The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  No chip sockets in Chinese Nashville 112 amps
Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2019 10:19 am    

I have seen two thru the shop so far without any IC sockets for the preamp chips. These amps are not user friendly to change out chips to OPA2134PA chips

I have added chips sockets to two of the amps so far in my shop
Be aware that such an upgrade would likely void your warranty

Here is a note from a customer that I recently did the install for:

Hi Ken, thanks for the socket & chip installation. I got the amp put back together and "shrill is gone baby”. : >)
Now I have a great mid section eq without the honk.
Thanks so much for your contribution to the pedal steel guitar amp industry.

Take care and be well.

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2019 10:22 am    

Just a note. The Chinese built amps are beautifully built amps. Peavey no doubt has not let their superior product quality get away at all. 😀

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2019 4:45 pm    

Ken Fox wrote:
Just a note. The Chinese built amps are beautifully built amps. Peavey no doubt has not let their superior product quality get away at all. 😀

It's all computerized and automated nowadays. The boards are probably entirely built by SME (surface-mount equipment) which places all the components, and then solders them. It's a fully automated process; you just download the assembly program, load up the machines with reels and carriers of the correct parts and adjust the feeds. Then, you put the bare boards into the front end, and a complete, soldered and assembled board comes out the back. In most factories now, all the inspection and testing are also automated, just done on another automated line. These are amazing machines, and they're what's kept amp prices so low for over 30 years. Mr. Green

Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2019 6:25 pm    

What IC chip is in the stock NV112?

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2019 6:57 am    

4560 chip

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2019 7:11 am    

Ken: Questions about the amps that you have seen.

1) Are the components the "old fashoned" DIP and axial lead type, or are they they newer miniature surface mount?

2) Did you have any issues with the solder?
I worked on an amp once that was built overseas (China, I assume).
The solder used was supposedly a different composition and was a bear to work with.

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2019 7:53 am    

First class amp, DIP chips. No issues with soldering or de-soldering. With proper soldering equipment it is easy. With the wrong equipment it could be a disaster.

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2019 5:12 am    

bump

Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2019 7:50 pm    

How do I know if mine is Chinese? Simple as "Made in China"? (It's not here to check)

bob

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2019 2:03 am    

If its not marked as "Made in China" it will have to be physically inspected.

FWIW, if you don't like the stock sound and have a newer one without chip sockets a speaker change to the Telonics will do the job. I recently bought a used NV112 that had a Telonics speaker. It also had the older OPA2604 chips and sound was too "sterile". I changed them to the OPA2134's and both the chips and the different speaker were too much and made the amp too bright. I put the stock 4560 chips back in and just the Telonics speaker "cleans it up". I tried an Eminence Travis Toy 12" in the NV112 (with the stock 4560 chips) and it was too much mids and highs for me. The speaker change is a higher priced alternative, but it is an alternative.

Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2019 9:34 am    

Jack Stoner wrote:
If its not marked as "Made in China" it will have to be physically inspected.

FWIW, if you don't like the stock sound and have a newer one without chip sockets a speaker change to the Telonics will do the job. I recently bought a used NV112 that had a Telonics speaker. It also had the older OPA2604 chips and sound was too "sterile". I changed them to the OPA2134's and both the chips and the different speaker were too much and made the amp too bright. I put the stock 4560 chips back in and just the Telonics speaker "cleans it up". I tried an Eminence Travis Toy 12" in the NV112 (with the stock 4560 chips) and it was too much mids and highs for me. The speaker change is a higher priced alternative, but it is an alternative.

This has the PF-350 speaker so I have no comparison except that it is sterile and tricky to dial in

bob

John Limbach

Billings, Montana, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2019 11:06 am    

Ken Fox wrote:
First class amp, DIP chips. No issues with soldering or de-soldering. With proper soldering equipment it is easy. With the wrong equipment it could be a disaster.

Right on Ken. Piece of cake with a Hakko or other good vacuum desoldering tool. Took longer to get the chassis out and then back in than it did to rip out the old ones and install the sockets. Wouldn't try it with solder wick though. Those op amps will stand a lot of heat but why take the chance. I inevitably wind up burning my fingers going that way.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2019 11:48 am    

Quote:
This has the PF-350 speaker so I have no comparison except that it is sterile and tricky to dial in

The Paul Franklin speaker is not stock. It may be like the one I bought, had a different speaker plus different op-amp chips. That tends to make it sound "sterile".

My settings:
Bass +9, Mid -3 and 800Hz, High and Presence 0.

Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2019 12:15 pm    

Jack Stoner wrote:
Quote:

The Paul Franklin speaker is not stock. It may be like the one I bought, had a different speaker plus different op-amp chips. That tends to make it sound "sterile".

My settings:
Bass +9, Mid -3 and 800Hz, High and Presence 0.

I now it's not stock, LOL. That's the way I got it Smile (used)

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2019 6:03 am    

Sounds like the same tone problem that the Session 400 Limited had. I upgraded the chips in it and didn't help much. Still had to set presence 0 and treble nearly off. Maybe a bass speaker would help?
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.