Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2019 1:39 pm    

Is?

Phone: 971-219-8533

David Decker

Canton, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2019 2:32 pm    

I seen the band last fall, didn't have a steel player.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2019 6:18 pm    

I don't believe they have ever had a steel guitar in the band. None of the times I have seen them, have they had one.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2019 6:48 pm    

Yeah why would a "Rock&Roll" band have a Steel Guitar player??
Ricky

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2019 6:28 am    

Trying to think if they ever had one on a record. Still love the band though.

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2019 9:52 am    

Ricky wrote:

Probably 15 years ago I was working with a band that opened for those guys at a big club up around Temple.

As usual, they did their soundcheck first, and were in the middle of it when I walked in. They were playing Rosanna by Toto, and killing it I might add.. LOL.. Those guys may not be country, but they ARE talented players for sure.

I will say when we got up on stage to put up our stuff, they were super nice about moving their gear back a bit and giving us some room. All in all, I thought they were cool guys.. and they rocked their show. The guitar player in particular wowed me..

Country? Not so much.

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2019 8:08 am    

They rocked it, great songs, great vocals.

Phone: 971-219-8533

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2019 11:52 am    

Restless Heart never carried a steel player-the members are, Larry Stewart-lead vocals/guitar, Greg Jennings-vocals, lead guitar, Dave Innis-vocals, keyboards, Paul Gregg-vocals, bass, and John Dittrich-vocals, drums. However, a few years back when they played the Opry, Tommy White added some steel to two of their songs, but in their live shows while touring or in videos, there is no steel to be seen or heard, but they're still a great band-one of my favorites! A year or two ago, Ricochet lead singer Heath Wright filled in for Larry Stewart as lead vocalist, and then when Greg Jennings couldn't play lead guitar, Heath Wright filled in as lead guitarist. In the 90s, Restless Heart lead singer Larry Stewart did a solo record, which featured Bruce Bouton, Paul Franklin, and Dan Dugmore all playing steel, but Restless Heart switched lead singers between drummer John Dittrich and bass player Paul Gregg until Larry rejoined the band on lead vocals.

Last edited by Brett Day on 17 Jul 2019 10:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2019 3:52 pm    

I personally never cared for them. Usually no steel is a group I did not really care for. There have been very few that did not carry a steel I enjoyed listening to. Restless Heart did their music well it just wasn't for me.

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2019 7:40 pm    

Quote:
Ricky

Hey Ricky, Dire Straits found a use for one, remember? It worked great too! But I hear what you're saying.

Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2019 7:33 am    

I always thought they were a very good group. I have most of their recordings and find that a steel does indeed fit about 99% of the tracks. It's fun music to play along with, give it a try.

Robert

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2019 7:52 am    

Yes Bill I know; but having a steel guitar in one Rock Band out of 1000 rock bands; doesn't make it a possibility that there will be one in any rock band you hear...

Michael Hartz

Decorah, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2019 10:40 am    

Our band is opening for them here in eastern Iowa in November and I’m stoked. Several years ago the lead singer in my old band band was approached about putting on and booking all the acts for the first Country On The River Festival on the island in Prairie Du Chien,WI. He knew I was a huge Restless Heart fan and booked them for Saturday afternoon. I noticed that every other act that day including the headliners were standing around the side of the stage watching their set. These guys are such great musicians and vocalists to command that kind of respect from their peers speaks volumes about them and their longevity. So even though they aren’t country in the traditional sense, I grew up with them and everyone one of their songs reminds me of an important part of my past.

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2019 5:31 pm    

I never considered Restless Heart a rock and roll band. I do consider them one heck of a band. There are so called Country bands that wish they had the musical and vocal ability Restless Heart does.

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2019 12:22 pm    

Quote:
Yes Bill I know; but having a steel guitar in one Rock Band out of 1000 rock bands; doesn't make it a possibility that there will be one in any rock band you hear...

Very true Ricky. It's a pity our instrument hasn't made more inroads in other musical genres. It works well for rock and jazz etc but you don't see it much. I think there are two big factors: the cost of the equipment and the scarcity of mentors to get young people into it. If every garden variety music store had a couple sub-one thousand dollar pedal steel guitars on display and pro players demoing them on Saturday afternoons, I think the popularity would take off. I often get kids coming up to ask about my guitar, but basically there's no follow-up because there's no access for them.