The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  E9 + C6 > e=mc2
Gary Watkins

Bristol, VA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2019 5:03 pm    

Trying to learn C6 is starting to take its toll on me. I don’t think I will ever be able to do it. I’ve got a keyless GFI D-10, and I am seriously thinking about trading it for a SD10 or a U12. How long did it take before the C6 started to “click” for you?

Jon Voth

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2019 8:21 pm    

Hi Gary, very close to you right between Mannasass and Dale City.

Keep that D10- you have nothing to lose. It's a great arm rest. It will be there when you need it. There are cool things that you can do, specific to that, even if you learn a couple songs only by rote like I do.

I think PF said it's his favorite neck, and someday, more and more, I'll learn and get into that as time goes.

I think it is very cool, beyond me at the moment, but don't get rid of it!

Jon

Jon Voth

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2019 8:28 pm    

Gary, sorry I thought "Bristow" instead of Bristol, VA.

Not next door but still in same state.

Jon

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2019 11:04 pm    

Think of pedals 5 & 6 as your "home" pedals. Each of them gives you a 9th chord. P5 is the II9 (D9th with root on the 10th string), and P6 is the IV9 (F9th with root on the 9th string). Using both pedals together makes a diminished chord, which usually sounds good when transitioning from one chord to another.

Pedal 7 gives you another 6th chord on the high strings - G6th.

In western swing, you often use a 6th chord instead of a major, and a 9th chord instead of a 7th. So with those 3 pedals, you have 2 positions for 6th chords and 2 positions for 9th chords.

I hope that helps you get started on C6th. Herb Steiner showed me that at a steel show and all of sudden it started to "click" for me.

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2019 11:35 pm    

There is a great C6 introduction video by Jeff Newman.
He makes the case that the C6 tuning is simpler than E9. I was a bit intimidated to try it, but after a short while on the method, he convinced me.
I’m not a C6 player, but I do recommend Jeff’s video as an easy way to understand the neck.
John

Gary Spaeth

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2019 4:54 am    

if you just use the low strings for twangy guitar it's worth having. lots of fun. get buddy's basic c6 from jim palenscar. i didn't have a clue until i got that. he explains the theory of the neck that you won't get from just memorizing songs.https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1j26XDXD-bkQLAKLCdSbMhJcObE9qFLoz8f1XRMz13ig/edit#gid=321428521

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2019 5:51 am    

Gary,
In my 50 years of playing, 20 years of that my C6 neck really wasn't used. After that I really got into it.

I wrote this lesson so that players could take standard E9th tunes like Crazy Arms & play it on C6. It takes you through a very familiar tune showing you chord melody and not single string blazing speed licks.

You can take the same melody chord blocks and apply it to other tunes. It gets you familiar with that part of C6.

CLICK ME

Hang in there!
Ron

Slim Heilpern

Aptos California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2019 5:58 am    

Gary Spaeth wrote:
... get buddy's basic c6 from jim palenscar. i didn't have a clue until i got that. he explains the theory of the neck that you won't get from just memorizing songs.https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1j26XDXD-bkQLAKLCdSbMhJcObE9qFLoz8f1XRMz13ig/edit#gid=321428521

I second that. In my case, it was listening to Buddy explain the basic concepts and slowly working through his examples that clarified things for me.

- Slim

John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2019 6:02 am    

Paul Franklin tips on viewing the C6 Tuning: C6 Tuning

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2019 6:41 am    

Just to add, I wished years ago that Paul's method was out. I would have jumped on it.

CLICK ME

Also, as stated, the Basic C6 by Buddy is a must. But you have to study it over and over again as you'll learn something every time. Even years later. I listen to it in my car every so often and it becomes clearer every time.

Sample of playing both E9th and C6th on one tune:

CLICK ME

Regards,
Ron

Gary Watkins

Bristol, VA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2019 6:54 am    

John Spaulding wrote:
Paul Franklin tips on viewing the C6 Tuning: C6 Tuning

I am on disability and a fixed income, and I can't afford his course. I am sure it is worth it, but I just can't make it work with the money that I have. At times, getting strings can be a problem, LOL!!! Maybe I'll be able to get Ron Hogan's course before too long. I guess I'll keep it.
Here is a picture of it. It's not the picture that I took, but it's my steel.

Last edited by Gary Watkins on 21 Jun 2019 6:57 am; edited 2 times in total

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2019 6:56 am    

Nice instrument. To me there are two differences between the necks which are confusing until you've studied a method such as Buddy's.

On E9 the pedals give you notes within the scale, whereas on C6 they give you notes outside it - for modulation purposes as b0b says.

And E9 chords usually contain the root whereas C6 ones often don't, making them hard to identify at first.

From a harmony viewpoint, on C6 you have to think more vertically than horizontally.

So three differences Smile

Gary Watkins

Bristol, VA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2019 7:09 am    

Even if I never learn to play C6, I'll look good sitting behind it, LOL

Last edited by Gary Watkins on 31 Jul 2019 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2019 8:40 am    

Gary,
Your guitar is REALLY nice and GFI's are built well.

If you send me your address, I'll send you the lesson for free. LONG LIVE C6!

Ron Hogan

Gary Watkins

Bristol, VA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2019 9:35 am    

Ron Hogan wrote:
Gary,

Ron Hogan

Ron,
I really appreciate the offer, but you don't have to do that. Hopefully in a few months, I'll have the money to pay for it. Thanks so much!

Gary

John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2019 11:27 am    

That's a link to a 5 minute video discussing an approach to the tuning, it's not an ad for any Course. Thought it might help.

Quote:
I am on disability and a fixed income, and I can't afford his course. I am sure it is worth it, but I just can't make it work with the money that I have. At times, getting strings can be a problem, LOL!!! Maybe I'll be able to get Ron Hogan's course before too long.

Gary Watkins

Bristol, VA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2020 6:39 am    

Ron Hogan wrote:
Gary,

Ron Hogan

Ron,
How much is that lesson? Do you have KING OF THE ROAD and if so, how much. I am going to try to keep this steel when I get out of the hospital. https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=352603&highlight=

Thanks,
Gary Watkins

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2020 10:38 am    

Hi Gary,
It’s $22.00 including shipping for king of the road

Ron

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2020 10:54 am    

b0b wrote:
Think of pedals 5 & 6 as your "home" pedals. Each of them gives you a 9th chord. P5 is the II9 (D9th with root on the 10th string), and P6 is the IV9 (F9th with root on the 9th string). Using both pedals together makes a diminished chord, which usually sounds good when transitioning from one chord to another.

Pedal 7 gives you another 6th chord on the high strings - G6th.

In western swing, you often use a 6th chord instead of a major, and a 9th chord instead of a 7th. So with those 3 pedals, you have 2 positions for 6th chords and 2 positions for 9th chords.

I hope that helps you get started on C6th. Herb Steiner showed me that at a steel show and all of sudden it started to "click" for me.

Per what Bob said, the sample that I did is just using pedals five and six and one knee lever lowering the third string. So you can do a lot with a very basic set up. Actually a lot of the buddy Emmons licks were with basic set up.

https://youtu.be/f-qGPh5nW2c

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2020 6:43 pm    

Hey Gary, Don't throw in the towel!! I was never a big C6 player at one time, but, well worth the venture. Some of the songs I would normally play on E9th I have been playing them in C6. They are not complex songs, but they are a great way to feel your way into the back neck.