The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jeff Newman backing Bob Browning to perfection!
Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2019 7:13 am    

Jeff adds to Bob's amazing vocal. This is what most of us strive for. He connected to the lyrics,melody,vocalist etc. Playing in tune and not trying to top everybody. Tone to the bone.
https://youtu.be/zpwnjB4LWAI

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2019 11:00 am    

I worked with Bob Browning in 71/72 at Little Roy Wiggins' "Music City" lower Broadway music store. Bob was the salesman and I was the amp tech.

I remember him singing on several demo sessions. Bob is also a very good lead guitar and bass player and can even pick some pedal steel.

Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2019 11:45 am    

A very good "classic" example of how to back up a singer.

Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2019 12:33 pm     bob browning

Hi jack, years ago I was doing a gig at Mt.Juliet golf course and Bob came up and sang a few. Dan Gass had a little restaurant/bar also in Mt. Juliet. We played there for about a year and Bob came in occasionally and and sang a few.Probably aroundthe late 80's. I bet you have the stories you could tell about your time at little roy's

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2019 1:40 pm    

Bob Browning lived (still there?) in Mt Joliet.
Bob would get calls for weekend picking jobs and would give me a lot of them. I was learning pedal steel at the time and sometimes I would be lost with the "big boys". I played one gig with Chip Young.

I got to pick rhythm for Little Roy on shows we did there on the weekends. We would do Eddy Arnold songs and Bob would sing some of them. Roy would have one of his friends come over on Saturday afternoons either before or after the Saturday afternoon Opry shows and do about 30 minutes. I got to pick rhythm for Bill Monroe on one of those shows. I did others including Bill Carlisle and Charlie Louvin.

There were many jam sessions there during the week. One picker that comes to mind was lead guitar picker Odell Martin. He would come in and grab a cheap guitar off the rack and play the crap out of it. Odell was the lead picker in Faron Young's band at the time and also worked part-time at the Grammer Guitar factory.

Tom Keller

Greeneville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2019 2:26 pm    

Odell Martin was sure a great guitar player, his arrangements of tunes like Sugarfoot rag were hard to beat.

Tom Keller

Greeneville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2019 2:26 pm    

Odell Martin was sure a great guitar player, his arrangements of tunes like Sugarfoot rag were hard to beat.

Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2019 2:51 pm    

Thanks Jack for the great stories about those "Wonder Years"of our lives!"

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2019 5:11 pm     Re: Jeff Newman backing Bob Browning to perfection!

Joe Krumel wrote:
Jeff adds to Bob's amazing vocal. This is what most of us strive for. He connected to the lyrics,melody,vocalist etc. Playing in tune and not trying to top everybody. Tone to the bone.
https://youtu.be/zpwnjB4LWAI

I get chills every time I hear this one.
The solo is tabbed out here: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=309657&highlight=browning

bob drawbaugh

scottsboro, al. usa
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2019 4:13 pm    

I had a front row seat, it was more like setting on the floor right in front of Jeff. It was 1981, I think, it was at Jeff's C6th seminar in St Louis. Jeff and Bob played this song and I also had my crappy cassette recorder going. As a 20 year old kid I was speechless. That day Jeff became one of my favorite steel players and Bob became one of my favorite sanger. I converted that track to digital and still listen to after all these years. A far as I'm concerned it's a timeless classic.