The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Want to buy a small Amp or Preamp—suggestions??
Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2019 1:12 pm    

I want to downsize from a Rack preamp to something smaller. I borrowed a Trace Elliott Elf and I’m pretty happy with it for the 2 shows I used it. And heck, it will fit in my seat. My one concern is that it gets very hot. (See pic below.)

Are there other small AMPS with Direct XLR outputs or Preamps that have proven to be worthy for pedal steel TONE SHAPING?

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 30 Jun 2019 6:23 pm    

Based upon reading through several posts I have the following possibilities thus far:

-GK, MB200 or MB500(is the Contour Knob on the MB500 needed vs the Contour Toggle Switch on the MB200 to scoop the Mids?

-Peavey MiniMax (Mids are scooped at 600Hz)

-Milkman “The Amp”

-Carvin BX500

-Sarno Octal V8

-Ethos Clean

I’m strictly looking for something to use with our In-Ear system...no speakers involved.

Any other product I should be considering?

Thanks for any feedback.

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Tom Dillon

La Mesa, California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2019 7:50 pm    

The new Quilter Tone Block 202 looks good.
https://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/product/tone-block-202-head

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2019 5:30 am    

While I have a GK MB200, nice amp, for small and compact I have been using the 4 pound 50 watt DV Mark 50 . has an excellent EQ profile and has on board reverb . This is actually a guitar amp rather than a Bass amp. A few others use this and others use the 250 watt model.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Derrick Unger

Newark Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2019 11:36 pm     Marty

Marty...definitely should give some of the Quilter products a look-see....
Music is good for the soul..playing it is even better! Gretsch6strLapSteel*PeaveyNashville400*HudsonSD-10*DigitechRP360*FenderChampion100*PeaveyKB300*Goodrich120*Behringerx1204*BehringerMini4*Mullen S10"Discovery"*Peavey Vegas400*Princeton112plus*SuperChampX2*SidekickReverb65*Rumble100*MarshallMG50DFX*Nashville112

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2019 7:48 am    

Marty, I recently experimented with the Peavey MiniMax. I really like it and have played out with it about half a dozen times. Light weight, plenty of power and I've been able to get the tone I want. It doesn't get hot at all.

Click Demo

Click PEAVEY page

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2019 7:51 am    

Marty, I did have the Carvin for about a year and liked it, but like the Peavey better.

Ron

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2019 8:13 am    

I have a DV Mark combo amp (the "Little Jazz") and I'm very happy with its tone shaping capabilities. The digital reverb isn't very good, though. Anyway, I expect that the head only version would suit you. Weight: 4.19 lbs.

http://www.dvmark.it/product-detail/dv-micro-50-jazz/

<center>

</center>

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2019 8:51 am    

I use the V8 and a Milkman "The Amp". Both are amazing sounding. I mainly use the V8 as a pre amp in for recording direct. I have also used it for in ear situations. It kinda freaked me out. It sounds REALLY good. Like mastering level ridiculous good.

"The Amp" sounds fantastic also. I look at it as a swiss army knife/secret weapon that I can use to make sure I get tone I love in any situation. Touring Europe, just plug it in. Need to play through a coffee shop stereo system... no worries. Headphone out, great reverb and a surprisingly useful tremolo. I use it to bypass the preamps or power amps in backline amps I'm not thrilled with.

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2019 9:21 am    

I vote Quilter. The Tone Block series is great. The Aviator is no longer made but I have used the Aviator 8 in a loud modern country band using it’s excellent XLR out and in-ears. Every sound man I have worked with loved that setup. You can probably find a used combo or just the head. You don’t need to hook speakers up to it if you want to just go direct.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 3 Jul 2019 9:23 am    

Folks,
Thank you for your respective posts. I’ve talked with Mike Brown at Peavey and emailed several of the manufactures above after extensively reading their manuals.

I wish I had people around me who own these devices so I could ask to try them. Otherwise I’m forced to utilize the return programs with the various equipment outlets. I really HATE doing that. It doesn’t feel right and it devours time.

Thanks again for your input.

Best regards,

Lyle Dent

Little Rock ,Arkansas
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2019 9:56 am     Small setup

Marty, this is Steve Palousek's rig. M1-XL processor. Jay Genz 500 watt class D amp and a special Sarno V8 Octal with a JBL speaker. I give him a call. I think a Strymon El Capistan in front would lighten it even more.

Bill Burch

California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2019 10:38 am    

Hi Marty,

I took Bob's advice and purchased one of these Tech 21 Q-Strip preamp/EG combo units. It's very high quality, has very flexible dual mid controls, XLR out for house feed, etc.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/QStrip--tech-21-q-strip-eq-and-preamp-pedal

I'm very pleased with it so far. I'm using it with a Matchbox buffer, Hilton volume pedal, TC Electronics HOF reverb, and a Keeley Mag Echo delay.

Bill

Marc Jenkins

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2019 11:13 am    

Another up for The Amp from Milkman. You want a preamp or an amp - why not buy one that does both!

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2019 12:34 pm    

The Tech21 Q-Strip is great if you're always going into a board. I also use it in my effects board to change tones, when I want more twang for a Buck Owens tune (for example).

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 3 Jul 2019 6:15 pm    

Tom/Derrick,
I talked to the Quilter folks and they say that several people who were playing Steelaires are going to the 202. Hmmmmm....

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 3 Jul 2019 6:31 pm    

I’ve researched as much as I can about the DV Mark products but can’t find any info on what frequencies their controls are manipulating....

Why can’t we have a room full of these devices to try?🤫🤫🤫

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 3 Jul 2019 6:38 pm    

Btw, the Tech21 Q and the Empress Para seem to be world-class devices. Looking at their manuals now.

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2019 7:53 pm     Great little 50 watt Nu-Tube amp

Paul McEvoy

Baltimore, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2019 6:05 am    

Just wondering as a neophyte why you aren't interested in The Amp by Milkman? I will probably buy one but just wondering what it doesn't do that you'd want it to do.

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 4 Jul 2019 6:11 am    

Paul,
It’s listed as a contender in one of my earlier posts. I want to explore the possibilities....

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2019 8:04 am    

Dave Zirbel brought The Amp (Milkman) to my house a few months ago to try it with a Sho~Bud I had here. I forget what speaker he used, but the overall tone was just awesome.

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2019 8:28 am    

I heard a Quilter Tone Block 202 in person recently. It was very impressive.

Dick Chapple Sr

Hardin Montana, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2019 5:20 pm     small amps

Have you looked into the newest Evans amps, such as the one Scott Buffington has touring the country? I got to try out that touring amp(the green tolex one) and I must say it is as good and better than anything I have had the honor of trying out. And it is light. I so really need lightweights now.

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2019 9:31 pm    

I have a V8, and had a Steelaire. For sending a direct line to front of house, there's really no comparison. The V8 is a lot better. Your sound person would be psyched.