe is one where the low 7th and 8th strings are less useful...they won't project very well acoustically, sitting around a campfire, and odds are most of your playing will be on the higher strings.

The Republic gets lots of positive comments on its tone...I'm quite happy with it...it's fun to play the Hawaiian marches on. Here's one I recorded Wednesday with my teacher's backing track, as a caveat I just used a USB mic, nothing fancy:
https://soundcloud.com/nicneufeld/hilomarchtricone135

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2019 10:36 am     Re: recommendation for first acoustic steel

Will Slack wrote:

So, I'm thinking I might pick up a 6 string squareneck resonator of some sort, but I don't know where to start. I play hawaiian and western swing, so I'd love an old tricone, but if the whole point is porch-worthy beater,

How much of a beater do you want?

You can find acoustic guitars with warped necks, stick a raised nut on them, a flat bridge saddle, and you have a cheapo beater steel guitar.

Yeah, it'a not a resonator, but it's for the porch, backyards, campfires and the beach, right?

And its a lot like the very first Hawaiian steel guitars.

David Knutson

Cowichan Valley, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2019 11:46 am    

I've played a couple of the Republic Tri-cones in shops and been very impressed. And I love my Gold Tone PBS 8, although Hawaiian is not really its strong suit (in my hands, anyway).
There's also a lot of merit in David Brown's suggestion. I picked up an old cedar top Yamaha for $50 at a garage sale, did the raised nut/flat saddle thing, and it is one of my favourites. Just be careful not to go too heavy on string gauge if you try that route.

David Venzke

SE Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2019 4:48 pm     Re: recommendation for first acoustic steel

+1 on what the other David said ...

In fact, I have a Chinese Dreadnought knockoff that I put a raised nut on and replaced the bridge saddle and I'm thinking of selling it. If you'd be interested in something like that for less than $100 (plus shipping) send me a PM.

David M Brown wrote:

How much of a beater do you want?

You can find acoustic guitars with warped necks, stick a raised nut on them, a flat bridge saddle, and you have a cheapo beater steel guitar.

Yeah, it'a not a resonator, but it's for the porch, backyards, campfires and the beach, right?

And its a lot like the very first Hawaiian steel guitars.

Will Slack

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2019 9:40 am    

Thanks for the input, everyone. I didn't think about converting a cheap acoustic. I actually have one I may try that with, but thanks for the offer, David.

Nic, your republic sounds good, but their website doesn't have much info. I can't tell if they sell square necks any more. The only thing I see coming up is a past sale or two on Reverb. Any idea if they still make them?

How is the weight of the republic tricone for carrying around? I'm wondering if that might be a factor that makes me look to a dobro--im guessing they're lighter. I know it wouldn't sound as good for Hawaiian, but there's a video of Jerry Byrd playing a dobro style resonator with Marty Robbins, and it seems to get there sound wise.

Are there any significant tuning limitations with squarenecks with regards to string tension? I mostly play A6, so I'm thinking I might try A high bass on the 6 string.

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2019 8:44 am    

Like you I have about zero practical experience with resonators, but I needed to get one for an upcoming all acoustic gig. I play mostly western swing, a couple Hawaiian tunes and a couple of Santo and Johnny tunes. I found this Recording King RM 991-S tricone w/case on Craigslist for 5 bills. It's Chinese made, but sounds fine to my unsophisticated ear and seems well built. No buzzes. I also see what looks like the same model branded as Regal. I would have preferred an American made Republic but they were significantly more and I didn't want to spend a lot until I got my feet wet. At any rate I think this is a very suitable entry level instrument and one to consider. They seem to run $500- $650 used. For the new price of $850 you can get a new Republic square neck tricone (about $800 I think). Republic does sell square necks but they don't list them on their website. You have to call or email them.

My Recording King is chrome plated brass and weighs in at about 10 lbs though it feels heavier! I strung it up in my familiar C6 with an E on top. No time to learn a new tuning - maybe after the gig I'll try a more traditional tricone tuning.

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2019 2:47 pm    

Will Slack wrote:

Nic, your republic sounds good, but their website doesn't have much info. I can't tell if they sell square necks any more. The only thing I see coming up is a past sale or two on Reverb. Any idea if they still make them?

How is the weight of the republic tricone for carrying around? I'm wondering if that might be a factor that makes me look to a dobro--im guessing they're lighter. I know it wouldn't sound as good for Hawaiian, but there's a video of Jerry Byrd playing a dobro style resonator with Marty Robbins, and it seems to get there sound wise.

Are there any significant tuning limitations with squarenecks with regards to string tension? I mostly play A6, so I'm thinking I might try A high bass on the 6 string.

Yeah, I'd contact them directly, maybe they can point you at a dealer or sell direct...

As for weight, its not too bad. Heavier than a wood body, but the case (which is interesting) is basically a durable foam based (with cloth outside). It sounds chintzier than it is, it is quite effective and decently made I think, and the light weight counterbalances the bit of extra weight of the guitar.

As far as tunings, it's an ongoing debate but in my opinion it will support whatever tuning you want as long as you select strings/gauges accordingly. The key is getting the right tension, not a specific tuning. So mine is in C6, high E. A6 shouldn't be a problem (if A6 high G, then you'll likely want a similar set to C6, maybe with some gauge tweaks). The obvious thing to avoid is buying a set of Dobro strings for Open G and trying to crank them up to C6 or A6! Sproing! Smile

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2019 7:15 am    

+1 for PBS8... I got a gig bag for mine, I keep it in E13... great for swing at acoustic jams! Fits well on the Harley too.

Will Slack

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2019 8:09 pm    

Thanks again for the info. I need to get out and try some guitars. I know I'd love to play a tricone, but I think a lighter dobro (or acoustic conversion) may be better for travel.

Jim Lay

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2019 3:46 am    

You might like Gold Tone's PBKG, a square neck acoustic guitar. They discontinued it several years ago but pop up every now and then.

Jim Lay

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2019 5:17 am    

Another one to consider is a vintage Oahu squareneck acoustic. These are really pretty nice, even though they were originally sold as student guitars. They usually have some bridge pull up issues. I used a Bridge Doctor on mine to tame the string tension issues. They tune up nice in open D or open E and have a mellow bluesy sound.