The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  1958 Gretsch Anniversary SOLD please close
Howard Steinberg

St. Petersburg, Florida , USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2019 4:12 am    

This is a Gretsch single anniversary that was in with the collection of 67 non-pedal steels.
It is the only armpit guitar in the collection. I am assisting my friend with selling some of the collection.

The guitar has a patent applied for Filtertron pickup and an ebony fretboard. These 2 factors and the serial number date it to 1958.

The good: The guitar has a very solid neck joint. It has a chunky neck and there is no detectable (at least by me) twisting or warping. It plays very well. With some attention to a couple of high frets, the action could be extremely low. I believe that it has had a re-fret as there is no fret wear to speak of. It also has what I believe to be an original Bigsby vibrato. The binding is in excellent condition. Strap buttons are original. It comes with a decent (non Gretsch) hard case. Pickup is strong and it sounds really good.

The not so good: The guitar has been non-professionally refinished. It appears to have been stained and coated with polyurethane. It's not horrible, by any means, but it seriously diminishes the value of the guitar. Bridge is not original and not a good choice. A Compton bridge would be a great alternative. The bridge base may be original which will make for an easy change over. The one volume knob is from a later era (Baldwin). Pick guard is from a later era. Tuners were changed out to Grover Super Rotomatics (the ones with the fancy buttons).

The guitar is perfectly functional . It is an opportunity to own a vintage Gretsch, which is very playable, without needing to take out a second mortgage. Asking price is $900. Shipping will be actual cost. Apologies for the incorrectly oriented photos.

Picture file

Last edited by Howard Steinberg on 2 Dec 2019 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nick Koff

Lost Angeles, California
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2019 11:29 am    

PM sent

Howard Steinberg

St. Petersburg, Florida , USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2019 4:07 am    

Hey Nick - please check your pm’s and/or email. I seem to be having some difficulty with pm’s being delivered. Howard

Nick Koff

Lost Angeles, California
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2019 10:59 am    

Hi Howard. Money sent.