The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question - Fender Pedal Steels
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2019 12:39 pm    

Could someone please tell me what year did Fender start building pedal steel guitars?
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2019 12:46 pm    

I came up with 1957.
Erv

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 21 Jun 2019 12:54 pm    

Thanks Erv,Greatly appreciated.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2019 1:24 pm    

Question 2:- When did they stop?

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2019 2:58 pm     Re: Question

Stu Schulman wrote:
Could someone please tell me what year did Fender start building pedal steel guitars?

Fender made and delivered prototypes to a few players as early as 1955, but they did not sell to the general public until 1957 (for the model 1000) and 1958 (for the model 400). They manufactured pedal guitars until 1976, and non-pedal guitars until 1981.

They also made one newer lap steel model in 2005, but it was discontinued a few years later, in 2009.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2019 1:40 am    

Thanks, Donny. I have always assumed they stopped because there wasn't the mass market they depended on with their other products.

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 22 Jun 2019 3:18 am    

The reason why I asked in the first place is because a guy who owns a shop in Anchorage said that he had a Fender pedal steel guitar that I could probably rent if I had to fly to anchorage for a few days like I do every April,So last night he posted a picture of a 1953 triple neck ...not a pedal steel guitar,Now I get to educate someone about the difference.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2019 3:40 am    

The keyword could be "pedal". Try that first.

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 22 Jun 2019 8:47 am    

Ian,yes!

Michael Sawyer

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2019 9:13 am    

I have 2 400's,one sunburst,one blonde.
The sunburst ,I was told was a '63,I think it was later.
The blonde is supposed to be a '59.

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2019 10:23 am    

I had an old Fender built by shobud. Heres a pic that looks like the one I had. Pretty good guitar but I eventually had to replace all of the Knee levers that broke. they were made of pot metal.

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2019 11:29 am    

Stu Schulman wrote:
The reason why I asked in the first place is because a guy who owns a shop in Anchorage said that he had a Fender pedal steel guitar that I could probably rent if I had to fly to anchorage for a few days like I do every April,So last night he posted a picture of a 1953 triple neck ...not a pedal steel guitar,Now I get to educate someone about the difference.

If you're looking for something vaguely similar to what you're already using, you might want to steer clear of Fender pedal steels. They are great instruments but most of them are 8 string necks without knee levers. They made a smaller number of 10 stringers (also without knee levers). There was an even smaller number of Sho~Bud built ones that were pretty much standard and another Fender model even rarer.

Many players (including Sneaky Pete) got some amazing stuff out of these guitars but if you're after an E9 in standard configuration that you can just sit down at and do a show then Fender probably isn't the way to go!