The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Weird tuning/copedent + LKL problems
Matt Pleasant

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2019 3:44 am    

Hi! I'm new to the forum, but already enjoying it. I recently upgraded to a BMI s-10 (through this forum!) And now I have some questions.
The short version is this: My LKL (which raises the E's to F's) is sticking. When I release the lever, the string remains raised. This is probably an easy fix, but let me first give you the caveats:
First off, I use a heavier gauge (.048) on my 10th string, due to the tuning that I prefer. The rest of my strings are standard gauges for pedal steel.
Next, I moved my RKL from the 2nd string to the 6th string (so that it lowers my g#to g)
In the future, I'd like to add a second rod to pull my 3rd string (the other g#) down a half step as well. But, for now, let's take one issue at a time!
Is it possible/likely that these tuning/gauge/copedent changes are the source of my problem with the seemingly unrelated LKL sticking?
Any thoughts would help! Thanks!
-Matt

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2019 6:43 am    

The sticking problem would be a physical problem, not string gauges. Something is binding. Lubricate it and see if there is any binding anywhere. How gunked up is the undercarriage?

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2019 6:52 am    

A few diagnostic questions:

-- does the 4th string behave properly with the C pedal movement?
-- do the 4th & 8th strings behave properly with the E>D# lower lever?
-- if you loosen the nylon tuning nut on the F lever on the 4th & 8th strings until they no longer raise the strings, does the lever itself move freely?

Matt Pleasant

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2019 7:09 am    

Thanks! It's pretty clean under there, but after reading your reply something occurred to me. When I moved the rod from the 2nd string to the sixth, I may have crowded up the spacing underneath. Everything seemed to work smoothly when it was upside down in the case, but when I turned it right side up maybe the g# rod and the E rods got in each other's way more. Does that seem plausible?
If so would moving the g# rod up or down hopefully relieve some crowding?
Thanks so much for the response! I'll check this out and post the results.
-Matt

Matt Pleasant

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2019 7:12 am    

Jon-
The answer to the first two questions is Yes. All other pedals/levers seem to be unaffected. As for the third question I'll have to try it out and let you know.
Thanks for the help!
-Matt

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2019 7:16 am    

other stuff:

One quirk of the BMI is that the rod needs to go through the changer hole to the endplate hole fairly straight. This often requires bending the rod to achieve the straight line. Things can really bind up if there is too much angle between the changer hole and the endplate hole.

Also be sure that the nylon tuner, when being pulled by the lever, does not get pulled inside the endplate hole and get hung up on the inside of the endplate. If so, you will need a spacer to extend the nylon nut farther out.

Matt Pleasant

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2019 7:22 am    

So helpful. Thank you!

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2019 2:39 pm    

Just a tip:

Stand the guitar on the end. (Put a towel on a table and place the guitar so that the tuning keyhead is down.) Then you can pick strings, work the pedals and levers with your hand, and actually watch what's going on. Cool

Matt Pleasant

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2019 3:22 pm    

Thanks for the tip about standing it on end. That's a great idea!

Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2019 5:00 am    

Matt Pleasant wrote:
Thanks for the tip about standing it on end. That's a great idea!

If you're going to do much work on a pedal steel, you'll be happier if you get one of these workstands!

https://www.steelguitarshopper.com/pedal-steel-workstand/

--Al Evans