The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Delay pedal is distorting—help please
Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2019 12:59 pm    

Since we’ve gone to in-ear monitors we’ve noticed that my Boss DD-3 Delay Pedal is distorting on the “Repeat” note. I only use it to fatten things up a little so it’s set for one Repeat. If I decrease the Level enough to stop the distortion the “Repeat” note is eliminated.

A quick I-net search generated a discussion that this can be a problem with that pedal.

Could someone suggest another Delay pedal that I can purchase that won’t distort on the Repeat note?

Thank you for any help!

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Last edited by Marty Broussard on 29 Jun 2019 5:50 pm; edited 2 times in total

Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2019 4:52 pm    

I've been using this little delay a few Months know and have a friend that's using it too for a single repeat it's GREAT and Cheep under $30.00 on Flea Bay.

Good Luck
Barry

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 29 Jun 2019 5:48 pm    

Thank you for the info!

Any other suggestions for pedal or a fix for the DD3?

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2019 6:51 pm    

Neunaber is another you might want to check into they make the Wet Reverb and have several delay options some are even programable and have up to 4 delays, Choris and Reverb with 2 presets for each effect they sound great very easy to use.
Some really good you tube videos on them.

Barry

Devon Teran

Kansas City
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2019 9:20 pm    

There are lots of great options. They all depend on your price range. My favorite delay is my deluxe memory man, but those are super expensive now. I tried MXR Carbon Copy and love it for guitar, but felt it was too dark for pedal steel.

Now I mostly use a Deluxe Memory Boy. I like the tap tempo and the clean, but decaying nature of the repeats. If I was just using it for sure I would get the non tap version to save some money.

How are you powering the DD-3? It should be crystal clear. Either your unit is faulty or you’re having power supply issues. The most likely culprit is a weak battery or a power supply that isn’t supplying enough current.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2019 9:49 pm    

If your amp has an effects loop, try running the DD3 into it.

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 29 Jun 2019 10:45 pm    

Folks,
Thank you for your responses. First I’ll try disconnecting the power supply and install a fresh Duracell battery. If it clears up I’ll try a different power supply. Currently using a 1-SPOT.

Any ideas on an AC power supply to handle 4 pedals?

Thanks again!!

Marc Jenkins

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2019 11:03 pm    

Just got one of these for my steel pedal board - cleaned all my pedals up!

http://www.voodoolab.com/pedalpower_x4.htm

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2019 11:04 pm    

The Akai Headrush is a really good sounding delay for pedal steel. They're around 100 bucks.
I compared a few pedals the other day and it was my favorite for slapback. The others were Strymon El Capistan, Boss dm-2 waza, Quiet Theory Prelude, Carbon Copy.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2019 12:36 am    

The DD3's are typically a pretty good pedal with good reviews.

I would first run it alone with a battery and then with a power supply, isolate the pedal or isolate the Power Supply. First things first.

I would advise that these things don't last forever. My favorite Delay Pedal WAS the Ibanez DE7 which is very much like the DD3, it finally died. I used it non stop for 10 years. Then 10 years came to an end !

I replaced it with a very low cost Behringer Pedal, under $30 new, just to grab something fast. At the end of the day it was a waste of $30. Now it sits in the "never to be used ever again" pedal box.

I ended up purchasing a USED "WAY HUGE" (brand) Aqua Puss Analog Delay. It was around $80 used I think. It doesn't have the entire range of a DD3 or DE7, but in the 200ms to
400 ms range it's spot on. I run mine typically in the 250 to 300ms with a minimal slap.

I still keep my eye out for an Ibanez DE7, and maybe I'll grab a used one at some point.

First though, isolate the DD3 , use a Battery then the Power Supply. Find out what is causing the issue.

let us know !

t

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2019 4:50 am    

My Strymon "Brigadier' is my personal favorite, but the Hilton delay runs a very close second.

Devon Teran

Kansas City
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2019 5:09 am    

I used to use a one spot with more than 4, but it all depends on the current draw of each pedal. The dd3 draws 55mA. The 1 spot can supply 1700mA. Most dirt pedals draw around 20, but anything digital can be a lot more.
It can be that something else just isn’t playing nicely. I have a chorus pedal that really needs it’s own supply or it causes distortion in other pedals

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2019 8:55 am    

I assume that it worked at some point.
Did you change anything recently?
Add more pedals, change the order, change the power supply, etc etc etc?

What is the order of your effects and signal chain?

Does it do it on high frequencies?
Low frequencies?
All frequencies?

Does it do it for all delay times?
Only longer ones?

What does your internet investigation say with regards to fixes other users have found?

Do you have access to another DD3 that you can try/borrow?

The only thing that you csn do is to keep trying different things until nothing fixes the problem, at which point something may have gone bad in the unit.

Keep us posted.

Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2019 12:42 pm    

If you use a wall-wart, you run the risk of damaging the DD3 if you do not use the correct Factory recommended Boss PSA power supply.
I had mine mounted in the back of a Quilter, which has a 9v-out built in, and the DD3 got fried. Sad

Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2019 4:23 pm    

There are two big points on the wall warts that can get you into trouble the DD-3 and most other pedals have 9VDC the Positive + is on the outside the Ground - is on the pin if your wart is the other way your pedal can be fried.
The other is Amps or Mil. amp output if you daisy chain and your pedals amp draw add up to more than the Wall Wart this can cause strange things to happen and the pedal to fail.

Barry

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 30 Jun 2019 5:56 pm    

Folks,
Thank you for helping me consider all of the possibilities. The work starts tomorrow....

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2019 5:39 am    

any wallwart with the appropriate +/- 9v connector is acceptable. As mentioned above.

The standard is the outer sleeve is + and the inner pin is -.

If somehow they are revered, yes you will fry the 9V INPUT of the pedal, which can be repaired. I have and use several different 9V sources with various brands of pedals, like everyone else. Its the +/- connection that matters, not the brand of PS.

When you purchase a BOSS multi pedal rack with the Power Supply, they don't specify which brand of pedals you should use.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2019 6:38 am    

Boss always recommends it's own wall wart for its pedals. There have been discussions on the forum about Boss pedals and power supply issues.

Delays as mentioned, take a lot of juice as the circuitry is complex and power hungry.

Strymon makes good power supplies and the tour circuit uses these.

If you like your DD3, Analog Man does some mods.
Mike might be your guy as he does a lot of Boss repairs and tweaks.

http://analogman.com/boss.htm#dd3

http://analogman.com/dd5.htm

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2019 9:25 am    

At a recommendation from Mike Scaggs, I bought the TC Arena reverb pedal. It will run off a battery (my preferred method) and it has more than enough different reverbs to satisfy my tin ears. I think it was $99, and I'm okay with that for something I use occasionally. I'll admit that more expensive units may sound better in the studio or at home, but for playing out with a band, it does just fine. Cool